• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Jumbo Pumpkin

IF you don't want to cut it up you can build up the soil around it so the ice chest sits on the soil without putting pressure on the vine !

Reason I bring the male flowers inside is it provides a bit cooler space for them so that the pollen is in good shape when the flower opens in the AM (we stay in the mid-upper 80's at night during the summer so bringing them in gets them a bit cooler and also keeps the bees from getting too the open flower before I get outside !) It isn't really necessary but is something I have found works well here - pllus it lets you control which plant is being used as the pollinator to keep track off the genetics.

IF you don't want to cut it up you can build up the soil around it so the ice chest sits on the soil without putting pressure on the vine !

Reason I bring the male flowers inside is it provides a bit cooler space for them so that the pollen is in good shape when the flower opens in the AM (we stay in the mid-upper 80's at night during the summer so bringing them in gets them a bit cooler and also keeps the bees from getting too the open flower before I get outside !) It isn't really necessary but is something I have found works well here - pllus it lets you control which plant is being used as the pollinator to keep track off the genetics.
ahh ok good stuff! I'm not tooo worried about genetics at the moment, I'll be happy to get anything! I dont think my seeds are from a top notch jumbo pumpkin anyway, as far as I know its an atlantic but one that only goes to 200kg...rather than the 400 or 500 that some others go to. For next season i'm going to organise myself some bigger better seeds. I think what I have now is the baby of jumbo pumpkins.
I didn't get an official foam cooler, but but at mums I did find two foam boxes that dad used to grow plants in, they were going to get thrown out so they are mine now! I dont mind cutting it up since they aren't pretty and really only have one use for me.

About the male flowers and pollen, I feel a little worried about cutting them off before I need to. I'm worried I'll cut them off before they pollen is viable. How big is the viable pollen window?

My vine is looking very unhealthy these days! Mildew has knocked off most of the leaves and I think I got a bit of a nutrient imbalance in my reservoir, so I've bumped up the nitrogen to see if that helps it recover.
I've also got something else strange going on! No female flowers since the last one aborted ....but this male flower has turned down and swolen up a bit! I'm not sure whats going on here. Maybe its a transgender or maybe ive got some crazy parasite living and growing in there! I kind of want to cut it off and see whats inside but I'll leave it be for now and see what its doing. The stalk and base of the flower look green and healthy, for some reason its not completly dying off.
P1030633_zpscfbf6ef2.jpg

Fingers crossed!! and touching wood!!!
Hopefully another polinated female!
The biggest I've made it so far, but we have a few hot days ahead of us. Always seems to be the way! I get a pumpkin flower polinated and we get a heatwave, and then it has a miscarriage.
Here she is
P1030782_zps27703b81.jpg

Yes I've got a couple of greyhounds!

I'll put another pumpkin picture up soon! its still getting bigger! about the size of a basketball now!

I'm not sure that photos are doing it justice since I had to change the angle of the pumpkin and since I've been changing camera positions to try and get the best shot, but its still growing nicely and quickly now!
I'm really proud of my pumpkin! I feel like Christmas has come late!
P1030836_zpscacb6763.jpg

Back