• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Just a question about seedlings

I know most throw 2 or 3 seeds in one group, and trim the weaker seedlings off, letting the best grow..... My question is WHEN, do most cut the weakest? After the first set or 2 of actual leaves? Or right after they emerge and are about 2" tall?? Or??

I don't do it that way I split them up at 3-4 inches tall.  They're usually not tangled at that size and I hate killing plants off. When I sow seeds in pots or starter cells and I'm sowing more than one per cell, rather than tossing them in the middle I do 4, one for each corner

I only sow one seed per cell or rapid rooter. (which I very highly recommend for germination) but I've accidentally put 2 seeds in the same cell and had both sprout. I waited for the first set of true leaves and separated them. Even if roots are tangled you can easily get them apart by dipping all the roots in a shallow bowl of water and gently swirling them around. The water usually separates them.

I germinate seeds in a damp coffee filter in a plastic tub. Once one sprouts, I put it into a tiny cup with starter soil - poke a hole in it with a chopstick, and put it in there root side down. (Get them as soon as the root peeks out of the seed casing, and it's not a big deal. Wait until the root has grown out a bit, and you have to be more careful.) No question about whether it sprouted or not that way, and no need to cull (culling is the process of removing multiples) since you only put one germinated seed per container.

I think it's pretty cool to watch the process. The seed casing typically thins out, and you can see the tiny embryo through the casing go from a formless mass to a spiral before it pushes out of the casing. Can't see the process with pubes, since the casings are black, but I've seen it with every other variety.

It was my first crack at seeds, so, i sow'd 21 cells, with 2 in each... and accidently 3 in a couple.... and i got 100% germ.... and well... i truely dont require all...

i made a mix of different soils and a rooting medium.... for my first crack at it.... and well... i guess i did ok !! lol

if i seperated, i would have over 44 seedlings, for the winter.... and well i dont have room for that... 21 plants is already pushing it!!

I'm up in canada, and i started these, with the plans of putting them under a grow light, and constantly triming them, to get them to be a fairly large plant by next growing season...  not worried about flowering, and pods... just trying to grow the plant.... and let it flower in the spring type thing...

i guess next time, i will space them out a bit, and seperate if i can!

I didn't have faith in my Scotch Bonnet seeds and threw 3 in each pot in the propagator, I cut the smallest off after the second set of leaves arrived and potted up.

separate them, pot them.  Keep them going as long as possible before running out of room.  Then make your selections.  Most issuesin my experience come early on.  So if you choose which to kill and keep now, it could bite you in the ass and leave you with less than you had hoped for.

Back