• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2014.....in summary

Whew!
2013 Swirling down the Drain of Time.

Washing the 10x20s for a New Year.

By last October I was so peppered out  -40 some superhot plants and over twice that many mild and sweets. Didn't think I'd ever see the end of it. But, an early surprise freeze caught me off guard and I lost several mild and sweeties. I did get almost the entire superhot crop, dried, smoked, fermented, frozen or pickled. so I should have no dearth of heat to see me through to 2014 harvest.

I owe most of my pepper success in 2013 to YOU.
All the folks here at THP helped me from seed, to advice, to encouragement, to inspiration.  Couldn't have done it without y'all.

Some changes for 2014:

I'm moving my Cappy 1000 Pepper Incubator into my  basement utility room. Last year I had it in a minimally heated out building and the night times often dipped into the 50s or lower. And come to find out, baby peppers don't much care for that. They survived, they were just slow growers.

Dirt:

Fox Farms Ocean Forest will be my potting mix. It's organic and hopefully will be as good as the Miracle Grow Moisture Control and it can't be any worse than my home-brew last year which wasn't horrible but coulda been better.

Timing:

Instead of putting most of my seed in the ground in early February, I'm going to hold off until later on the Annums. The Chinensis at least some in early - mid January and some Manzano seeds earlier than that if I can find them. :rolleyes:

How Many for Plant Out?:

Not 140.
I'm devoting 2 raised beds -a 4x30 and a 4x16 to Sweet Peppers -Jimmy Nardello, King of the North, Gaint Marconis, Aji Dulce. About 26 plants. 
100' in my row garden. Probably 40 plant's. Haven't decided on the balance, Bhuts, 7 pot, Habs, Bonnets, Jalas, the usual suspects and a few odd balls.
66 plants +/- total. I totally neglected my maters last year(which given the season didn't make much difference), but this year I vow to do better by tomatoes. I hope to do 50 or so -all heirlooms, mostly paste.
I'll start several more of both than needed for selling and give-aways.

In related news....

My buddy up in Richmond grew a lot of peppers last year. He has a geodesic dome greenhouse. At the end of season he just dug up several of his pepper plants and moved them in inside.

They're looking pretty good for late December.

My last "harvest" of 2013 was 12/22/13; some Thai Chilis that I'd pulled the whole plants in October and just laid up on a table outside. Most had dried leather-hard.

I pulled, cooked, seasoned, ground and strained them into a sauce for Pad Thai for this winter.

Everything subject to change without notice.
(But I'll keep you posted)

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

Thanks, guys.
Along the way, the garlic looked like it may not do as well as last year, but I think they came out better than I was thinking.
I ruined a lot of garlic last year by washing it before curing it.
This year it's drying up nicely.

I went ahead and gathered my  onions, except the cipollinis (mostly not pulled yet).

588K6Ekl.jpg

Tomatoes....

laSXIRzl.jpg

(Pink Berkeley Tie Dye)

....for the most part are a ways off. They are doing fine, they are handling the rain well since the ripening is still aways off. 
I pruned them like crazy for a week or two and now they seem to have slowed down vegetatively.

I'll pick a couple tomorrow, but it will be spotty for a while still.

Rick is growing some of these I believe.

24EyWS9l.jpg

;)

On to poblanos

4q7RZCXl.jpg

I'm a little puzzled by the veg nature of these plants. Leaves seem to be smallish, but it acts like it wants to be a big plant.
Only one pod set from a pot-flower. It's already acting floppy with no real weight on it??? Negative Nancy that I am, I'll be surprised if it's not a problem plant. 

About the last peppers I sowed were Biker Billys.

zUGlYGbl.jpg

First pod. Not much heat yet. Probably pulled too soon.
I'll wait longer on the next one.

No heat in these, but they are making some tasty snacks.

SiyZySsl.jpg

713m2yOl.jpg

In the best of all possible worlds, I'd have a stainless wire mesh barrel to roll a half bushel at a time of these things
over a charcoal fire in a brick furnace super charged with airflow from a hairdryer.
Never hurts to dream.

540ehjLl.jpg

The Biker Billy made a nice little wrap condiment chopped with some carrot, garlic and sour cream.

D53gXcGl.jpg

m4xw5CMl.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Onions and Garlic are looking stellar TJ! Do you have a cellar hatchway? I cure mine on the steps underneath with the hatchway closed. It gets quite warm underneath, but the bulbs are out of the sun so they don't scald and soften. Beautiful looking tomatoes too! Michelin Tire Tomato... heh, heh... :P

I've never had a problem with skinny Poblanos as long as I did adequate soil prep, but I can tell you that they have brittle stems, and a squall can snap them... especially if they're loaded down with pods. I recommend growing them in tomato cages, and staking down the cages when they get to bearing in a big way.

Drive on TJ!

Very nice JJJ!

Plants are simply loaded up!

Nice garlic and onion harvest, just can't beat homegrown produce! I still have the last of the onions hanging outside in the shade of the back porch.

And see the rain gods didn't forget about you.

Keep doing what you're doing man!

stickman said:
Onions and Garlic are looking stellar TJ! Do you have a cellar hatchway? I cure mine on the steps underneath with the hatchway closed. It gets quite warm underneath, but the bulbs are out of the sun so they don't scald and soften. Beautiful looking tomatoes too! Michelin Tire Tomato... heh, heh... :P

I've never had a problem with skinny Poblanos as long as I did adequate soil prep, but I can tell you that they have brittle stems, and a squall can snap them... especially if they're loaded down with pods. I recommend growing them in tomato cages, and staking down the cages when they get to bearing in a big way.

Drive on TJ!
Thanks, Rick. I know what you mean on the hatchway it would be good, but haven't had a house with one in over 30 years. I've got my onions on my front porch. :D
The garlics been hangin' a while and drying out good this year. It's almost done. I've had a fan on it because of all the humidity. Speaking of brittle. We've had an inch of rain in the last 48 hours. In I should know not to mess with peppers, even if in distress, if they have pumped their cells full of water. A case in point. :(

ZedbmLxl.jpg

This MoA was leaning a little but probably could have waited a day or so before trying to prop it up proper.

I no sooner than touched the plant when.....
mOMcLT3l.jpg

it split 3 ways.

It was gonna be pretty too.
zszfsXyl.jpg

O well. The others are probably looking good too. I didn't want to mess with them after this.

Devv said:
Very nice JJJ!

Plants are simply loaded up!

Nice garlic and onion harvest, just can't beat homegrown produce! I still have the last of the onions hanging outside in the shade of the back porch.

And see the rain gods didn't forget about you.

Keep doing what you're doing man!

Thanks, Scott. Yeah home grown can't be beat. I got my first zucc today, summer is consummated. Tomatoes are begining to turn and  could start to suffer if the rain doesn't easy up a little. I had a little ripe sauce mater split already. I pulled a few others close to ripe to avoid that fate. Surely it won't be as bad as last year. I'm ready to start some fall brassicas. I've been leery of trying because of cabbage worms, but going to give'em a try. Got my carrots in the ground less than an hour before we had a good day of rain.

tWYz28ol.jpg

Tomorrow I've got some lettuce to get in the ground.

QNWvAWyl.jpg

The celery I'm gonna try to hold back. First try on stalk celery.

Sawyer said:
Looking good, JJJ.  I've got some Heritage 6-4 growing, too, but they aren't producing yet.  I've pulled my potato onions and the shallots will come up soon, maybe this weekend. 
 Thanks, John. Shallots are the bomb!. I grew a few hybrids from seed in 2012.  I wouldn't mind getting some of the heirlooms started some day. My grandmother gave me a start of potato onions before she died, but I didn't keep them going. :( I had a mess of 6-4s today and by golly one of them had a little heat to it. Pleasant and  mild heat, very civil I'd say. Not like a lot of other peppers grown around here. :D

GA Growhead said:
That Michelin tomatoes are crazy looking.
They are pretty wild lookin' But one of them is turning red instead of black. So maybe they are Firestones instead of Michelins

2Uv7OYal.jpg

I have cleared a hurdle of getting my seeds in order. I was having problems in my data structure, but I worked around it and finally got some labels printed.

FgqbM6Wl.jpg

So I can start filling bottles now. and I've got tomato seed already fermenting, and a few 2014 pepper seed drying too.

But i'm having seed issues, or rather had seed issues,they are plants with the wrong-peppers-on-them issue now.
I know it comes with the territory on seed swapping. You win some, you lose some, but commercially bought seeds I'd expect they'd isolate.
Out of 4 packets I bought from an un named seed company, It's looking like 2 are not true.

8D4AhGll.jpg

I don't think so. Should be more conical and shorter. They tasted fine, but...

Then there is this pretty plant and poser

6wh7v2nl.jpg

An alleged Bolivian Rainbow, but no purple flowers to be seen. :(
Lots, and lots and lots of white flowers. Pods start pale green, go to dark purple, then red. All obscured by foliage. :(
Maybe it's just an ugly duckling and will grow out if it.

Not to finish on a sour note..I'll switch to bramble fruit...

5f0DtVhl.jpg

The rain hasn't got to the berries yet. 6 gal so far, more tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.

Eee... that's too bad about the fractured MoA TJ... I feel for ya brother, 'cause I've been there too. :( Nice to see the Costolutos beginning to ripen for you though.    I don't bother to plant lettuce during midsummer anymore. It bolts quickly and turns bitter. Instead, I plant vegetable Amaranth. In Jamaica they call the green variety Callaloo. It thrives in hot weather and is drought tolerant. Like Spinach, it's tender and mild enough that it can be used raw in salads or cooked.

Those Padron pods don't look too far from what they should. I wonder if growing conditions like the weather or nute levels have anything to do with the elongated shapes... My Improved Espanola Anaheims were doing the same thing for a while, but now seem to be reverting to type.

We're picking Raspberries here too, and the Blackberries and Peaches should be ready in another 3-4 weeks.

Drive on buddy!

Trip J, those Padrons will be alright if that's just one plant and be alright if not: lived in Spain for the Padron harvest and some were shaped more rounded, some elongated. They still tapas-out, however! Still taste the same. Have called every g-store in 3 counties asking if carried manchego since growing padron this year. (They probably do have it but gotta go see, since they might call it "Spanish cheese.")

Am so so sorry about the MoA plant. That broke my heart, man. Pretty, pretty pods: sad. Learned hard way last year when messed with yellow 7, bending after the deluges. But R-berries got me out of funk, briefly. I think Poblanos do better with cages, as Rick said. But having used all cages, used couple stakes on each plant. Carefully. Of course, Lurch--kid, h.s. football player who's "helping" me--destroyed or tried to--I kinda tried to graft it back--got an Urfa Biber yesterday, pulling weeds neglected for a month. For life of me, how? But he doesn't know that Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska are 1. in Midwest and 2. in "America" after I told him, "ya know Midwestern United States." Was supposed to tutor him in exchange for help when hurt foot, since he's "star" football player but am paying him instead: will try silk purse from sow's ear but tutoring him? No.

Am so sorry about MoA. Off chance they'd ripen with some bananas and apples in bag? Also, nice garlic/onion fest! :dance:  Doing garlic bed for fall with old pallets. Planted few elephants in front just for kicks and did well, competing with mint so . . . and onions dried and braided, hung up. Got that done yesterday without Lurch, because was sure he could manage to drop every one on concrete. He dropped a few on ground while just pulling them. I had shelves laid out under covered stairway outside . . .  Wanna borrow him? :twisted: Send him right up to ya. FREE! :cool:  I offered him to Scott since am on verge of shooting him; Scott would off him, and then come after me. But those Padrons will be just fine!

annie57 said:
Trip J, those Padrons will be alright if that's just one plant and be alright if not: lived in Spain for the Padron harvest and some were shaped more rounded, some elongated. They still tapas-out, however! Still taste the same. Have called every g-store in 3 counties asking if carried manchego since growing padron this year. (They probably do have it but gotta go see, since they might call it "Spanish cheese.")

Am so so sorry about the MoA plant. That broke my heart, man. Pretty, pretty pods: sad. Learned hard way last year when messed with yellow 7, bending after the deluges. But R-berries got me out of funk, briefly. I think Poblanos do better with cages, as Rick said. But having used all cages, used couple stakes on each plant. Carefully. Of course, Lurch--kid, h.s. football player who's "helping" me--destroyed or tried to--I kinda tried to graft it back--got an Urfa Biber yesterday, pulling weeds neglected for a month. For life of me, how? But he doesn't know that Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska are 1. in Midwest and 2. in "America" after I told him, "ya know Midwestern United States." Was supposed to tutor him in exchange for help when hurt foot, since he's "star" football player but am paying him instead: will try silk purse from sow's ear but tutoring him? No.

Am so sorry about MoA. Off chance they'd ripen with some bananas and apples in bag? Also, nice garlic/onion fest! :dance:  Doing garlic bed for fall with old pallets. Planted few elephants in front just for kicks and did well, competing with mint so . . . and onions dried and braided, hung up. Got that done yesterday without Lurch, because was sure he could manage to drop every one on concrete. He dropped a few on ground while just pulling them. I had shelves laid out under covered stairway outside . . .  Wanna borrow him? :twisted: Send him right up to ya. FREE! :cool:  I offered him to Scott since am on verge of shooting him; Scott would off him, and then come after me. But those Padrons will be just fine!

You are an evil woman miz Annie... siccin' him on Scott...  :rofl:  sounds like the boy got dropped on his head too many times on the ballfield. The one I'd go for is the one who referred him to you.

stickman said:

You are an evil woman miz Annie... siccin' him on Scott...  :rofl:  sounds like the boy got dropped on his head too many times on the ballfield. The one I'd go for is the one who referred him to you.

My inbred freakin' 1st cuz once, no: WAY removed, female cousin's son, Rick, is "referral." She's distant but dumbern box hair but I had no clue her kid was worse. She's so stupid she thinks he's a "great runner." Hell, he plays LEFT TACKLE! RUN?! I didn't bother to explain football rules to her since she's not missed a game of his since pre-school. My brothers/mother call/text for an update every day on this idiot, but I think my middle bro needs some help at his "mechanicking" shop. Hell, I gotta get rid of him but nobody I dislike that much. Since they've socially promoted this single-digit . . . I think he should HELP the h.s. FOOTBALL coach! Teacher? (You've given me an idea. Thank you, Rick! :dance: ) And Scott would do as you suggested: kill the sender and while I love Scotty, don't wanna die by his hand. He'd be so within his rights too.

'Yall crack me up! I'd just let Otis eat him ;)

You know I never knew there was such a diverse intelligence gap (nice explanation for "so many dumb asses"). But after I went to work at a place with 300+ employees and have to work one on one with them I quickly learned Darwin is way too forgiving :D

Sorry about that MoA JJJ, that had to hurt, but damn it was loaded. Did you attempt a repair? And I bet it would have split on it's own with that many pods loading up on it.

Every time I come here I see a new bed being planted, that's just crazy! I will say this you're an inspiration to all of us who garden, you're growing it all. I wish I could plant some of the crops you're putting in now, but I have to wait until September.

Have a great weekend!

Very..very nive JJJ, you are one busy dude. Also meticulous at what you do.

That MoAt photo really caught my eye, I've never seen so many PODS  in a cluster from the Scotch Bonnets before. That plant is producing like a rabbit.
Those peppes look like Padrons.......the "Shishito" that was mentioned are only as big as the close pin..
I like that wrap plating..and I'm sure the beer was ice cold..

cypresshill1973 said:
This are pimientos de padron. Search for pimientos de padron in google images...

pimientos-padron-200g3.jpg
 This looks like the Padrons I grew last year. I can't say this year's "batch" taste different. Just not as pretty a pepper as these.

Got a hot box from Scott to explore.  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

More on that as the story develops.

Back