• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Kefir grain to start ferm ?

Hi, i just harvested some super chili and i would like to try to ferm them.
i have active kefir grain.
anyone used those to start?
how do i proceed?

i think i have to add some salt with peper and after the juice start to get out of the peppers
I add 2 or 3 kefir grain in the mix and put that in a pot with controle air (with an airlock or something like that)and let it ferment

would this work?

Thanks for your info guys!

Hi, i just harvested some super chili and i would like to try to ferm them.
i have active kefir grain.
anyone used those to start?
how do i proceed?

i think i have to add some salt with peper and after the juice start to get out of the peppers
I add 2 or 3 kefir grain in the mix and put that in a pot with controle air (with an airlock or something like that)and let it ferment

would this work?

Thanks for your info guys!

I actually had to look this one up. Kefir will give you lacto fermentation from both the yeasts and bacteria. I didn't think it would be that process, but you should be good to go with this method.

Last year i strainned my kefir with a cheese cloth and then use my liquid "whey" to start the fermentation. I am not a pro at fermenting yet, but there are pros on here that can tell you exactly. I make my own kefir and you would want the liquid which is called whey. It contains your good stuff to start the fermentation, but some people say it effects the taste. Some just use a brine, and make sure everything is sterile.

Back