• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Keen's 2014 garden and pepper raised beds

this is the first time making a garden in our house we bought last year.   i  have a total of 4 raised beds 1 for all peppers. 

last weekend i tilled and leveled the ground, i also put in the first 3 beds.  this weekend i bought more bricks and made the pepper patch out in the big backyard.  

heres where im a so far. im putting good soil in the beds monday, the commercial nursurey that sells good dirt is closed weekends. 

Heres the vegetable gardens.  the little one in the corner is my 4 year olds.  she's got it all planned out what she wants in there.

here is the bed i'll plant peppers in.  its almost 10ft long.  im thinking 6 plants???

i'll post photos after i get some dirt in there too.  i'll probably start my seed starters today and tomorrow with an updated list of everything we are going to grow.

Hi Keen, welcome to THP!

6 plants might go, depends what types you put there.

Glad to see your 4 yr old is interested too!

Good luck this season!

Very cool that your daughter has plans for her spot.  Watch out when they want to expand their space!  Welcome and good luck with your season!  Looking great!

Mike

Hi keen. Welcome to THP. My friend has that same set up and grows herbs and other small crops/root vegetables in the holes in the blocks. nice layout. Looks like you left room for your daughter to expand. :)

looks good. Like Devv said, it depends on what kind of plants you put in there. In 10 feet you could probably fit 7-8 Jalapenos. But if you're doing superhots, probably 4 or 5 would fill that thing in no time. My biggest Trinidad Scorpion  Moruga Blend last year got 5 feet tall and would have been bigger around if I had more room to give it. It was probably a couple feet around at least. Good luck with your grow. . .

OhioGrown said:
looks good. Like Devv said, it depends on what kind of plants you put in there. In 10 feet you could probably fit 7-8 Jalapenos. But if you're doing superhots, probably 4 or 5 would fill that thing in no time. My biggest Trinidad Scorpion  Moruga Blend last year got 5 feet tall and would have been bigger around if I had more room to give it. It was probably a couple feet around at least. Good luck with your grow. . .

Sounds like I might have to add another row next to my pepper patch. That way I can start 1 of each variety I'm hoping to have.
:-)

got our dirt today,  as soon as i get all my seeds together i'll fire up my germination station.  

heres the kid ready to start gardening.   :)

i went to a local nursery and found soil for 25 bucks a truck load and it looks to be a sphagnum/perlite/cocoa  mix.  super soft and spongy feel to it.  1 truck load was enough for all my beds, plus the one more i plan to build for peppers, and then some.

Nice raised beds! I put in my first beds for the 2013 season as well. Love them!

+1 on the types of peppers... My beds were 4x8 and I just grew jalapenos, thai chilis and habaneros. On the 8ft side I could have fit 6-8 pretty comfortably. I'm working on my first super-hots hydroponically now so I cant say from experience on those (yet)!!

How much sun do those beds get?

Very nice raised beds, Keen - should really work
well for you.  You'll have a jungle back there!

Nick08* said:
Nice raised beds! I put in my first beds for the 2013 season as well. Love them!

+1 on the types of peppers... My beds were 4x8 and I just grew jalapenos, thai chilis and habaneros. On the 8ft side I could have fit 6-8 pretty comfortably. I'm working on my first super-hots hydroponically now so I cant say from experience on those (yet)!!

How much sun do those beds get?
the 3 beds get the later afternoon light blocked out by my house but they get good morning-mid afternoon light.  in the pics it was an overcast day.
the pepper patch in back gets morning - sunset light, theres no trees or house blocking our light out there.   im adding another twin pepper bed too. :)

Looks great Keen.....cant wait to see it fill out. That's great that your daughter is so into gardening, mine loved it at that age, we always let them choose what they wanted in there.

Keep the pics a coming!

got some of my seeds in,  big thanks to a local friend and forum user, brain strain pepper head for their generous donations

today the kid and i started all the veggie seeds as well as a few peppers. not sure how many more i'll do but, im off to a good start.

heres the boss giving the veggies their first drink.

the 12 pack of peppers.  only one of each, a couple seeds in each plug.  we'll see how it goes.

here they are in my back bathroom (south window)  i have two 4ft t8 lights for when they go up in pot size too.  this is just my 2ft t5 starter

and a bonus!  my local buddy kicked down some dried pods from the fall.  mix of chocolate douglah, reaper, jayst ghost scorpions.  i grind the douglah up and sprinkle it in my sandwiches. MMMMmm!

now its just the waiting game.  hope they all do well.

Devv said:
Good luck with the seed starting!

$25 for a truckload is cheap, they charge $35 here...

ya, i was surprised. its really nice peat/perlite nursery dirt.  cant wait to see how everything grows out.  i'll probably just use alaska fish juice and compost tea. maybe something to help out with the fruiting process as well.  we'll see.  just trying to keep it simple and fun.
Nick08* said:
Best of luck with the seeds!

That bag will keep you warm  :hot:  for the rest of winter!!!
after trying the douglah, i  i stepped up and tried a tip of one of the red ones.  OH MY!!!  i think it was a reaper,  it was so F'n hot.   i like adding a little bit in a cup noodle. MMMmm

Hah! I grew Reapers last year, great taste, but dang they're hot. I made a puree out of 2lbs of them, they cooked down to 30oz., 2 or 3 drops on a taco and bam!

Back