• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Joe or Ed Carolina Reaper

This is my 2nd year at growing super hot peppers.  Long time gardener, last year turned out ok, the peppers were pretty hot but ended up being a hybrid(not what I bought for sure)

This year I bought a variety some from Joe, some from Ed, including Carolina Reaper from both.  

I've read the other threads about Joe, but I have a question since both have sprouted.

The cotyledon leafs from Ed's batch are pretty long and narrow.  The ones from Joe are are more oval, they are far outpacing the other batch, already have their first and some have 2nd true leaves. 

Can anyone who has grown them before give any insight on the shape of the cotyledon? 

stoney7713 said:
This is my 2nd year at growing super hot peppers.  Long time gardener, last year turned out ok, the peppers were pretty hot but ended up being a hybrid(not what I bought for sure)

This year I bought a variety some from Joe, some from Ed, including Carolina Reaper from both.  

I've read the other threads about Joe, but I have a question since both have sprouted.

The cotyledon leafs from Ed's batch are pretty long and narrow.  The ones from Joe are are more oval, they are far outpacing the other batch, already have their first and some have 2nd true leaves. 

Can anyone who has grown them before give any insight on the shape of the cotyledon? 

First, Welcome to THP.

Second. when posting about any pepper plant, pod, leaf symmetry or anything that entails a description it is ALWAYS best to include a pic. No one can discern what you perceive as oval vs. long and narrow. that's too vague in a subject that entails thousands of varieties of peppers and their product.

Third, It is impossible to decern what a seedling will grow to be. At best, you can second guess what visual traits you have noticed from past growing experience with like varieties, but still there are absolutely no guarantees.

Last years Reapers from "Joe" I had 30% germ rate but one plant produced and I used it solely for my hybrids which are doing very well thus far.  This year i've had incredible germination rates with his and 12 out of 12 above ground in 11 days but 2 now look to be failing, not giving up on them but no first leaves yet, just stem well above ground.  Can't complain on his seed's.  Only place I've purchased Reapers from thus far so thats all I've got on it.

He shipped dried pods this year so I tried to germ the seeds from them also...  Totaly dead and done...  I wonder how they are treated before shipping?????

Welcome bro!

I purchased 30 from Ed this year. I only germinated 10 and 9 sprouted and the first cotydelons came out slim and narrow like most peppers do.

Upload a pic!

I'm well aware of being not being able to tell what variety of a plant may be especially at this stage.  

I'm not asking for an ID, just anyone who has grown the Reapers in the past, if they can recall the shape of the cotyledon.

In my experience, that can be an indicator of a variety growing true or not in other plants.  

I also have read that the Reaper itself is a cross, hybrid, so it may mean nothing.

Also from the information I have read, Joe buys his seeds from other contract growers, many people have not got the true Reaper in the past.
Ed tends to be more reputable in the quality of his seed.

Either way, I will be growing both out full term.  But I have enough of both that I will be passing some to friends and family.  I dislike the idea of handing them an "I don't know" pepper plant. 

Both look right. Just grow em out I guess. I wouldn't count on cotyledons. They very from plant to plant to a degree. However, they are certainly c. chinese.

I got both last grow season, and joes germination rates werent good, so I messaged them and they sent me more seeds, which is good in my books great customer service, Eds germination rates were excellent. but as far as the pods, 2 of the 4 plants from joe were orange habaneros, and all of eds were true to form genuine reaper, hope this helps. but in the long run I had fun growing them so it didn't bother me too much

You will be able to decern be the 1st or 2nd true leaves better than the cotys. Not that it is a reaper only trait but the true leaves tend to form asymmetric.

juanitos said:
joe and ed are distributing the pepper together, from what i've seen their seeds are from the same source.

Joe and Ed are doing nothing together.  The seeds may have been from the same source originally, which was Ed.

Bumpin this.  Been out of the loop for awhile and heard there was a lot of drama about this pepper but want to give it a try.  Came here to search topics/research which one to buy from.  Leaning towards Ed.

I would say buy from Ed (who created the Reaper and has a good reputation), or from Judy (a wonderful seed vendor, IMO). Also there is Semillas, Buckeye, Fords Fiery Foods, Hippy Seed Co, and plenty of other reputable vendors to be found here. Why buy from Pepper Joe? Reading his feedback in the Vendor Vault did not inspire much confidence in me. Contrast that with the Vendor Vault feedback for Pepperlover, and it is like night and day. I am growing Reapers this year, and when the time came to vote with my wallet, I purchased Reaper seeds from both Ed and Judy. I plan to grow a little from each source and see what I get.   

Back