• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Joyner's I.D. Help Thread

So, I have a ton growing this year and someone or something is playing tricks on me...

First up, this should be a Red Savina

unknown_2.jpg

And this is supposed to be Jamaican Hot Chocolate, looks more like my previous years Red Savina crop

unknown_1.jpg

Thanks

So, I used my last years dried Thai pods, extracted the seeds this winter and planted them in containers. These are supposed to be my Thai Orange. I took these seeds directly from my Thai Orange dried pod. The guys are very large and only resemble the Giant Thai if a Thai at all.

thai1.jpg
thai2.jpg

So one finally changed color and it went red. The plant looks identical to all my Thai plants, the flowers do as well. I'll cut this open later for a smell/taste test to see what in the world I created. I have three of these bushes.

unknown1.jpg

Who wants to try the pepper above and attempt to tell me if I created a new hybrid and what they think of it? I should have a ton of these pods ripe soon, used 3 last night in a kicked up slaw recipe and it was amazing! The were supposed to be Thai Orange.

I'll send some to the first 3 that reply in the thread. Please make sure you provide feedback. Like I said, these should have been Orange Thai peppers, I actually pulled the seeds from a dried 2011 Orange Thai pod I had and used that to grow these. Once I have 3 people, I'll PM each of you for details.

Thanks

OK, I'll first start by saying I think we all agree this looks nothing like the Jamaican Hot Chocolate or Chocolate Scotch Bonnet. Those are the only 2 Chocolate variety I had last year. I also grew regular Bhut Jolokia. I know it is not likely that I got lucky and got a Chocolate cross with my normal Bhut and produce what is below. I have not tasted one yet, guess that the time has come to figure out what these two plants are producing.

post-7027-0-98244700-1346877980.jpg

newpeppergrower1105 said:
Are you going to do a update on the pink peppers I had no idea anyone had created pink peppers it blew my mind! And what was the heat of those black and Burgundy mystery bhutish pods?
The pink plant was a one time thing. I didn't harvest any seeds and the plant was very suspect in production. I grew the mystery burgundy and chocolate and both came back. I'd put the heat north of a good habanero and the flavor is awesome.

Back