• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Karoo 2017/2018 glog

New season, new things.
My biggest challenges growing peppers in our climate are heat , drought and birds eating peppers and plants.
Biggest advantages are heat and a longer season and good soil and homemade compost.
So I have devised a plan , an all in one raised beds , drip irrigation, shade net and birdproof pepper patch.

Extensive planning have led to this.
8f3b89324ffb90115cd175fb8b02837f.jpg

db668f9e878e368d1be3dfca2e90f6c8.jpg

07d98823486201bfd2dab28a4e83e9b5.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Chilidude said:
Early spring here and you are talking autumn in there, but still i bet your autumn/winter is in the range of our summer time temperatures in the day time.
Jip , really fortunate over here.
Just a few degrees too cold for year round growing. Plant killer frost for about three months.

karoo said:
Jip , really fortunate over here.
Just a few degrees too cold for year round growing. Plant killer frost for about three months.

Hey, can we switch places..You can have our chili plant killing all year round cool weather. :rofl:

Chilidude said:

Hey, can we switch places..You can have our chili plant killing all year round cool weather. :rofl:
I thought you Fins were voted to be the happiest Country to live in.

And you have Kimi the Iceman.

karoo said:
I thought you Fins were voted to be the happiest Country to live in.

And you have Kimi the Iceman.

What, who the ****** voted in that poll. In Finland it is either too cold or too hot, always something to complain and suicide rate is pretty high too.... :rofl:

It's a mild start to winter and light frost expected in two to three weeks. As always the plants seem to flourish in this end of season mild weather.
Here is a late starter Aji Cito , only planted to make sure I have fresh seeds next season.
I have sadly been uprooting plants , even those still producing , to start preparing the raised beds for next season.
Picked 1306 grams from my Sugar rush peach plant , and then pulled it.
974cc2dd322d1dbb20e653f1a3a2cd2b.jpg
8e59278504b064f2e60e46b2a2912a88.jpg
c63e7bee97fa99817b32055def755b1a.jpg

So it seems you do like I've been doing the last few years; running through both seasons.

That sure makes for a lot of work! This year, after 30+ months straight, I'm going to let summer take its toll and have a break. ;) The garden and I need it!

Impressive year Jacques!

Devv said:
So it seems you do like I've been doing the last few years; running through both seasons.

That sure makes for a lot of work! This year, after 30+ months straight, I'm going to let summer take its toll and have a break. ;) The garden and I need it!

Impressive year Jacques!
Thank you,
I could squeeze 2-3 weeks of pods out of the plants , but I'm up to my ears in pods , fresh and dried , so I decided to pull the plug. The deep raised beds finished their first season with flying colours , but needs to be filled up a bit after a bit of normal compacting.

First time in 3 years I will not be overwintering . I will be working on preparing the raised beds , maybe more raised beds and starting really early in the new season.

Making jelly , has been on my wish list for years . I post it here ,because it is totally experimental .
500ml of Pomegranate juice ( my own)
15 Aji lemon X peppadew f1  ( my cross)
3 teaspoons of gelatine granules
Thats it ,
great stuff , I will work on a clear jelly next time.

Pics will follow

Those aji citos look incredibly tasty as does the jelly. I started some citos very late, not sure if they'll have time to produce anything.

Congrats on another great season

Devv said:
You're too funny ;)

I'll be sourcing Pomegranate in the fall here. They should do well here.

Zolaan said:
Nice read...

(Subbed)

Genetikx said:
Those aji citos look incredibly tasty as does the jelly. I started some citos very late, not sure if they'll have time to produce anything.

Congrats on another great season

Thank you for reading and liking my Glog.
My season is coming to an end over here , mostly Baccatums , with a few others for heat and fun. My DIY project of raised beds and shadenetting(birdproofing) has been a great success , even surpassing my wildest expectations.

Next season will be mostly Annuums , with a few new Chinense for heat.
Cannot wait to start again , sorting seeds and germinating.

:dance:

Back