• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

juanitos 2019 grow log

[SIZE=11pt]Welcome to the JuanitosPeppers 2019 glog[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Thanks to all the long time readers and people who followed last year. I hope to make this glog a little bit better![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I’ll try to do weekend update format with photos and captions. I’ll be happy to answer questions or discuss growing during the week too. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Last year was pretty successful. [/SIZE]
reFaxfD.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Saved lots of seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]
BrkpmK6.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I spent all winter break thinking about what varieties i wanted to grow. I want to keep a good balance of flavor, heat, color, species, cost, size. Looking to expand my seed stock so i’m growing a couple collections (brainstrain, ghost) also trying a couple wilds for fun, a few mild peppers for normal people, and the best medium peppers (moa, bahamian goat). Can follow along to see everything[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I like doing bulk starting in medium(soilmix). It means i only plant the successful seeds, no volunteers or weak seedlings, no wasting extra seeds, no culling. Medium is a bit easier to manage as it will separate easier than a paper towel. Also you can leave them in the medium for a bit longer. [/SIZE]Just keep them in a warm 75-85 temp range for a week or so and we’re ready to transplant into pots.
J0ya1xJ.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]While those are resting got the growing space ready.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Made sure the led strips are still running from last year, had to repair a few[/SIZE]
DTnQLX1.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Cleaned up the trays and reservoir and ordered pots / trays, started putting soil in[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]
pyZooDW.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]More to come… Thanks for following![/SIZE]

i think i will not grow normal ghosts anymore. Jays color Ghost Scorpion is just better in every way!

MKRNOcfu.jpeg

hlbWEKXV.jpeg

FUiIYTBi.jpeg

gTwYSqVP.jpeg

pretty lazy this year, didn't do any trellising (excuse) to see if plants could hold up by themselves.
the answer is always no lol

rDzaeQyN.jpeg

smoked ribeye for 1 hour, then seared, a bit over cooked but yum still
costco has some good quality steaks

yUXrogPC.jpeg

I liked regular ghost better vs JPGS although the JPGS smoked them in production and heat. Flavor wise i liked ghost better but ive never tried JRGS. Your CARDIs though rocked but they are so damn hot. :D

Jay's are just wicked looking pods and the plants cranked out pods all year. Really hard to beat them as a solid super producer. Im tempted to try the reds next year but not sure yet.

hard freeze so we're done for the year
I haven't been as active posting because playing classicwow lol and remodeling so we can sell our house next year.

eygELItq.png

will focus on jays ghost scorpion instead of normal ghosts
i just like them better than ghosts, i consider them an improved version!
i just need to get a chocolate one!
yenghoUx.jpeg

wDKjMaYw.jpeg

fatalii
a good pepper but i don't really see too much difference between other chinense. skip

reapers
the red reaper is true / stable, the other colors are completely different / not stable (chocolate is closest). i'll probably only grow red reapers.

brainstrain
the genetics of this pepper are pretty all over the place now. there isn't an isolated / stable resource for these, kinda annoying.
i think i like the Trinidad moruga scorpions a little bit better. they are very similar. 

yellow brainstrain
bro this is one of the GOAT. large pods productive. great taste. very hot but not killer. 

verdict on fabric bags vs slabs
the "air pruning" roots and much larger root space did not increase production over slabs in my configuration!
slabs are lower profile, easier to handle, cost less
root bags are more stable don't tip over as easy.
BUT plants are so heavy producing that you need a trellis anyway..(or lose branches as they pod up) so this doesn't really matter.

Now the next test could be in ground organic soil building vs hydroponic slab. 

finally
i'm looking to move to a new location with more space in 2020

i want to be able grow 10+ accessions of the same variety in isolation.
doing the research / growing out of accessions for our customers so they only get good shit.

also taking pictures of plants lots of seeds come from, so customers know they get exactly what they ordered.

i think that will elevate juanitos from being just another vendor to a vendor offering grade a, superior genetics.

Really great stuff, John, nice notes on your season's choices.

I miss your coco slab grow - those were very interesting grow media.

I like the fact you could just about grow on the driveway with those!

Back