• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Kentucky man shoots down drone

CAPCOM said:
You will see an onslaught of jammers entering the market that will be short range(virtually untraceable) that jam multiple freqs used by commercially available drones. That will fix them!

You might see jammers. Then they'll be illegal really fast. And using one is the equivalent of turning on a spotlight at night. Except daylight doesnt matter.

You wouldnt wanna be anywhere near any kind of jammer if you lived in say....Pakistan IYKWIM

I see model rocketry making a huge comeback.

lol

CAPCOM said:
And with the fairly high cost of these things, operator beware of where you fly.

i totally agree.

i am decidedly not pro-creep ...

i do not think you should be able to fly one as a child (by definition, 18 yrs) ...

too much risk of hurting someone ... by a group too susceptible to peer pressure ...

i also think that remote, unmanned surveillance capacity in the hands of the public could be something we want to have going forward ...

I see a sharp uptick of Machine Language classes at all the Unis.  :lol:

grantmichaels said:

i also think that remote, unmanned surveillance capacity in the hands of the public could be something we want to have going forward ...

definitely, definitely

definitely need a skynet

definitely
C'mon grant. You turnt me into Rainman with that one.

Heckle said:

You might see jammers. Then they'll be illegal really fast. And using one is the equivalent of turning on a spotlight at night. Except daylight doesnt matter.

I disagree that a transmitter driving an upward-pointed directional antenna would be like using a spotlight. It would take someone quite a while to triangulate such a signal, wouldn't it? Especially if that user was smart about how often and from where they transmitted.

Heckle said:
I've been trying to find this for the last 20 min

https://youtu.be/0p4BQ1XzwDg?t=38s

"Wide Area Persistent Stare"

Oh yeah ... totally coming, if not here already (satellite-based, resolution guaranteed to exceed admitted numbers, which are already sub-meter) ...

I had a great idea for a web app that was based on matching purchased satellite data with Amz Mechanical Turk to provide a deliverable ...

Providing near-real-time parking site availability to an iOS/Android app for shopping location parking lots ...

Compare photos in time series database, and then have Mechanical Turk reviewers for the one's the algo flags as having changed between intervals ...

The existing plug-in's for the open-source packages for managing webcams can already drawn circled around areas of disparity, so you could literally have Turks answering binary questions - "does this image-set depict 2 additional avsailable parking spots? (yes or no)" ...

Anyways ...

I want that app ... someone get on that =)

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I disagree that a transmitter driving an upward-pointed directional antenna would be like using a spotlight. It would take someone quite a while to triangulate such a signal, wouldn't it? Especially if that user was smart about how often and from where they transmitted.

Not from somewhere up high.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Crossbow, no noise and drone down...that is how I will roll ;) Then same for you and your friends when you come to recover, nothing a pig can't clean up in a few hours time. 

BS. Because you know the kind of people who fly them now, and know they aren't people who's murder will go unsolved.

Costly and time-consuming endeavor with all sorts of trackability at this point in time to fly them.

To my knowledge, there isn't a big underground market for surveillance drone's with audited open-source flight controllers and parts which do not originate in the marketplace ...

But as per the usual, the university-level teachers and instructors are keeping the balance ... those folks are doing just that as part of their programs, teaching kids how to make them using PIC and simple circuitry using Make style gear that's widely available ...

Support your librarians and teachers etc ... use linux and open-source ...

Oh, and get your minds around the idea of networking between citizens (mesh etc) and developing counter-surveillance heuristics ...

I'm guessing by ... uhm ... before the end of the 1st term of the next president.

If they aren't already maintaining blanket petapixel coverage of popular destinations for off-the-grid peoples (Arizona, Ozarks whatever) and our metropolis cities ... well, then I'm disappointed in them.

Bah ...

Terminator ...

That's why I'm a Renaissance guy ... good food, good drink, good times ... because it's going to hell, otherwise.

In politics, the Renaissance contributed the development of the conventions of diplomacy, and in science an increased reliance on observation. Although the Renaissance saw revolutions in many intellectual pursuits, as well as social and political upheaval, it is perhaps best known for its artistic developments and the contributions of such polymaths as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo, who inspired the term "Renaissance man".

LOL.

moruga welder said:
a kentucky man was fined 1800 dollars for shooting down a drone that was hovering up over his sunbathing daughter ,  couldn't help but to think of Ajdrew !  i remember a quote he said about kentuckians and rifles = drones !  lol     :onfire:
Son, let me tell you what: You are obviously not from Kentucky cause if you were you'd recall it was a shotgun.  Everyone knows Drone Skeet requires the right gun.  That and I'll bet you didnt know it but I am a fiddle player too.

Now for the fun part, it has come out the drone had a camera and recorded every bit of its flight which was NOT over his teen daughter sunbathing.  The guy followed the damn thing down the street to shoot it.  I think bier was involved.  That or a jar of clear.

As a hippie redneck, I am torn.  One side of me wants to yell yehaw.  The other side wants me to say give peace a chance.

grantmichaels said:

Oh yeah ... totally coming, if not here already

Then why all this outrage (not just you though) over 500 ft of airspace?

Someone is or will be 'looking in your window or yard' anyway.

grantmichaels said:

BS. Because...

...crossbow.

lol

The drones yall are talking about following and shooting are the ones sold in wal mart.

You arent going to follow a drone that can shoot up to a couple thousand feet in a few seconds and then sideways just as quickly.

How far do those shotguns work? I think cameras work from a lot further.

Heckle said:

Then why all this outrage (not just you though) over 500 ft of airspace?

Someone is or will be 'looking in your window or yard' anyway.

...crossbow.

lol

Because there's a huge number of people doing things that they don't want getting out in church in their homes, and they ... want it to stay "private" ...

At least we all want privacy, so I guess there's that ...

I'm just more focused on wanting to maintain my privacy from criminals ... but that's because I understand carding and identity theft, I guess ...

That's why I don't want mine data stockpiled ... not because I care about them doing SIGINT on it to try to detect attacks, but because I don't want it sitting in aggregate in silos that we're protecting with fucking Windows computers and/or just a beefy instance of Red Hat OpenShift and fucking Amazon Azure ...

Let's call it what it really is ...

I'm more heuristically Jewish ... even though I haven't been in a temple for literally 26 years now, I had a bar mitzvah once and attended "Sunday school" at a temple for my childhood years ...

There are people who hate me for that fact alone ...

I'd prefer if they have less access to my location data, thank you.

It's that simple.

The chances are relatively small, but you know, you just never know if you are the unlucky one, or the one will that extra fatty flavor lol ...
ajdrew said:
Now for the fun part, it has come out the drone had a camera and recorded every bit of its flight which was NOT over his teen daughter sunbathing.  The guy followed the damn thing down the street to shoot it.  I think bier was involved.  That or a jar of clear.

Yeah.

Most people flying them are really focused on not letting them fly away, not hurting someone, not getting it hung up in the tree, and ultimately not losing 1-4k ...

The tension with the public when operating them is absolutely my main deterrent from flying ...

I have three ... but only two have seen the air thus far ...

I have to tell you the weirdest thing ...

Here's the weird thing. The guy across the street and one house over has an extensive garden. His whole backyard is raised beds.

Now I know this.

I haven't said anything because I feel like it's an invasion that I know it.

It's a shame, because I'd love to see dude's fucking garden, LOL.

grantmichaels said:

Because there's a huge number of people doing things that they don't want getting out in church in their homes, and they ... want it to stay "private" ...

At least we all want privacy, so I guess there's that ...

Too late?

Patriot Act and the likes, SOPA, net neutrality, NSA...

Secrets are our prison.

I'm just more focused on wanting to maintain my privacy from criminals

You only mentioned financials. But criminals is a pretty wide net. How about criminals blackmailing govt officials to make certain supreme court decisions or pass certain laws using the surveillance already in place?

Let's call it what it really is ...

I'm more heuristically Jewish ... even though I haven't been in a temple for literally 26 years now, I had a bar mitzvah once and attended "Sunday school" at a temple for my childhood years ...

There are people who hate me for that fact alone ...

lol, apostate

The chances are relatively small, but you know, you just never know if you are the unlucky one, or the one will that extra fatty flavor lol ...

^ lol

You gotta be pretty tough by now anyway. Gonna have to be marinated.

grantmichaels said:
what's interesting is that a lot of you who are anti- don't realize the slippery slope tied to your beloved gun rights ...

start campaigning against freedoms and see where that gets you, really =)

that drone is someone else's "gun" ... get used to it.

The thing is is that we use our guns in appropriate locations (ie. gun ranges, hunting, etc). We don't go shooting them over our neighbors yards. How about taking your drone to an air park or public land like you would do with any other type of hobby aircraft?

TrueNorthReptiles said:

The thing is is that we use our guns in appropriate locations (ie. gun ranges, hunting, etc). We don't go shooting them over our neighbors yards. How about taking your drone to an air park or public land like you would do with any other type of hobby aircraft?

that's what i do ... but i test it in my lawn, and the things require a lot of maintenance ... there aren't auto-compensating algo's yet for the gyro's ...

there will be, though, and then they'll fly straight when one of the engines cut out ... but at this time ... crash.

ajdrew said:
Son, let me tell you what: You are obviously not from Kentucky cause if you were you'd recall it was a shotgun.  Everyone knows Drone Skeet requires the right gun.  That and I'll bet you didnt know it but I am a fiddle player too.

As a hippie redneck, I am torn.  One side of me wants to yell yehaw.  The other side wants me to say give peace a chance.
son ! gotta luvya man ! since i am 3 years older then you . yer right shotgun it was , didn't have time to go back and reference it word for word . my mom is actually from north carolina ( nags head ) so i do have a idea of what your saying , shotguns i do have , but the piece i like that i have is fully automatic 100 round clip . if you know what i mean . can rip em fast and furious . 

Back