• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Jumping in with both feet - experiemental order

OK, read a bunch of reviews here and about to place my first order to start sampling some sauces. Here's my list so far. Any glaring omissions or bad ideas? Defcon is on my list for the next round of ordering.

Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot Red Habanero Sauce
-everyone raves about this, so worth a try

Danny Cash's Radical Heat Hot Sauce
-See a lot of mentions on here. Has a high SU rating and can never go wrong with garlic. 90k SU without extract?

Matouk's West Indian Flambeau Hot Sauce
-looks very different with Congo peppers and msutard. Worth a try

Scorned Woman Hot Sauce
-Saw several mentions on here, so I'll give it a try

Pain Is Good Original 3 Pack Gift Set
-Original Juan's was my first love with Xtreme. Was going to try #37. Then saw a ton of people recommend #114. Figured if I'm ordering 2 bottles, may as well get the sampler to try them all

Crazy Jerry's Brain Damage Mind Blowin Hot
-Wow, talk about a crazy mix of ingredients. I just have to try this one out.

Keep in mind, these are just my opinions....

Marie Sharp's - Tastes like carrots. Nice heat, but I couldn't get around the carrot taste.

Danny Cash's Radical Heat - Good sauce, not really all that hot. His Ragin' Red is one of my favorites.

Pain Is Good - Yes it is!

I haven't tried any of the others.

I'm trying to keep this order to just 1 source at the moment, and Ragin' red is not available to me. Just Radical Heat and Bottled Up Anger.

As far as the carrot concern with Maria Sharp's, I guess I'll just give it a try and see how I like it. I can't pass on something that so many people swear by without trying it myself.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Again, more opinions:

I think Bottled Up Anger is the best of Danny Cash's sauces, but I'll agree with DD that his Ragin' Red is really good too. There just isn't anything else like Bottled Up Anger out there that I know of, so it gets bonus points in my book.

Scorned Woman is something I liked when I was younger, but now it's just vinegary to me. It's not unedible though, and the addition of black pepper (table pepper) makes it a little unique.

The Pain Is Good series is has pretty good flavor, but not all that hot IMO. Definately worth your while.

If you are starting and ordering from a place with a decent selection, some other sauces I would recommend are Blair's Original Death Sauce, Uncle Brutha's Fire Sauce #10, Tabanero, and all of the producers on here, but you may need to order directly from them.

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably ordering from hotsauce.com, so my choices are limited to what they carry.

Sounding like I should swap out Radical Heat for Bottled Up Anger.

I didn't realize that Scorned Woman would be vinegary. But looking at the ingredients, with vinegar as the first one(normally listed as #2 in my experience), maybe I'll swap out the Scorned Woman for Blair's Original. Trying to keep my initial order under $50 after shipping to keep my Scorned Woman at bay.

And if Pain Is Good isn't hot enough, I'll just add more. But the ingredient lists look too tasty to consider passing up.

Good choices. Don't pay too much for that Matouks. It's good stuff but goes for well under 5 bucks in grocery stores. If you have a specialty store around you may check and see if they carry it.

If you want all natural EXTREME heat try Scotty B's Devil's Drool or Red Rage. Also CaJohn's Talon is a real scorcher with none of that extract crap.

Greeny - what are you using them on? 80% of my sauces go on nachos or in a pasta sauce. The rest go on BBQ chicken breats or wings. The sauces I use on one, I would not use in the other. It would help to know the main area you would use them in.

Beef and beef by-products. Very rarely chicken or fish. Hamburgers, hot-dogs, nachos, canned chili, tacos, pizza, eggs... Really an endless list when you start thinking about it.

No steak, I'm a purest when it comes to steak. I don't use any kind of sauce on my pasta, so probably not that either.

Well, solely for ramping up any salsa, chili, tacos, pizza, or scrambled eggs, I'd recommend either Nuckin Futs or Liquid Stoopid. Like yourself, I have a btach of new sauces I'm about to order, but these are the best two I have had in years. Good flavour and great heat. Try one - you won't be disappointed. They are both on my re-order.

Chicken - Defcon 1.

As for beef - I can't help you. I only use steak sauce for that.

The Matouk's is good stuff. As Chuk Hell pointed out, here in the states, it can be had for about 2.50 a bottle. Flambeau is good, but interestingly enough, they have another sauce that actually has more heat, yet is rated as milder on the sauce bottle (sorry...I'm out...I'll pick up a bottle in 2 weekends, once this round of tests is over).

Great all-around hot sauces. While I like the flavor of Danny Cash's hot sauces, they do tend to be on the mild side. You've got to try some of Cape Fear's Red Savina sauce. Down South by Kato's rocks as well.

I ended up going with another reseller that carries more of the hot sauces made by members of this board. My order was as follows:

Talon Hot Sauce
Blair's Original Death Sauce
Defcon Condition 2 Wing Sauce
Pain is Good Batch #114 Jamaican Hot Sauce
Crazy Jerry's Brain Damage Hot Sauce
Danny Cash's Bottled Up Anger Hot Sauce

Don't forget Cape Fear's Red Savina hot sauce....you can NEVER go wrong with that stuff. Oh, and some Fat Kid's hot sauce as well!

I would have gone with Defcon 1. Did batch of chicken breasts with it last night - they were awesome.

Hey - when you get your order, can you do a mass sampling and rate them in order of heat? I've got Cash's Radical Heat on my list, and before I consider changing it to Bottled Up Anger, I'd love to know how it complares to Blairs and Talon.

Well, order came in today. A lovely box of goodies. They even threw in 2 extra bottles for free. CSIGI JalapeƱo Tomatillo and Red Bandit Red Bell Pepper Habanero.

I'll probably keep the 2 freebies in the fridge at work. My coworkers enjoy hot sauce in the Louisiana variety, so the mild stays here.

I look forward to testing them all. I can't test them tonight because I'm on air from 7-8pm, and I can't broadcast with a numb tongue. Looks like I have a good weekend ahead of me though.

I thought about Defcon 1, but decided to try the 2. As I always say, "Don't worry, they'll make more." Defcon 1 is on my next order though.

Thanks for all the advice!

greeny said:
I thought about Defcon 1, but decided to try the 2. As I always say, "Don't worry, they'll make more." Defcon 1 is on my next order though.Thanks for all the advice!

Oh - they're both delicious...but 1 makes my eyes go wider...:shocked::party::lol:

OK, pizza test just now. 3 slices, 1 Blair's, 1 Talon, 1 Cash.

Talon was easily the hottest. Not even in the same league.

I found Blair's to be hotter then the Bottled Up Anger. First sniff of Bottled Up Anger brings 1 thing to mind, garlic. If you don't want a strong garlic sauce, stay away from Bottled Up Anger. Me, I'm a garlic lover.

greeny said:
OK, pizza test just now. 3 slices, 1 Blair's, 1 Talon, 1 Cash.

Talon was easily the hottest. Not even in the same league.

I found Blair's to be hotter then the Bottled Up Anger. First sniff of Bottled Up Anger brings 1 thing to mind, garlic. If you don't want a strong garlic sauce, stay away from Bottled Up Anger. Me, I'm a garlic lover.

Thanks - very useful info. If Talon comes in at a 10 for heat, then I'll be ordering Radical Heat. It may not be as hot as Anger, but the reviews I read raved about the flavour - it will be a nice offset.

How was Talon for taste, or was it so hot, you couldn't really sense any?

Talon was delicious. I loved every bite of it. It did have a bit of a strange flavor that I'm told was the fatalii, but I wouldn't say it was off-putting. It is very thick and can be difficult to pour, but this is to be expected when squeezing out this kind of heat without extract. If the remainder of the bottle continues as it has started, I'll be ordering it often.

Yes the Fatalii does over power almost every pepper put along side it in my opinion.

If you like the Fatalii taste I'd reccomend Fatalii Fire or the Fatalii puree by Cajohn..they both are taste great w/ Plenty of heat for having no extract.

Back