• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Jerky in smoker

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Hey Bam...
What's that flap called that you trim from spare ribs that ends up looking like a pounded pork chop?

I don't know if there's a name for it, but if you smoke it over hickory until it's shoe leather, you've just made some killer jerky.

I did some ribs but I left those trimmings smoking for hours and hours, and yeah... it's jerky for sure.

DRUNK here so may not make sense.

thehotpepper.com said:
Hey Bam...
What's that flap called that you trim from spare ribs that ends up looking like a pounded pork chop?

I don't know if there's a name for it, but if you smoke it over hickory until it's shoe leather, you've just made some killer jerky.

I did some ribs but I left those trimmings smoking for hours and hours, and yeah... it's jerky for sure.

DRUNK here so may not make sense.

i just call them rib trimmings..lol

i put them in along with my ribs.. i rub them and sauce them the same way, when the ribs are done i pull them off as well...then i use them for beans

like this

rib tips and pieces.
1zgazx0.jpg

you know that feeling when you make a dish and you just know it doesnt get any better? well this is the one and i finally wrote exact measurements..lol

i have made lots of beans and this one is by far the best i have ever made.

all finished
2r56ypi.jpg

2 lbs dry Great Northern Beans (any white bean will do)
1 large red onion, chopped roughly
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/3 cup ketchup
2 TBLS prepared mustard
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup molasses
1 cup brown sugar
1-2 lbs smoked/bbq'd rib tips/trimmings
4-5-6-7-8 pieces of bacon, chopped
S & P to taste

soak your beans in cool unsalted water the night before you want to use them.

the next morning...

add all your sauce mixture including garlic and onions to a large crockpot. add your beans and stir well. to the top add the smoked meat. add enough water to cover the beans.(you may have to add more as it cooks.)

cook on high for the first 3 hours, add bacon, then cook on low for an additional 5-6 hours or until done.

Cool. Looks good. Yeah next time leave those trimming on till they dry out, and if you've seasoned well, you have some jerky.

Back