• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Josh's Plants & Pods 2011

Really great looking plants and pods growing in the raised beds seems to really pay off in the heat of the summer when plants in pots just get too hot to pollinate. Really awesome looking Primo 7 Pots and beautiful backyard pepper garden Josh. Been following you growlog all year just knew you would have some nice plants come fall. :)

Nice plants and pods!!

I use the same size on the masks on my tulle (if its called that in English?) Works good for me i dont get much flower drops but the plant always outgrow the bag i even have huge bags but they grow like weeds ;)
I use some another kind of material as well with no holes in them and there i get about 90% flower drop.

Nice harvest btw!

Do you remember if we traded seeds last year?

//Oscar

Really great looking plants and pods growing in the raised beds seems to really pay off in the heat of the summer when plants in pots just get too hot to pollinate. Really awesome looking Primo 7 Pots and beautiful backyard pepper garden Josh. Been following you growlog all year just knew you would have some nice plants come fall. :)

Thanks a lot for the nice comments. It sounds like you are considering in ground gardening? Pots certainly have their advantages but I definitely prefer growing in raised beds.

Nice plants and pods!!

I use the same size on the masks on my tulle (if its called that in English?) Works good for me i dont get much flower drops but the plant always outgrow the bag i even have huge bags but they grow like weeds ;)
I use some another kind of material as well with no holes in them and there i get about 90% flower drop.

Nice harvest btw!

Do you remember if we traded seeds last year?

//Oscar

Thank you very much.

The material I use is called tulle. With temperatures in the high 80s & up I have quite a bit of flower drop. The larger bags I used this season definitely helped. I am still waiting on a couple varieties to set isolated pods. Last season a few isolated pods had not ripened by the end of my season. I just cut the branches off with the pods attached and put them in a cup of water. I replaced the water regularly and added some nutrients. I had to bring them in and out of my house for a few weeks but they did fully ripen.

I am sorry but I can't recall if we traded last year. I label my seed bags. I type my name, along with other important information, so it should be easy to tell.

And Josh you were surprised when I said you inspired me to use tulle? I had 1 cross I couldn't get to set while isolated. I now know it was because I bagged it right before the "dog days of summer" hit. 2.5 weeks later, no pods and the plant was straining against the cover. Took it off to add length and as soon as it was off 3 bees ZOOOOOM right in.....gave up.
Your garden is looking great.

I don't know if I read all of them but I want everyone to know that I appreciate all the nice comments you left. They were lost when the server went down. I didn't get the chance to log on and respond but I do remember a few.
Pepper Guru

I am not sure what type of straw it is but I sure like it. I use to use cedar mulch but I definitely prefer the straw. What is pine straw? It isn't pine needles is it?

Siliman

I did try the Super Chili and was pleased. It has a pretty good tongue burn. It has quite a few seeds but that doesn't really bother me. There isn't anything incredible about the flavor but I don't find it off putting either. So...I do plan on growing it again. The Thai Orange I am growing also has a lot of the same characteristics. I just need to pair them with something with some throat burn and I am set.

Silver Surfer

I have not tried the cross yet. I am a bit apprehensive because I expect there to be stomach discomfort. I will try 1/4 of a pod sometime soon and report back.

Patrick

I am glad you have found and like my log. It is understandable why it has stayed off the radar. I have been lazy with commenting etc. I have only been logging in like every 2 weeks. I do rapid fire comments and then am usually off for a while. I check the site but am too lazy to log in and comment. I need to get my but in gear. I was going to come on last night but after Jury Duty the life force was sucked right out of me.

Yeah man. Pine straw! :) Needles, yes. Good stuff for mulching :cheers: I was saying, before the server issue, that your plants are in OPTIMAL health and condition. Beautiful family you have there !

And Josh you were surprised when I said you inspired me to use tulle? I had 1 cross I couldn't get to set while isolated. I now know it was because I bagged it right before the "dog days of summer" hit. 2.5 weeks later, no pods and the plant was straining against the cover. Took it off to add length and as soon as it was off 3 bees ZOOOOOM right in.....gave up.
Your garden is looking great.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your troubles with isolating. It can be a bit frustrating. I imagine even more so for you since you pick off all opened buds before covering the entire plant. The larger bags helped me bud I still had a couple that didn't set due to the temps. I think I have at least one pod for each plant isolated except for my Thai Orange. With cooler temps I would imagine it will set any day now. I am just concerned that Irene is going to destroy all my plants on Sunday. Hopefully I am far enough north but it appears it is going to be 100mph winds. Who knows I will have to wait and see.

Yeah man. Pine straw! :) Needles, yes. Good stuff for mulching :cheers: I was saying, before the server issue, that your plants are in OPTIMAL health and condition. Beautiful family you have there !

Thanks a lot. I don't have access to pine needles but I will have to suggest that to my cousin. He has a whole bunch of pine trees on his property. I am sure he can just rake them up off the base. I would imagine their acidity also helps to inhibit germination of weed seeds?

Here is a shot of a pretty good harvest. I lost about 1/3 of a plastic grocery bag to bugs and cracking. I still have to pick my Thai Super Hot, Thai Orange, Super Chili, Antillais Caribbean, and Goat Cross. I just figured I better put that off until I can free up room in the dehydrator.

CGN 21500. It is a pretty cool looking pod. Not so much the shape but the coloration is interesting. I apologize for the pic. It doesn't quite capture what they look like.

Very Nice Josh!
Honest harvest there.
And that CGN 21500 Is a very pretty pod.
How do they taste?

Thanks. I actually have not tried them yet. This is the first time growing this variety and I wasn't sure when the pods were ripe. I will report back when I process them tomorrow evening for the dehydrator.

It kind of reminds me of a blood orange.
Will be waiting for the report. :cool:

I am sad to report that I disliked the CGN 21500. I apologize for not being able to elaborate but I don't exactly have a refined palette. There is just something about them I do not like. Don't let that discourage you though. Hopefully Chris or Mike can chime in with their thoughts. A lot of people like Bulgarian Carrots but I dislike them as well. It is kind of a bummer though since I really like how the pods look. Oh well. It happens.

I may not have to worry about it though. Irene is supposed to blow through on Sunday. She will probably take my plants with her.

SS I still have to try the Douglah cross. I keep putting it off. I am not looking forward to the presumed stomach discomfort that will follow. I am going to have to suck it up and make it happen.

SS I still have to try the Douglah cross. I keep putting it off. I am not looking forward to the presumed stomach discomfort that will follow. I am going to have to suck it up and make it happen.

The red one is doable..... fear the brown one. LOL

Here is a shot of a pretty good harvest. I lost about 1/3 of a plastic grocery bag to bugs and cracking. I still have to pick my Thai Super Hot, Thai Orange, Super Chili, Antillais Caribbean, and Goat Cross. I just figured I better put that off until I can free up room in the dehydrator.

CGN 21500. It is a pretty cool looking pod. Not so much the shape but the coloration is interesting. I apologize for the pic. It doesn't quite capture what they look like.

CGN 21500 look cool nice color,great havest .

I am sad to report that I disliked the CGN 21500. I apologize for not being able to elaborate but I don't exactly have a refined palette. There is just something about them I do not like. Don't let that discourage you though. Hopefully Chris or Mike can chime in with their thoughts. A lot of people like Bulgarian Carrots but I dislike them as well. It is kind of a bummer though since I really like how the pods look. Oh well. It happens.

I may not have to worry about it though. Irene is supposed to blow through on Sunday. She will probably take my plants with her.

My lone CGN 21500 is really a runt. I don't think I am going to get pods from it this season... I will probably end up having to bring in a bunch of plants to finish ripening pods this fall as most of my containers have not even podded up yet. With limited indoor space, I don't know if the 21500 will make the cut. The only other review I saw of it said that it had an extremely strong Chinense flavor. They did not really elaborate if they thought it tasted good or bad. Great harvest pictures Josh.

Good looking harvest. Besides growing in the raised beds because of the heat of the summer when plants in pots just get too hot to pollinate, wich other adventages are there when using this method? I see alot of people doing it, but was wondering what the pro's are :)

Harvested a few more pods. It is supposed to rain tomorrow right on through Sunday when Irene should be here. I figured I would pull more pods off before the plants are destroyed. I also pulled several sweet varieties not pictured.

Great haul Josh! I hope the weather cooperates. Please be safe.

That CGN 21500 is gorgeous. Pepper maggots seem fond of mine, but I'm getting a few non-attacked pods. Here's another view:

P1090580.jpg

The red one is doable..... fear the brown one. LOL

I haven't had the pleasure of growing the brown one but maybe it will crop up in future generations.

Will send some prayers down your way for your plants.

:pray: :pray: :pray:

Thank you very much. I just hope everyone stays safe and there isn't too much damage. Don't get me wrong, I am still going to complain up to, during, and following Irene. I do however, realize they aren't all that important when it comes down to the bigger picture.

CGN 21500 look cool nice color,great havest .

Thank you. The CGN 21500 is a really nice looking variety, but flavor-wise it doesn't cut it. I wish I was good at crosses. If I could create a yellow 7 pod with the CGN 2150 color I would be very happy.

My lone CGN 21500 is really a runt. I don't think I am going to get pods from it this season... I will probably end up having to bring in a bunch of plants to finish ripening pods this fall as most of my containers have not even podded up yet. With limited indoor space, I don't know if the 21500 will make the cut. The only other review I saw of it said that it had an extremely strong Chinense flavor. They did not really elaborate if they thought it tasted good or bad. Great harvest pictures Josh.

Understandable. It comes down to limited space most of the time. I am sorry to hear you haven't gotten any pods off your potted plants yet. You guys had a rough summer though. As I mentioned above, I wouldn't discount it based on me. Everyone likes different things. How are your raised beds doing? I will check for your grow log but I feel like I haven't seen any updates in a while.

Thanks.

Good looking harvest. Besides growing in the raised beds because of the heat of the summer when plants in pots just get too hot to pollinate, wich other adventages are there when using this method? I see alot of people doing it, but was wondering what the pro's are :)

People say that they warm up faster in the spring. I believe the rational is that the sides provide more surface area for the sun to warm.
People also say that they drain well.

I don't know if they are true or not. For me a big advantage is the height. It keeps my dog from walking on or through my plants. She can brush up against limbs as she passes by but she doesn't hop up on the bed. Could I grow just as well in the ground without a raised bed? Who knows? I know I cannot grow as well in containers so basically I am sticking with what has worked so far. One size doesn't fit all but I would definitely recommend them to anyone having trouble. You can also tailor the initial soil to your liking as opposed to amending a poor soil over years. My native soil seems to be fine so that isn't really an advantage in my area but it may be elsewhere.

Back