• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Just got two sauces: Tears of Joy's August in Austin & CaJohn's Fatlii Fire

I went down and checked out Tears of Joy, a local hot sauce company/store and had a nice talk with the guy about growing peppers. He said he was trying to grow Nagas, but didn't get any fruit just flowers, so I explained to him he'd probably need to hand pollinate since he's growing inside. Man I love talking peppers. Anyway, the two sauces are pretty damned good.

August in Austin:
Ingredients: Red habaneros, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, salt.

Pretty basic ingredients as far as a sauce goes, but they nailed it pretty good. Awesome habanero flavor with heat that is very present but not overwhelming. This is definitely an everyday eating sauce, it tastes like it would go great on everything, although so far I've only tasted it straight from the bottle. For only 7 dollars per bottle, this one is going to earn itself a permanent spot in my cabinet.

CaJohn's Fatalii Fire:
Ingredients: Fatalii chiles, vinegar, garlic, onion, black pepper, chile caribe & a select blend of dehydrated vegetables.

First impression is that this sauce is really sweet, I assume that comes from the fatalii peppers since no sugar is listed. Not like cloyingly sweet, but sweeter than you would expect from a hot sauce. Not as hot as I was expecting, but then again I've only tasted a little and some peppers have a slow building burn. This one may not qualify as a goes on anything sauce, but i'm thinking any kind of white meat would be delicious with this. Tastes unlike any other hot sauce I've tried, doesn't have that 'habanero taste' or any other pepper I can compare it to. I'm gonna have to give this one a B+ starting off, but that may get changed to an A in the near future. Even as I type this the heat is building and tasting closer to the heat level I was expecting. Is this typical of fatalii peppers the way it is with habs?

I'm going back for CaJohn's 10th Anniversary "Jolokia" sauce. I almost bought it this time but I've never had a Fatalii before and had to check them out

http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/store/catalog/index.html

im hoping to get my hands on some cajohns 10 jalokia locally, i mean the internet is great, but you have to pay shipping :hell:

Update:
One of my co-workers decided to try fatalii fire on his breakfast taco since it looked good and i was keeping my game face on despite the fact my mouth was on fire. Result: hillarity ensued.

I officially redact that B+ I gave this sauce and stamp it a solid leaning A

And i must say, it tastes much better on things than just by itself

I know what you mea, there are some sauces that I really didn't like when I tried them straight from the bottle and almost regretted buying them, but tasted really good on something! I have never tried Fatalii Fire so I can't say if that'd be one of them, but CaJohns Fatalii puree is something I am not too fond of when eaten pure, but it's great when used in cooking!

K Fatalii fire now gets an A+ this shit is great. Omg. It really grows on you its like addicting. Apparently it's really f'ing hot as well cause just one drop will own co-workers so thats like a bonus. I finally burned my mouth on it today, i coated a sandwich with it and it was delicious but intense. Had my nose running something awful and my eyes watery and red. Awesome.

Fataliis are an acquired taste. I just thought they were ok the first time I tried them. Now it is my favorite pepper. I am almost ashamed to say that I have never had Fatalii Fire though. How does it compare to his Fatalii Puree? I do have that and that is the measuring stick for me for my own Fatalii sauces I have made this year. The fruity slow building burn is heaven.

JayT said:
Fataliis are an acquired taste. I just thought they were ok the first time I tried them. Now it is my favorite pepper. I am almost ashamed to say that I have never had Fatalii Fire though. How does it compare to his Fatalii Puree? I do have that and that is the measuring stick for me for my own Fatalii sauces I have made this year. The fruity slow building burn is heaven.

I haven't had the puree yet lol. I almost got it but i went with the sauce instead so i could just use it on things instead of cooking with it. I'm going to get the puree and another bottle of this next time i go back. Good stuff. But yeah, this is really good sauce and the fatalii taste is very strong. You need to get some.

Txclosetgrower said:
Update:
I officially redact that B+ I gave this sauce and stamp it a solid leaning A
And i must say, it tastes much better on things than just by itself

I knew you'd come around. One of my favourite sauces.

klyth said:
Fatalii Fire and 10 are among my favorite sauces.

Ditto.

JayT said:
How does it compare to his Fatalii Puree?

I have both - I like the Fire way better. Cleaner taste, IMHO.

I have always been pleased with Tears of Joy, it is a nice little shop alongside 6th stret austin. When I was home on leave I had a chat with the owner and turned him on to the place that I was buying my plants. Unfortunately shortly after the farmer died at the not so ripe age of 49. A great loss to the pepper community.

If you like the Fatalli Fire, you really need to try his sauce called Scorch. I'm not as much of a fan of the fatalii pepper in some sauces, but I adore it as part of the Scorch sauce. Add in some red savinas and orange habs, and it makes for a pretty darn good sauce that has a bit of attitude as well.

Back