• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ 2013 Glog- C'est fini. -awmost.

So,I may as well grow them, eh?

I started back gardening last year, but I left it to my co-gardener mostly to come up with pepper plants. We had some Bells, and Cayenne, a Carrot pepper, a black Jap, Hungarian sweet, maybe a Bullnose, Then I bought a 4 pack each of Anaheims and Jimmy Nardellos. I set out a little Shoshito start in July and it had a lot of fruit considering. Nothing here to write home about. The Jimmy's did ok. 2 of the Anaheims weren't true (and a cow at half of one of them), one did ok. The last one I planted in a new asparagus bed and the first week some sucky bug drilled it right in forehead and wilted the top. I started to pull it out, but thought, "no harm to leave it to see what would happen". I pinched the wilt off. That pepper forked an by frost it had held its own with the asparagus which hit about 6 foot. I pulled the whole plant day before frost, and it had about 50 nice peppers on it. I blistered and smoked them all.
zvyniq.jpg

But this year I'm gonna be pepper pro-active. Thanks to Durham Bull, I have a treasure house of Capscium genes -Bhuts, Scorpions, and the likes -none of which I'd ever heard of a year ago. The generosity of this community seems to only be matched by it passion for peppers. I dig it. Plus I was in at another site with an online seed blind swap and ended up with some mildly hot goodies.

Well I've never grown a pepper from seed. Never. So yet another new door. Bought a heat mat, I've got onions about to come off it now. After Spicy Chicken's glog, I liked his grow station and thought I'd buy some shelves and put overhead fluorescent on them. I had a domestic conversation about where to put the shelves and lost amicably. So I guess I'll have to finally clean out my toolshed after only 4 years to make room.

27y1gmo.jpg

It has a skylight about, 30" x 96", but no heat, no electricity. But I think I can get by with an extension cord, and will have to pick up a little propane heater to knock the chill off. Peppers aren't safe outside here until mid-May.

Yesterday, I got my shelves assembled with one light installed - a 4x4' T8 fixture w/ 6500ks.

96ccnl.jpg

Plan is to wire them on to a gang of light switches, maybe a timer, cover it with Reflectrix movable curtains, some small fans.

I'd appreciate any advice, especially since I'm in the early build phase.

I'm shooting for about 100-150 plants if there's room -some to wind up in rows, some in beds, some into containers, some to share

A friend is sending me some more seeds today I believe, so I'll be closer to a final grow list when I see what that brings.

Thanks for reading and for any words of wisdom you can share.

Great looking grow, JJJ.  I love those spiders.  Lived in an apartment once that was missing a screen on one of only two windows that would open.  Too hot to keep it closed, but had a problem with bugs getting in.  One of those spiders set up shop and built a web right across the window opening.  Kept the bugs out and provided entertainment, as well.

Bless you for the terrific warning JJJ.  The pods look delicious.  Love it when things start to get rainbow like in the garden.  Color Color everywhere.

This much.

out of a possible this much.

about 2500 gal.

About the only thing I'll need it for will be carrots. These are about a month from sowing

and maybe getting fall greens and onions started if fall turns dry.

oh yeah, seaweed.

My container plants started good but played out, I used fish and other ferts but nothing  really made them pop. 
I vacatationed at the beach and brought back a few grocery bags of seaweed. I didn't make a tea (2 lazy) I just mulched with it.
This IC Bhut J started getting good color in the new growth in about a week.

Thought I had a pair of Ecuador Lemon peppers, but they turned out to be Bhuts, ya think?

Black Nagas didn't or haven't hit their stride but I'll have a few pods out of 3 plants

Non-peppers
Bad mater season and I was no help. Never have been a good mater staker.
This a Kosovo; a big early, pink oxheart.

I've had a few "pounders" but the rainrainrain is making them splitsplitsplit, so I'm trying to pick a little early.

I planted two cushaw plants in my hot bed in April but the top dressing was way to "woody".The plants like to never pulled through their initial funk.
The vine is still no monster but this fruit is  about as big as I've grown or even seen really.
It's about 24+" long, plenty of neck meat.

I've got 4 other plants with several almost this big.

I've got a 100' row of beans for drying -mostly Black Turtles, 

They've done well, but I fear them molding if the weather don't straighten out and fly right ;)

Thanks for reading
JJJ

Well harvesting is going to be a busy time this year!

Plants are really coming along well!

I would love to have a rain water storage system like that! Got any good pointers on where to purchase a tank like that at a reasonable price?

Scott, Plasti-Mart ended up being the best cost source for me. Your Texas location may have a better shipping rate, about $275 for me. 3000 gal is more bang for the buck, but due to shipping, 2500 gal was a better deal.

Temperature rising!

Fatalli just became my favorite pepper this weekend. 
Cut one open and it's like your nose getting mugged by a gang of lemons; a touch to the tongue gives you an tingling flash head to toe.

Friday night I smoked that tray of Kosovo tomatoes, a store onion, a few Sante Fe peppers for an hour or two and finished them off in the oven.
Dumped it into the processor with a few of the J Nards, and one and a half of those Fatallis,  a few roasted garlic cloves, salt and a pinch of cumin. It made about a quart. The Fatalli citrus still cut right to the chase followed by a pleasant glow that built slowly with a warm flush that never got out of control. That quart is gone. What to do?

Tom Fatalli on the left and Tom Naga right with some guest Hab.

The Naga(Dorset) has a T-totally different flavor set and a tad more heat sampled raw than the Fatalli. Almost a floral but head first perfume. It'll take me awhile figure out it's complements. Made a good enough tomato salsa but I think it will shine brighter on a different base. 

Make some more!!! Haha...great updates Triple J! I love me some fatalii too! Great pod on an even better plant. Those things are freakin pod factories! You sure this is your first year growing all these crazy peppers? Workin it like a pro!

JJJessee said:
Scott, Plasti-Mart ended up being the best cost source for me. Your Texas location may have a better shipping rate, about $275 for me. 3000 gal is more bang for the buck, but due to shipping, 2500 gal was a better deal.
Thanks for the info! I have to compare the local prices here, one place has them on the side of the road..

fatalii is on my list for next year, that tray full looks great!

Another fatalii fantastic fanatic! I'm with Shane: "make more!"

That cushaw looks like it's gonna be 1. heavy and then 2. tasty!

Lousy year for maters with all the rain. Had some Pink Berkley Tie-Dyes that have been good, Brandy Boys, and there was one huge Black Krim waiting to pull (huge) and as I watched it, felt it, the groundhog was watching me. He was quick with a tomato that I basically told him was ripe. Still waiting and waiting on the Red Boar. Have yours been more watery than usual, or would that be a ridiculous question to ask?

But back to the important things, yellow fataliis . . . so versatile! I'm officially predicting a dry, HOT, September in "the vicinity."

Yeap, Fatallis are my new favorite until something else ripes.;). Can't say my maters are especially watery, but improper staking was my biggest fault. Next year I'm setting steel post and running brace wire or woven wire fencing,

Man it's been too long since I checked in on your grow. Fatalii is positively one of my most favorite peppers. Save a couple of those bad boys and go find some apples and a little good Bourbon and make up a batch of Bourbon Fatalii Apple Butter, testify Annie :) There's just something magical about that combination, 

Yeah, Annie, testuhfy! Apples yeah, fatalli oh yeah, bourbon hell yeah! I'm a big apple fan since a couple of good cider runs.

First recipe:

Friday night smokin

Time to take off the hot ones

Left the J Nard and elephant garlic until good and soft

First recipe:
roasted/smoked fixings for a nice warm srirachi style sauce.

Elephant garlic 82g
Jimmy Nardellos sweet red peppers 112g
Rice vinegar 79g
Water 119g
3 Dorset nagas
Salt 2g. ( 1/2 teas)
Peppers were de-seeded after roasting

Back