Kegerator or Keezer

queequeg152 said:
i tried blowing cold air into the beer tower, and it will not work properly without a significant amount of insulation.

my beer tower was not thick enough to accommodate enough insulation to really matter unfortunately.

with fridges and freezers, keep in mind you are working with EXCEPTIONALLY low capacity systems.
in your average fridge, just running an old style 100w light bulb inside will completely negate the cooling capacity of the fridge.

the only reasonable way to cool the faucets IMHO, is with an on demand type system, meaning a system that only attempts to chill the faucets when you engage a switch or sensor of some sort.
your fridge will in all likelihood not be able to keep the faucets cool 247 while maintaining the desired temp inside the freezer.

ive seen folks try work a solution by placing reservoirs of glycol water directly in contact with the evaporator... thereby chilling below the air temps. this chilled water is then periodically pumped up to the insulated tower and circulated around the shank of the faucet. This setup should work well enough as long as the volume of tubing is small with respect to the volume of the chilled reservoir, and you do not try and chill the faucets 247.
also its worth noting that you could build some sort of cover for the faucets that would reduce the heat exchange... something like an outdoor hose bib cover would well, though look awful.

id suggest buying something with the highest BTUH per cubic foot possible...

I know this thread is a little old but I have a keezer and the best option I found was to run the line through a copper pipe that extended down into the keezer. The pipe conducts the cold up into the tower really well and I have never had a warm pour.

That's a pretty good idea, though it might make any repairs a little more difficult to access. Did you run a copper pipe to each faucet or just run one big enough to hold all of the beer lines? Also, how far down into the box does it come? 

My setup wasn't going to be a coffin style setup, I only have a single tower setup on it right now, but I was going to swap it out for a few doubles. It wouldn't be hard to do it in a coffin style setup though, as long as you ran the beer lines up through a pvc pipe that had the copper in the center. My copper pipe is only held in by the insulation, it isn't permanent so it will pull right out if I need to take the tower off. I think mine extends down about 8-10", but I have plenty of room. If you built a collar for the lid you would have no issues with them hitting the tops of the kegs. I actually found my copper pipe in the scrap pile, the one I am using now is 1" but I also snagged a piece of 2.5" for when I want to upgrade to a double or triple tower. 

You can see the rough drawings I did of how I want to set mine up at post number 7. The coffin will be 3 by 2 rather than 4 by 2 and set up the opposite to what is shown.

Back