• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2014.....in summary

Whew!
2013 Swirling down the Drain of Time.

Washing the 10x20s for a New Year.

By last October I was so peppered out  -40 some superhot plants and over twice that many mild and sweets. Didn't think I'd ever see the end of it. But, an early surprise freeze caught me off guard and I lost several mild and sweeties. I did get almost the entire superhot crop, dried, smoked, fermented, frozen or pickled. so I should have no dearth of heat to see me through to 2014 harvest.

I owe most of my pepper success in 2013 to YOU.
All the folks here at THP helped me from seed, to advice, to encouragement, to inspiration.  Couldn't have done it without y'all.

Some changes for 2014:

I'm moving my Cappy 1000 Pepper Incubator into my  basement utility room. Last year I had it in a minimally heated out building and the night times often dipped into the 50s or lower. And come to find out, baby peppers don't much care for that. They survived, they were just slow growers.

Dirt:

Fox Farms Ocean Forest will be my potting mix. It's organic and hopefully will be as good as the Miracle Grow Moisture Control and it can't be any worse than my home-brew last year which wasn't horrible but coulda been better.

Timing:

Instead of putting most of my seed in the ground in early February, I'm going to hold off until later on the Annums. The Chinensis at least some in early - mid January and some Manzano seeds earlier than that if I can find them. :rolleyes:

How Many for Plant Out?:

Not 140.
I'm devoting 2 raised beds -a 4x30 and a 4x16 to Sweet Peppers -Jimmy Nardello, King of the North, Gaint Marconis, Aji Dulce. About 26 plants. 
100' in my row garden. Probably 40 plant's. Haven't decided on the balance, Bhuts, 7 pot, Habs, Bonnets, Jalas, the usual suspects and a few odd balls.
66 plants +/- total. I totally neglected my maters last year(which given the season didn't make much difference), but this year I vow to do better by tomatoes. I hope to do 50 or so -all heirlooms, mostly paste.
I'll start several more of both than needed for selling and give-aways.

In related news....

My buddy up in Richmond grew a lot of peppers last year. He has a geodesic dome greenhouse. At the end of season he just dug up several of his pepper plants and moved them in inside.

They're looking pretty good for late December.

My last "harvest" of 2013 was 12/22/13; some Thai Chilis that I'd pulled the whole plants in October and just laid up on a table outside. Most had dried leather-hard.

I pulled, cooked, seasoned, ground and strained them into a sauce for Pad Thai for this winter.

Everything subject to change without notice.
(But I'll keep you posted)

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

Thanks guys,

maximumcapsicum said:
Hardening off looks like it's going according to plan! The OF is a great tool for getting the most out of the plants. I think they'd all be two foot high if I had better light accommodations here. Can't wait to start getting them in the ground!
I'm with you on getting them in the ground. I've got 2 months, and if  the current crowding continues, I'm expecting open rebellion or worse. I had no idea the plants would grow like this based on last year's grow. I blame a lot of it on OF :D

Devv said:
Looks lie the baby sitter earned his or her keep!

Keep it green!
Yeap, she did, She's a Vista worker from CO that stays with us. A pleasant young woman with a great attitude.

stc3248 said:
Looking really good over here! Sorry to hear about the aphids, but the plants don't look to be too bothered. Those birgits are crazy growers...whether or not you give them what they want they stretch for the sky. A lot of light and a strong fan will beef that one up a bit. Hope your starts do ok in this cold spell!
Aphids are a daily battle. I'm in seek 'n crush mode now and I seem to be winning at the moment. I'm thing about taking the tall birgit to my friend in Richmond who has a greenhouse and an earlier plant out. We're on the back side of the harsh cold as of today I think :pray: and no frost even in the 10 day.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Things are looking good.  Your onions look very impressive.  I definitely planted mine in too big of pan lol
I wish my transplanted starts looked as good. These are scallions that I'm leaving put until they go in the ground.

Here are the Dixondale starts. 

I'm gonna have to hand water, until I get my irrigation back on line  for spring and collect some water.

The small garlic has filled in nicely.

Although it has survived a hard winter under light row-cover, I picked a mess of the new growth ahead of yesterday's freeze.

Got the sides on Hugelgrave

One month updates. Meet the Bhuts thanks to Jamison.

These are all BOCs. All in OF.

The Reds.

Not quite as lusty as the BOCs which were a few days older at pot up time. 
I might be moving them too early, even though they take well, it may be hard on the cotys to move them in less than 48 hrs.
Of course the varietal difference matters too.
Coir on the back row.

Thanks for reading. 

Love what you're doing with the beds, preparation is a ton of work. But half the fun!

Plants are looking really healthy! looking forward to seeing this all come together.

Jamison's bhuts are kicking ass. Got one almost 20" tall here... definitely the most vigorous of my supers atm, unless you count the Barrackpore X Chiltepin cross. Love your pics!

Spinach and garlic! Both fantastic crops. Jealous of your spinach. Amazing how cold tolerant it is. Had it survive after being buried in snow for two days.

Keep on growin!

Thanks guys,

I think my later sown plants are coming on a little slower than the early birds. A canopy issue me thinks. I hope I'm better prepped with seeds next year to start them close together. But you know how have it is with seeds in winter. :D

OK
2 month updates

WAVE 2 breginnings

oops...drifting into Nonia....some early maters

and the old interloper at 2 months

been grazed heavily...

I'm doing more of this come Novbember!

No update on a one month Jay's Peach and a Jigsaw.
Just didn't feel like fishing them out of the canopy since they don't need water.
I've got sunshine and a stash of other roundtuits burning a hole in my pocket. :D

Thanks for reading.

Thanks guys,

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plants are looking well.  May Queen had me doing a little stairway here.
:rofl: I hadn't thought of that  particular May Queen. That song is so, so deep in our culture. I still get chills listening to it occasionally.
If you missed this version  at the Kennedy Center, it's worth a listen.

Into the dirt.

I got a roundtuit for mixing, or at least collecting, dirt today.

The other day I cobbled up a 1/2" screen to go with my little 1/4"

I sifted and bagged about 3 cu ft of the compost I get from the waste treatment plant.
The said they do testing for salomonella and E. coli. It gets very hot, so microbes of all stripes are probably at pretty low levels.

Then I moved to a pile of wood chips I scored from a tree trimming crew. It only made it to about 110° after I piled it.
I mixed in several gallons of yeast cake/hop sludge from the local brewery, but it still never got very hot.
Yeast won't work wood, but I figured they would be good chow for something.

I got maybe a couple cu ft of this. Very similar output as the waste treatment, but I could detect more "rich soil gases" by nose.
Also some visible fungi, and a few little critters -millipedes and tiny, tiny worms of some sort.

Then I went into the back yard to one of several leaf piles I've been working on for almost half my life.

along the way...

We just basically rake them out of our "yard" into the wooded area and leave them. Sometimes I run a mower through them.
I get a little every now and then for plants.

Today I harvested about 4 cu ft

In the end, we're all dirt.

Potted up the first of Wave 2

Poblanos. 2 of them in the pure leaf mold.
I do intend to feed them some dilute Sea Bird guano tea, kelp juice, and GO CaMg once they get on their feet.
It is the spongiest of the three mediums i collected today, but I'm still very concerned about compaction; especially once it's imprisoned in a little plastic pot. 
I just wanted to try it straight-up before I start tweaking so I'll know where I am.

I found my missing One Monthers

My one and only Jay's Peach.

and

the oldest of my Jigsaws.
Since they're are on the tail-end of Wave 1, you can see they've had a struggle elbowing their way up into the canopy.

And the 2 Month ladies...Bonda ma Jaques....oui!oui!oui!

They have become quiet lusty, Some battle scars, I got a little heavy handed with the water when I switched to bottom watering.
I'll figure it out eventually.

That's all I got.
Thanks for reading.

Looking good JJJ!

Glad you found a roundtuit today!

24 year old leaf pile? There has to be some good stuff at the bottom, heck it rains there! I have a soaker hose going on mine ATM and added some cow poo. Went out with the tractor and a pitchfork and scarfed a yard. Sure glad they use the same spot all the time ;)

I guess I have potty trained cows..LOL

I like the sifting boxes you made, I bet they work great! I have a bunch of aged wood chips with a lot of powder, need to make one...

Like the circular saw blade plant! I'm very interested in how those Jigsaw's will taste, supposed to be Mas Caliente!

You literally have a ton of products to add to your raised beds. Good stuff!

The rest of the plants are looking great, you're in for a very productive season for sure!

One of the reasons LB and I moved out this way was because of the rivers. When we lived near Houston they were a 3 hour drive minimum. Here they're an hour away, one t the East, the other to the West. I've never gone kayaking, we just going tubing...with an extra one for the cooler of course :D

Enjoy the trip and be safe!

JJJessee said:
Thanks guys,

:rofl: I hadn't thought of that  particular May Queen. That song is so, so deep in our culture. I still get chills listening to it occasionally.
If you missed this version  at the Kennedy Center, it's worth a listen.

I totally missed the reference myself. Lately I have a no Zeplin policy, same with AC/DC. I think I heard them 2 bazillion times. I'm done with them for now. Time for some new stuff.

Speaking of Heart, as chick rockers go, I think Halestorm's remake is about as good as you can get for a remake.

Plants look great. The leaf mold looks outstanding. Lots of good stuff in that pile for sure.

Love the soil building JJJ! Wish I had an oak leaf pile I'd been working on half my life. I bet the plants love it. 

Jigsaw looks great! Keep the pics comin!

Damn you sure got a lot going on!!! Looking stellar as always! Homegrown lettuce, spinach and garlic...mmmm. Peppers look like they're as anxious as you are to got outside!!!

Great looking plants and nice comparison shots. I also appreciate seeing the photos of "whats happening outside" ion your land. There's some rich humus amongst and under those leaves. Your BOC's look plush...and the Birgit will be a monster.
Can't wait to see what your garden looks like mid July..

Love your setup JJJ, and your starter plants are all looking great! I particularly like the forkage on your Manzanos... way to go! I'll have to read up on the wood grave technique... I thought that rotting wood deprived the soil of Nitrogen for a year or so, but maybe that can be compensated for in the short run. Love the pics of Crocus and Iris flowers, it'll be a few weeks before they pop out here... we still have 2 inches of icy snow on the ground here, but the Maple sap is running and the migratory birds are coming back. I saw a couple of Redtail Hawks on the nest yesterday and a few hundred Canada Geese resting up on a river before pushing further north. It takes the Onions a while to really get started from seed, but I think they stay thin at first so they don't have much surface area for the blustery spring winds to toss around. When things level out a little later, they just explode with growth if the light, soil nutes and water are right. Continued success brother!
   Funny you should mention selling seeds when you were a kid... I did too, and instead of taking my profits in cash, I got a chemistry set to experiment with. Cheers!

Back