• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Karoo 2017/2018 glog

New season, new things.
My biggest challenges growing peppers in our climate are heat , drought and birds eating peppers and plants.
Biggest advantages are heat and a longer season and good soil and homemade compost.
So I have devised a plan , an all in one raised beds , drip irrigation, shade net and birdproof pepper patch.

Extensive planning have led to this.
8f3b89324ffb90115cd175fb8b02837f.jpg

db668f9e878e368d1be3dfca2e90f6c8.jpg

07d98823486201bfd2dab28a4e83e9b5.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I just caught up Jacques. Impressive!

In reading, your temps get even higher than mine. About 40° is our highs on the hotter days. Although I've seen it a few degrees warmer on the most extreme days. Here, June-to late September can be 35° and above the whole time, and that's the usual low temps. So my question is: do you have the same issues with fruit setting during those temps? I get some production, but not like when it gets below the 35° mark. So I'm guessing your grow is more tailored to high temp production?

For me the peppers are the hardest to grow in my climate. The heat comes on so fast! So next season I'm starting 30 days earlier. I guess I'm weary of still pulling peppers 30-45 days after I start the new grow...LOL

I use 30% sunshade to stop the sunscalding, and bird netting on the sides of the frames, or the grapes and tomatoes become bird food. This is a plus in one way, but the bugs no longer have a predator. I guess it's a trade off :shh:

Keep posting the pics! I really want to see how things go for you this season!

All the luck!

Scott

Great looking stuff karoo! Lots of hard work, sure to be paid off with lots of fruit!

Is good to have a few other Southern Hemisphere glogs to follow for a bit of comparison. Whats your latitude? I'm guessing you're in the equivalent of our queensland, but you get frosts, so maybe not so much. Some Queenslanders (and there's a few of em on here) are lucky enough for fruit all round! Meanwhile, I've got a 4 month window of optimal weather, two months either side of that and there's chance of frost, any more and its guaranteed! I usually get a few days of 35oish in February, n very rarely it might creep up to 40. last Summer, absolute max was 39. Usually hovers around 28-32 for a few weeks in January and February, and 25-30 for the best part of summer. Outside of that, any where from 15-30. April to September, rarely above 25. Never above 25 May to August. 

And thats an unnecessary run down on my climate!

Anyway, great glog, keep up the hard work! 

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Great looking stuff karoo! Lots of hard work, sure to be paid off with lots of fruit!

Is good to have a few other Southern Hemisphere glogs to follow for a bit of comparison. Whats your latitude? I'm guessing you're in the equivalent of our queensland, but you get frosts, so maybe not so much. Some Queenslanders (and there's a few of em on here) are lucky enough for fruit all round! Meanwhile, I've got a 4 month window of optimal weather, two months either side of that and there's chance of frost, any more and its guaranteed! I usually get a few days of 35oish in February, n very rarely it might creep up to 40. last Summer, absolute max was 39. Usually hovers around 28-32 for a few weeks in January and February, and 25-30 for the best part of summer. Outside of that, any where from 15-30. April to September, rarely above 25. Never above 25 May to August. 

And thats an unnecessary run down on my climate!

Anyway, great glog, keep up the hard work! 
33.58 degrees South , right on the same level south as Sydney , but a rather unique micro climate in a valley between mountains . 50-60 km in any direction you might find a totally different climate . 65 km from the coast

This a very interesting topic for me as I also live in a hot environment in summers and just recetenly got bitten by the pepper bug LOL. I am reading with great interest to learn how and what I can grow and all the tips and tricks that can improve my chances.

You are doing a fantastic job here. Keep posting the progress. Thank you.

The last few weeks I have been preoccupied with the Aji Amarillo growdown , but here is a little update.
I have two grow areas , first a raised bed area that must still be covered with 40% shadenet against the sun and birds. The second area
is smaller , but already covered with 40% shadenet. In this second area containers are partially underground to keep the heat on the roots down.

Raised beds , overgrown with non-pepper veggies and overwintered peppers.
P1170114.JPG

Overwintered chupentinho fruiting .
P1170122.JPG

Baccatum cross . Malawi PiquanteX Aji lemon F1
P1170126.JPG

Raised beds invaded by Spagetti squash and Tomato plants.
P1170131.JPG

P1170133.JPG

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Very nice!

That raised bed is indeed chaotic! But chaos is good ;)

Good to see fruit on the over winters too, you've got a good set-up!

Keep it up, TBG :party:
 Thank you,
chaotic indeed .
That is what happens when you want to please everybody .
Trying to keep the wife happy with some "other" veggies .

Devv said:
Very nice!

I like the partially buried pots, what an excellent idea ;)

And yes sir, one must keep the wife happy. If momma's happy, everybody is happy. How do I know this?
Thank you,
the partially buried pots and containers have extra sand and pebbles on the outside at their drainage holes to help with drainage.
Straight in the dirt uses a lot of water , because the surrounding soil is so dry and all moisture is just sucked away from the plant.
In pots work better to retain moisture , but it just gets to hot .
So, this is something in between, keep watching and we will see if it works.

These early summer weeks , waiting for plants to grow and flower , seems to drag on for ever . What would I do without a few Annuums to keep me busy .

Jalapeno Yellow seems very eager to produce .
P1170206.JPG

P1170209.JPG

A sweet large pepper called Palermo.( overwintered)
P1170189.JPG

Overwintered Chupetinho will have to produce the early summer heat.
P1170193.JPG

KAOS said:
Looking good Jaques.

Wish our temps would jump a bit here to get things going.

I'll just follow your glog until then :whistle:

+100, its like a roller-coaster here, great weather, wet weather, cold weather, repeat. Ah well... shouldn't be too long before it stabilises, eh? 

Looking great Jaques!
Those over winters look like its a small matter of time until you'll be harvesting! 

Keep it up, and you'll have more chillies than you'll know what to do with in no time! :party: :onfire:

Awesome grow you have going there Jacques!!!!! My little 1st time grow in Pretoria seems to be doing reasonably well. Started germination on 4th August, and will attempt to get a glog started this evening, as I have snapped pics and kept update notes every 1-2 weeks from starting them off. My little "Nightshade" bed with 18 x Chilli plants (9 varietals), 9 x determinate Star 9009 Tomato plants and 7 x Black Beauty Aubergine/Eggplants.

The non-nightshades are 4 x Zucchini/Baby Marrow plants which are already producing like crazy. With the exception of 6 x Chilli plants, I started germination of all of the above on exactly the same day.....hugely interesting to see the different growth rates.

What is the easiest way to transfer images from Imgur (my pic repository) to a glog? I'm a newbie at this so please excuse my question........

Cheers - Roy     

Back