• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Joe's 2017 Grow

And so it begins again.

This is my second year of growing peppers, but my first year starting from seed.  I am germinating my seeds in rock wool cubes, and onto a heat mat they go.

My list so far is

Aji Lemon Drop x3 
Bhut Orange Copenhagen x3
Moruga Scorpion x2
Yaki Blue Fawn x2
Fatalli Yellow x2
Chocolate Habanero x2
7Pot Primo, Yellow x2

Aji Jobito x2
Aji Delight x2
Trinidad Sweets x2
NuMex Suave Orange x2

5943C491-159F-40CE-A49F-72229475F31B_zpsaz8wqzb2.jpg

I also have a couple plants that i overwintered.

5971E57A-9E0F-4CA1-97B5-8658929205C8_zpsqy6jjshx.jpg

Nov 25th, dug up my "Reaper", pruned it back to bare stems, and put in a WaterFarm type bucket.

53AAA173-C74D-4233-A6EB-9AC14D616888_zpstyhgavzl.jpg

This is what it looks like today.

As well I saved a Ghost,
D03F8602-1B94-4112-9B2A-7532D4570A15_zps2eyufwtg.jpg

Dug up and replanted Dec 1.

12843D65-AB71-41AE-96FB-989781E69E1F_zpsbyesprz7.jpg

The Ghost today.

I also have a package coming from CAPCOM, which will have 27 mystery varieties from pepperlover. As well there will be annuums being planted in a couple months time. 

Here's a quick update.

IMG_3473.JPG

Seedlings so far.

IMG_3471.JPG

Overwintered Ghost

IMG_3468.JPG

Reaper in WaterFarm completely taking over my 4'X4' tent

This weekend i should have time to start round 2.

Round 2 will consist of:

27 varieties of mystery peppers provided by CAPCOM, and originating from pepperlover.com.

Mad Hatter (West Coast Seeds)
Xanthi Sweet pepper (West Coast Seeds)
Jalapeno (Saved 2016)
Mini Chocolate Bell (Tradewinds)
Gypsy Pepper (Tradewinds)
Mini Bells (Mackenzie Seeds)

And I'm sure a few more. 

Trying to add more sweet or mild peppers because I'm sure there will be plenty of heat in the pepperlover seeds.
The wife can't handle too much heat so wanting to add plenty of varieties that she can enjoy as well.

From my first round of planting I have 10 seedlings, and 4 sprouts.  I'm losing faith in the other ones germinating but i haven't given up totally yet.

IMG_3484.JPG

Chocolate Habs

IMG_3486.JPG

Aji Delight

IMG_3487.JPG

NuMex Suave Orange

IMG_3489.JPG

Aji Jobito

IMG_3490.JPG

My one  Jobito started out as a trip-cot and seems to have a leaf deformity issue

IMG_3492.JPG

Trinidad Sweets

IMG_3493.JPG

My award winning Lemon Drop  :rofl:  :rofl:

IMG_3495.JPG

And my 4 sprouts that I plan to put in a small ebb and flow tray.  More on that later.

IMG_3477.JPG

Tuesday night I soaked a bunch more seeds.

IMG_3481.JPG

And last night I planted them all.

I thought I would do a test and see which method worked best for me.

I took 36 Grodan rockwool cubes, 36 Rapid Rooter plugs, and a 36 cell Pro-hex seedling tray with Promix potting mix.

I was given 27 mystery varieties of peppers originating from PepperLover.com and given to me by CAPCOM.
So i took those as well as the following:

Manzano Red
Manzano Amarillo
Mad Hatter
Gypsy
Xanthi
Jalepeno
Mini Choc Bell
Sweet Banana
Alleppo
Kung Pao
Hot Taco
Sweet Heat
Corno Di Toro

So i went and planted each variety in the different mediums. As well I took 2 seeds of each of the known peppers and put them in moist paper towel. So now we will see which method works best.

So depending on how things go I am going to have way more seedlings than I'm going to know what to do with.  

Alright, it has been a week since I sowed my second batch of seeds and we have a little action.

IMG_3527.JPG

Rockwool + Rapid Rooters

IMG_3535.JPG

ProMix potting soil

IMG_3538.JPG

My holdouts from round one. Still not cooperating!!

IMG_3539.JPG

Paper towel method

IMG_3531.JPG

My DIY flood table

IMG_3534.JPG

Full shot of grow tent

Ya, I'm definitely going to have a lot plants to share with friends.

The rapid rooters are clearly in the lead right now, with Promix second and Grodan cubes third.

IMG_3583.JPG

The paper towel method was successful. I had placed 2 seeds of each of the following varieties in the paper towel, and as of the 7th,
The following have sprouted:

Mad Hatter-1
Gypsy-2
Xanthi-2
Jalapeno-0
Mini Chocolate Bell-1
Sweet Banana-2
Aleppo-0
Kung Pao-2
Hot Taco-0
Sweet Heat-2
Corno Di Toro-2

So pretty good germination rate overall. The jalapeño and hot taco seeds i saved myself, and they are germinating in the other mediums so maybe just a couple bad seeds. I'll leave them in the paper towel for a couple more days and see if anything else pops.
So i planted the sprouted seeds into Jiffy cups filled with Promix.

I think I've given up on the first batch of rock wool cubes.  It's now been 5 weeks i don't think it's gonna happen. Kinda disappointed because I was really looking forward to the BOC and Yaki Blue Fawn. I have one BOC seedling in my flood table so hopefully it survives. I might try the Yaki Blue by the paper towel method but have no more BOC seeds. Then again i might just wait till next year... Its not like i really need anymore varieties, I may be in over my head as it is.  

wow all mine are a work in progress... so much to look forward... i like your different methods... My first batch was a dud .. I cant believe all my seedss got full of mold right away..... it makes me wonder what did i do wrong or it was because i used tap water... even worries me more because thats our main drinkable water.... that has nver happened before... and i have a nice lil system going which is even worse.. but THANK U SOOOO MUCH!!! you have no idea... thank u ... a million times and happy planting... of course always for the quest of the HOT ONES :)

So everything has been moving along. I have had about 70% germination rate. Sprouts are still popping in ones and twos. Should be potting them into solo cups soon, possibly tomorrow. I picked up a 2 cu. ft. bag of ProMix premium organic vegetable and herb mix. Just have to pick up more solo cups on the way home from work tomorrow.

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

Back row - Jan 1st plantings
Front row - Seeds germinated in paper towel method Started Feb 1st Planted in solo cups Feb 7th.

IMG_3601.JPG

My reaper plant loves the WaterFarm. It's 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide. I've already trimmed it back, but that hasn't slowed it down any. I was thinking I might have to get a lot more aggressive in pruning, otherwise its going to totally take over my tent.

I have a question for all you seasoned growers:  How long do you keep your plants in solo cups? Am I going to need to pot up, and how do I know when it is necessary?

So over the last few days i have managed to pot up all my sprouts.  I've definitely gone way overboard.

I have a total of 100 peppers in solo cups now, as well as 6 in a small flood table, an over-wintered Reaper in a Waterfarm, and an overwintered Bhut in Pro-Mix. All jammed into a 4'X4' grow tent

I think I need my head examined!  :high:

IMG_3630.JPG

22 mystery varieties provided by CAPCOM and originating from pepperlover.com. (5 varieties didn't germinate)
55 seedlings potted up.

Can't wait to see what becomes of them

So I went to water my peppers today, well I guess I should have done it yesterday! :high:  Some plants were looking pretty wilted some lost a bunch of leaves, but I think they should all survive.  Took a bunch of pics after everything was done.

IMG_3715.JPG

A very full grow tent. Gonna be bursting at the seams.

IMG_3716.JPG

Gave my massive reaper a haircut/amputation.

Here is the first half of the mystery line up.

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

I will post more pics tomorrow. 

Is there anyway to batch import photos? Instead of one pic at a time?

Ok.  It's been a while but I figured its time for an update.

So I had intended to pot up my plants in early May, however we ended up having to move and right after we moved, we had an 11 day vacation in the desert. ( I don't know how you guys in the southern states handle the heat???) 

So over the last couple days i've gotten everything transplanted. I have put at least 1 of each variety in pots, with the remainder planted in 2 - 6X12 raised beds.

Here's what I'm working with.

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG

CAPCOM's mystery peppers

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

Sweet Peppers

IMG_4093.JPG

Ebb + Flow Hydroponic set up
2 Lemon Drops in the front, Yellow Fatali back left, BOC back right, & Sweet Heat back centre

IMG_4094.JPG

Sweet Heat

So in spite of the late plant out...

Slugs stripping my plants bare...
IMG_4097.JPG

Racoons tasting peppers and decapitating plants...
IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

My plants are actually finally starting to blossom.

IMG_4177.JPG

CAPCOMS Mystery Peppers

IMG_4178.JPG

Assorted Sweet Peppers

IMG_4179.JPG

Flood and Drain hydroponic planter
IMG_4173.JPG

Fatalii  

IMG_4149.JPG

Sweet Heat

IMG_4144.JPG

Lemon Drop

IMG_4145.JPG

B.O.C.

IMG_4172.JPG

Congrats on the move during a grow, I've tried gardens 2 different times and ended up moving, the second time I dug my plants up and moved them, but it was hot so I just dug a hole big enough to fit all the plants in and threw them all in it lol. They didn't do very well. I finally decided that I may not be cursed after all and did some plants this year, some in 15 gal pots in case I have to move lol.

Here's a quick update.

IMG_4342.JPG

First harvest

IMG_4500.JPG

2nd harvest.

IMG_4497.JPG

Raised bed of mystery peppers

IMG_4499.JPG

Raised bed of mystery peppers after pruning.
Trying to get them to ripen. But so far not having a lot of luck.
Now we are into the rainy season here on the "wet" coast.

So if anyone has known methods to get a ton of peppers to ripen I'm all ears.

Back