just applied for farmers market

So not long ago I realized I'm going to have entirely too many plants to responsibly handle. I then started researching the local farmers market. I've never seen a pepper guy, though there are always a few produce sellers with your typical cooking peppers thrown in the mix. So I saw an opportunity. 40+ varieties, spanning the Scoville scale bottom to top, sell at all stages. Seeds, plants, peppers fresh and dried, powders pure and mixed, and vinegars. I gave them a very professional and responsible sounding "why you should pick me" plan on my application. Texas cottage law says I'm ok with what I intend to sell; I won't need any special permits or licensing for these items alone.
Now I've read high and low on the site through many topics and threads about the liabilities, the pains in the ass, the repetition.
But what about the good stuff?
I'm not expecting to hit the jackpot. I do, however, see an opportunity not only to make a buck or two, but to help build this community of heat seekers and pepper aficionados.

So what say you fine folk? Am I entering a world of pain, or is this gonna be a fun side project?

Well thanks to everyone for keeping this post alive. I'm back, and have yet to set up my booth. Mostly because I'm on rotating shift work, so my schedule changes weekly. I've set up a nice little customer base in and out of work selling mostly powders. In fact, my powder sales almost entirely funded my raised bed/soil/pvc drip system I built back in early spring. People love the powders just as I expected. Some enjoy more of the complete seasoning or rubs, others just like the pure pepper powder so they can just add to their own rubs as needed. I've got a buddy down here that owns and operates a Peruvian fusion restaurant, and he's ready to strike a deal for bi-weekly Aji deliveries. Also have another friend back home in Austin that's taking over a family bbq and taco spot, he's coming down to pick up a sample bag of fresh peppers this weekend. Gonna give him 2 of each of my 13 varieties for $20, then he will decide from there what he wants to continue purchasing for his sauces/salsas/rubs. I do want to eventually open a booth at the FM once my schedule is more steady, but the more time I spend on r&d beforehand, I think the better I'll do. Lastly, a major thank you to all of you here who have helped me through advice, seeds, recipes etc... You guys and gals kick ass

Back