• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Just made my hab pizza

For a great Pizza Base:

Take 500g Good fresh plain flour and 4 tablespoones of olive oil and a tablespoon of good sea salt.
Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh dry bread yeast into 330mls tepid (40deg c) water with 1 tablespoon of sugar disolved in it. WHen it starts to froth, mix it progressivle with the flour and oil to form a dough and kned it for 10 min till elastic. Put in a large SS bowl, 4 times in volume to the dough ball or more and cover with cling film to seal in moisture. Put somewhere warm to rise for an hour or 2.
Remove form bowl, knock down the dough and roll into 2 bases.

Tomatoe base:

gently cook one onion of choice in some olive oil till clear, add 1 or 2 CHOPPED (not garlic press murdered) garlic cloves to taste for 20 seconds. DOnt burn it as it goes bitter. you just want to gently heat it to realease the flavours and aroma.
Add 800g can of crushed tomatoes.
Add a big handfull of chopped fresh basil, the more the better!
Add half a handfull of chopped fresh oregano.
Marjarom works well too if you have it.
Add a tabelespoon of good red wine vinigar
add a tablespoon of sugar
salt and pepper to taste.

Gently simmer it down over an hour or 2 till it thickens, blitz it till smooth and freeze in small containers. Defrost when needed for pizza, it lasts for ages in the freezer.

I grow a heap of the herbs in the summer and make a heap while the herbs are fresah, then i dont have to go looking for expensive out of season tomatoes and herbs during winter to make good pizza.

smear it on the bread base above and top it with whatever you want.

I like Cooked mushrooms (all the water in them makes the pizza soggy if you put them on raw) bacon cooked with garlic and rosmary, halved cherry tomatoes, raw and facing down, choped fresh chilli of choice, black olives chopped, fresh basil leaves and cheese.

cheers

Back