• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

cooking Juicer for straining pulp after first cooking ?

Hello. I have just started making hot sauce and I wondered if any of the people on the site are using a juicer to refine the first cooking of the peppers, etc.? I just used a masticating juicer for my last batch but not sure if it's the right thing to do. My first batch was cooked and then blended but it came out too thick for what i was hoping to make. The next batch I used the blender again but this time I used a hand strainer over top of a bowl and strained it by hand. It was very pulp free but took a while. Then I put it into another stainless pan and boiled it until it was reduced to the consistency I wanted. Then I thought about using the masticating juicer that I have to filter it like the strainer. This worked about as well as the hand strainer but was so much faster.

My process is to cut up the peppers (I use Haberneros, some bell, some fresh carrots, a bit of onion, about six cloves of garlic, some fresh ground cloves, and fresh ground cumin.) Then I kind of roast them in a large skillet on top of the stove in a few drops of oil. when some colour starts to happen I take the pan outside and put it over a high burner hotplate and then add plain white vinegar to cover all of the ingredients with about  1/2 inch of liquid higher than the rest. I let it boil on high and stir occasionally. This will go for about 30 to 45 minutes and I might ad a little more vinegar half way through. I let it cool down so that I can pour it into the juicer without melting parts and then strain it with the machine. Then I put the liquid in another pan on the inside stove, add a little honey if needed and then let it boil for about 15 minutes until it's reduced. I might add a little more vinegar if it gets to thick. Then it goes into a clean bottle (this was before I read about the importance of sterilization, etc.) I'm ordering a ph meter today.

I just wonder about letting the unstrained sauce cool down a bit before using the juicer (not as low as room temperature).
I also wonder about adding honey to the second cooking phase (will it be a problem for sterilization)?
And I wonder about adding vinegar half way through the final 15 minute cooking phase. Does that added vinegar need more time to boil?

Thanks for any feedback !

Sorry for the small novel. 

Hey Senor Gringo!  I use this food mill after cooking, before stick blending then heating and hot fill/invert bottling.  

No worries about melting the juicer, 3 plates of varying size for different thinknesses, and I've put probably several hundred pounds of peppers through it since I got it (along with apples and carrots for baby food, many batches of tomatoes for marinara, etc).  Faster than hand straining, but still likely longer than the juicer.

Unstrained sauce cooling a bit before the juicer isn't a problem unless you're letting it sit uncovered for a day or two prior to juicing.

Adding honey to the 2nd phase is not a problem - you've already added acid with the vinegar.  A pH meter will help your confidence there.  :)

The added vinegar at the very end thing is going to make the sauce a little 'sharper' or more tangy as not much of it will cook off.  You might want to try a simmer on low heat covered with a lid for phase one though - you won't need to add more vinegar and it might take less time to reach your desired doneness for blending (always a good thing).  

Thanks guys !  The food mill looks like the perfect device. It looks easy to clean too and I like the fact that it's metal. Great advice on covering in the first phase to keep the liquid from boiling away SmokenFire. I'v been doing a very simple Merinara for many years. I use a large strainer over a large pot and push canned Italian tomatoes through it to get rid of the pulp and seeds right out of the can. That's the basis for the rest of the sauce. I add that to sauted onions and garlic and also add some tomato paste diluted in water, dried oregan and seasoning, fresh thyme, and then let that slowly reduce until all the flavours develop and the viscosity is right. It occurred to me the other day when I was starting to attempt hot sauce that the idea of concentrating the flavours by reducing the liquid is the same with the Merinara. Once or twice I have cooked my own tomatoes instead of the canned ones when they have been in season and low cost. The one thing that I really like to do with that Marinara is to add some finely chopped dried Habernero pepper to it, and a tiny hint of cinnamon powder (just the smallest sprinkle of a few bits of powder) as well as a small squirt of Sharacha right at the start. I used to add 1/4 teaspoon of Heinze Chilli sauce and then one day I ran out and tried the Sharacha. 

SmokenFire said:
Hey Senor Gringo!  I use this food mill after cooking, before stick blending then heating and hot fill/invert bottling.  

No worries about melting the juicer, 3 plates of varying size for different thinknesses, and I've put probably several hundred pounds of peppers through it since I got it (along with apples and carrots for baby food, many batches of tomatoes for marinara, etc).  Faster than hand straining, but still likely longer than the juicer.

Unstrained sauce cooling a bit before the juicer isn't a problem unless you're letting it sit uncovered for a day or two prior to juicing.

Adding honey to the 2nd phase is not a problem - you've already added acid with the vinegar.  A pH meter will help your confidence there.   :)

The added vinegar at the very end thing is going to make the sauce a little 'sharper' or more tangy as not much of it will cook off.  You might want to try a simmer on low heat covered with a lid for phase one though - you won't need to add more vinegar and it might take less time to reach your desired doneness for blending (always a good thing).  

You just cost me $60.00 damn Amazon for being so convenient! 

Gargoyle91 said:

You just cost me $60.00 damn Amazon for being so convenient! 

SmokenFire said:

Use it a few times and then let me know what you think.  If you hate it your first 4 bottles of Dee Roo are on me.  Fair deal?   :)

Gargoyle, if you hate it, I'll buy it from you for $20 and pay for shipping!  ;)    :lol: 

Back