• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Jiffy pellets, poor germination rates

So, what am I doing wrong?
If I plant seed straight into pots, I'm getting a really good germination rate but out of 60 odd jiffy pellets, I've had 3 seeds germinate.
It's pretty hot up here and I'm suspecting I'm overwatering to keep the moisture content high enough during the day to prevent the seeds drying out.
I've dissected a couple of the pellets and found plump seeds inside with no apparent mould but also no signs of germination.
Rather disappointed at the moment.

I had problems after germination with them damping off...

overwatering might be part of your issue, especially if you use the "self-watering" one like my first doomed tray.  The regular ones are much better.  Best thing I've found is to dump the condensation elsewhere a few times a day *shrug*

What kind of temperatures are you trying to germ in?

Just outdoors, ~40C during the day, in plastic takeaway containers with the lids on and one corner cracked.
I did start then inside on a windowsill but I think it might have been too cool inside.
I've just tried in another container with just kitchen paper with the lid in and see how that goes.
If I don't have much luck that way I'm just going to plant straight into pots, I seem to have minimal issues that way. Perhaps the added amount of soil keeps a more consistent moisture level during the day.

I pulled my dome off my jiffy pellets for good after I noticed small clumps of mold growing on the 3rd day after I planted the seeds. The pellets stayed moist and I sprayed them a little to keep them that way, but the mold problems went away and so far, 146 out of 150 seeds planted have come up. If the seeds haven't rotted away, you either have bad seed or the seeds just need more time.

How long has it been since you planted your seeds?

Also, if it's 40 C outside, it may be much hotter under the dome. It's also possible that your seeds got cooked from the heat, but only if it got pretty hot in there.

Nightshade said:
10 days is not a long time to wait

indeed! 

Also how cool is "too cool", if it were 40C outside I'd probably prefer to leave them without a lid, or bring them inside. As has been mentioned, could have been cooked...apparently germination also becomes erratic over 38C. Not that I ever see that, being in the UK :)

Sounds to me like its too hot. I get the best results when inside my little dome germinating thingy is about 30C. Put it in the shade maybe? My anuums have normally all hooked by the 10 day mark but chinenses can take a fair while longer. I normally call it done at 4 weeks unless I got something special in the pods that is known to have long germ times.

Back