• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Karoo's 2016 Glog

Hi all,
this is the start of a new season as most of you are at the peak of yours.
I grow for my own enjoyment . I enjoy germinating ,growing , eating , drying and saucing peppers.
Some peppers and sauces might end up as presents , but I don't sell peppers, sauces or seeds.

I have built my own grow box with T5 CFL lights and aluminium foil for reflexion.
Germination was with the modified paper towel method in 100ml pill vials at 30 degrees C.
First seeds were in the vials on paper on July 11.

Lists and pics to follow.

Great Glog ! Love your view from here ,    :party:    I leave them on for a week after the flower opens , give the branch a shake couple times everyday , hopefully  pollen drops ,  mark it with a twist tie , and good to go !

I am putting this in my glog and not in the recipe section due to lack of specific measurements .
Harvested my Aji Lemon and wanted to make a sauce that really highlights the colour and flavour of the aji lemon .
55 Aji Lemon
Juice of 6 limes
teaspoon of salt
Half a Mango
200ml of Mango juice

Cook it , Blitz it , Cook it again ,strain it ,  Bottle it ,
1litre from 55 Aji lemon's , amazing flavour.

IMG_20170315_105214.jpg

IMG_20170315_152704.jpg

IMG_20170315_132020.jpg

IMG_20170315_155156.jpg

Nice job with the improvised bird netting and sequestering blossoms. I usually leave the bags on over the blossoms until they've obviously set pods or dropped off, then tied a piece of yarn loosely on the stem if pollination was successful.

A quick lunchtime harvest.
From top left clockwise.
Chocolate fatalii , Piquante , Choc habanero , Scorpions , Aji lemon , and more Piquante.

IMG_20170328_134132.jpg

Opened up for drying Chocolate Fatalii.
and
IMG_20170328_134724.jpg

Into the sun for drying.
IMG_20170328_141531.jpg

I have read a lot of reports on the Choc fatalii ,saying there is no heat .
This one has no heat in the tip and flesh , but when you hit the seeds and placenta you are in for a treat.
My guesstamate would be around 100-150 000 Sc .
It is very different from the Choc hab in smell , taste and burn , none of the floral chinense smell and taste.

The season is winding down with the first frost expected in about four weeks from now.
I am quite happy with my harvest so far.
Stocked up with powder, pickles, dried ,sauce etc.
Here is a few pics of my Sunday harvest.
First a family pic, starting from left to right . Top, Guajillos, Large red Thai, Chocolate cherry, peri peri, Aji lemon, Orange habanero.
And left to right ,Bottom. Scorpions, Chocolate fatalii, Malawi Piquant, Jalapenos, Peter peppers, Chocolate habanero.
d99cc14457d85145d4c9dfb5b1cb8576.jpg

Ready for drying, mostly Habs and Scorpions
cca2d5393c24cc278ba84218c281a133.jpg

Only sundrying so time is running out.

Thank you,
Fortunately just a sample of my harvest, I like to make it look multicolored and interesting to keep the rest of the family entertained.

I do keep seeds of all yes, and this year the first of my own crosses , all Bacatum , Aji lemon x Malawi Piquant.

Waiting for winter frost, but looks like I have about two weeks of summer left.
[emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

abcc0cc36ea44f9deeb00d94db4530ae.jpg

Nice Karoo

You must write a summary of your season,and what you will do different for the next season.

Will you start the seeds again this early for indoor?  I figured 1 Aug is sowing time so that one can transplant when spring arrives(1 September) some wait to mid sept even longer because
spring only really starts october as a cold front can still hit. I enjoyed the glog. :P

Winter is slowly arriving now :confused:

PS:Are you a farmer?

Gonzo said:
Nice Karoo

You must write a summary of your season,and what you will do different for the next season.

Will you start the seeds again this early for indoor?  I figured 1 Aug is sowing time so that one can transplant when spring arrives(1 September) some wait to mid sept even longer because
spring only really starts october as a cold front can still hit. I enjoyed the glog. :P

Winter is slowly arriving now :confused:

PS:Are you a farmer?

Thank you.
A summary is always a good idea .
No not a farmer , just fortunate enough to stay in a rural town on one hectare of land.

So,
Winter is finally here and it is time to wrap up the season . I am quite satisfied on my third season and amazed at how quickly things escalated from 3 cayennes and 3 jalapenos to this season in 2 years.
I only grow for myself and immediate family , so I have a bit of an overproduction at the moment.

Harvest consisted of.
-Fresh pods eaten or cut up in food , 4-6 jalapenos , Piquant or Aji Lemon per day for the last 6months
-About 6 litres of sauce , mostly scorpion , choc hab and Aji Lemon
  and 2 litres of sauce from last year.
- 3kg/6.6 pounds of fresh frozen pods
- 2 kg/4.4 pounds dried pods mostly suppers
- 2kg/4.4 pounds of dried powder Choc Hab
- 1.5kg/3.3 pound of dried powder , scorpions
-1.5kg/3.3 pounds of dried powder ,Guajillo
-1kg/2.2 pounds dried powder ,Paprika
- 1kg of dried and powdered sauce tailings
- Pickled jalapeno, chupetinho, Aji Lemon

All set for winter , here are a few samples

IMG_20170504_134744.jpg

The paradox of autumn/winter, suddenly there is an abundance of flowers and pods all over.

IMG_20170503_163913.jpg

karoo said:
So,
Winter is finally here and it is time to wrap up the season . I am quite satisfied on my third season and amazed at how quickly things escalated from 3 cayennes and 3 jalapenos to this season in 2 years.
I only grow for myself and immediate family , so I have a bit of an overproduction at the moment.

Harvest consisted of.
-Fresh pods eaten or cut up in food , 4-6 jalapenos , Piquant or Aji Lemon per day for the last 6months
-About 6 litres of sauce , mostly scorpion , choc hab and Aji Lemon
  and 2 litres of sauce from last year.
- 3kg/6.6 pounds of fresh frozen pods
- 2 kg/4.4 pounds dried pods mostly suppers
- 2kg/4.4 pounds of dried powder Choc Hab
- 1.5kg/3.3 pound of dried powder , scorpions
-1.5kg/3.3 pounds of dried powder ,Guajillo
-1kg/2.2 pounds dried powder ,Paprika
- 1kg of dried and powdered sauce tailings
- Pickled jalapeno, chupetinho, Aji Lemon

All set for winter , here are a few samples

attachicon.gif
IMG_20170504_134744.jpg

The paradox of autumn/winter, suddenly there is an abundance of flowers and pods all over.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20170503_163913.jpg

Very nice Jacques! It's a good feeling to have so much summer sunshine stashed away for the cold months ahead and a bit of a relief to finally be cutting the tether to the garden for a while. Do you have any plans for next year?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Thank you,
I think my Capsaicin stocks are big enough to carry me through even for a year or more , a kilogram of dried powdered Choc Habanero, really goes a long way. My favourite way to eat peppers are still fresh off the plant , followed by fresh chopped into food, scrambled eggs, and then pickled , as in Piquant , Aji Lemon and Jalapeno.

So I will just keep and overwinter one of each , Choc Hab , Chupetinho , Moruga Scorp , Sunrise scorp.
For the rest I will go full out for fresh pods of Piquant, Aji Lemon , Jalapeno.

Revelations of my season:
- Chupetinho , great heat and flavour
- Aji lemon , perfect for fresh pods , sauce , dried , pickled
- Guajillo , easy to dry and add to sauces and stews.

Wish list;  Rocotto , will have to buy some seeds.

karoo said:
Thank you,
I think my Capsaicin stocks are big enough to carry me through even for a year or more , a kilogram of dried powdered Choc Habanero, really goes a long way. My favourite way to eat peppers are still fresh off the plant , followed by fresh chopped into food, scrambled eggs, and then pickled , as in Piquant , Aji Lemon and Jalapeno.

So I will just keep and overwinter one of each , Choc Hab , Chupetinho , Moruga Scorp , Sunrise scorp.
For the rest I will go full out for fresh pods of Piquant, Aji Lemon , Jalapeno.

Revelations of my season:
- Chupetinho , great heat and flavour
- Aji lemon , perfect for fresh pods , sauce , dried , pickled
- Guajillo , easy to dry and add to sauces and stews.

Wish list;  Rocotto , will have to buy some seeds.

Im sure i have rocoto seeds from Judy somewhere if you want me to send. Giant rocoto that is

OCD Chilehead said:
Jacques!

Looking really good around here. Congrats on you harvest. You did well. Sauce looks fantastic. I bet it taste even better.
Thank you ,
lesson learned in my first season ;
Always have an endgame ready.
Drying , saucing , freezing , cooking , eating.

Back