• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Kasundi Relish

I love this recipe and my Grandmother made one very similar - I have it every day and trust me when you try it you will be addicted.

I add in a few Habaneros to bring the heat up a notch as I like to verge on regretting the heat when I eat it , great with crackers/cheese or put onto baked potatoes - can be used as a tomato sauce substitute.

Ingredients
500mls Apple Cider Vinegar.
2 1/2 tbsp. brown mustard seeds - I use black or yellow depending on what I have.
100g Fresh Ginger, peeled and diced.
20 cloves of garlic peeled and diced.
40ml olive oil.
2 tbsp. cumin seeds - whole.
2 tbsp. coriander seeds - whole.
2 tbsp. chilli powder - optional.
1 tsp. turmeric powder.
8 large chillies of your choice - I usually add a few extra habaneros or the likes to notch the heat up as well as keeping the seeds.
2 large brown onions finely diced.
5 x 410g cans of crushed/diced tomatoes - or the equiv of fresh tomatoes.
10 Granny smith apples or cooking apples, cored, peeled and diced.
6 cloves.
250g Brown Sugar.
50g Fine table salt.

1. Put Vinegar in small pan and bring to a simmer over a low heat. Add mustard seeds and leave to soak for 30 mins (Heat off)
2. Put mustard seed mixture, ginger and garlic in a blender until smooth.
3. Heat oil in a large wide pan over a high heat for 1 min then turn down. Add cumin seeds, turmeric, ground cumin, coriander seeds and chilli powder and cook for 20 minutes - do not burn.
4. Add mustard seed mixture, chillies and onion to pan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Add tomato, apple, cloves, sugar and salt. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 hours until reduced to desired amount.
5. Use a hand blender and blend until desired constistancy - This is optional as it should be broken down a fair bit.
6. Remove from heat and pour into sterilised jars (I wash mine thoroughly and then put into oven and heat up for a while)

This is ready to eat straight away although I prefer mine cooled in a fridge.

Yep here is .. there are many variations but this recipe works for me.

DSCN0281Medium.jpg

Sounds really really good for my tastes I would replace the cumin with allspice but that's about it. Looks awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

Back