• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Killed my newly planted Thai basil with 'swimming pool' water !

FYI ... Just to let everybody know ... Swimming pool water and newly emerging plants don't mix!

About 2 months ago, I had some Thai basil growing in pots. These were grown from seeds and were about 2" in height. Without thinking, I splattered some water from our swimming pool on these plants since the pots were so close to the edge of the pool.

Well, within 2 days, they were dead!

I guess only an idiot would have watered young fragile plants with pool water, but I paid it no mind at the time ... I had no idea that there was so much chlorine in the water so as to kill these plants like it did.

I am now growing some Thai Dragon red peppers. They have just popped out of the potting mix, and I can assure you that there will be NO swimming pool water used on these plants.

How I managed to fly military aircraft without incident for 25 years is amazing, considering the fact that I killed my new Thai basil plants within 2 days of doing something as stupid as watering them with swimming pool water!

oh well ...

My daughter gave our tomatoes iced tea one time. Don't feel bad even tap water is so chlorinated it can harm your plants haha!

Yep heavy chlorinated pool water will do the trick every time, I have to keep the dogs from getting into the garden as they like to pee on everything,  my little 4 year old dog Pepe can barely spray over a 12oz cup, but boots aka "The mouth" can squat and flood out well rooted pepper plants,  man dog pee can really fry a plant, so the garden is out of bounds for them.  Some of my favorite plants besides my peppers are lemon and lime Basil lemon grass egg plants and tomatoes, So I have to keep a eye on the dogs Boots has figured out how to open the gate and is not above eating anything she might get in her mouth and I sure don't want her sick or my plants pulled out and chewed on. :P

. I believe adding zinc and copper to the soil will help. Just read about adding chlorine pool water, YIKES! Id actaully suggest flushing the roots with distilled water first and see how it looks after 3 days. If little or no improvement, I'd add zinc and copper.
Oski said:
Was the pool sitting for 24 hours? Should have been fine.
24 hrs is the bare minimum for household tap water. I dont know for sure since Ive never owned a pool, but Im pretty sure swimming pool chlorine content is quite a bit higher then tap water

A faster way to kill an entire area of lawn is to empty your brew equipment sanitising liquid onto it :ROFL: and it stays dead ;)

Trippa said:
A faster way to kill an entire area of lawn is to empty your brew equipment sanitising liquid onto it :rofl: and it stays dead ;)

That is good to know for my future endeavors.

This was back in my younger years and I simply used sodium metabisulfite ... if you accidentally inhale the fumes of that stuff it clears the sinuses and kills the brain cells, makes you feel crook as ... and then kills the grass :D

Trippa said:
This was back in my younger years and I simply used sodium metabisulfite ... if you accidentally inhale the fumes of that stuff it clears the sinuses and kills the brain cells, makes you feel crook as ... and then kills the grass :D

So it pretty much kills every thing.  Got it.  Now where are those aphids!

Back