• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

King Taco Red Sauce Recipe

Not sure how many people from this forum live in southern California and are familiar with King Taco. This place has the best red hot sauce I have ever tasted. Its has an incredible addicting taste that I would love to be able to make at home. It sucks that I live like 3 hours away from the nearest KT. It is not the hottest sauce, I would give it a 6-7 in a scale to 10 but I would give it a 10 on taste. Just wondering if any other forum hot sause afficionado has tasted this sauce before.

King Taco isn't the best by far, you do know what you'll get. I work near BP, live between ELA and Pas, but I rarely go. I don't recall the red sauce, it doesn't make that much of an impression on me, but I don't drench my taco. I like to taste the meat and how well it's done.

plenty of better places to get a good taco and sauces in ELA and DTLA. Couple of trucks off Ave 43 and Alvarado (white/blue truck near jack n the box and the yellow one further south) have really nice red sauce.

glad no one mentioned tito's.. bleh.

I used to eat at the KT in East L.A. years ago. Nothing like having a police officer on foot patrolling the street corner while you ate! Anyway, I suspect the searing red sauce was a chile de arbol based sauce. I don't recall it being very complex in flavor. It was just a good marriage with the al pastor.

I'd say Rick Bayless can do tacos petty well for an anglo born in Okie and doing Mexican in Chicano, I mean Chicago. Nothing is better than Mexican tacos from street vendors in Mexico, especially since they provide non stop radishes from the cart. I like radishes. Oh yeah, bottled water too. But back to the OP. Does the food chain mentioned have the sauce available in packets? If so, I'd like to give it a try so feel free to send some this waaaaayy out here!

And merchant sponsored pictures do not count. Ever see a McDonald's or a Burger King picture of their "burgers"? NOT what you get in the bag.

Guillo1 said:
Not sure how many people from this forum live in southern California and are familiar with King Taco. This place has the best red hot sauce I have ever tasted. Its has an incredible addicting taste that I would love to be able to make at home. It sucks that I live like 3 hours away from the nearest KT. It is not the hottest sauce, I would give it a 6-7 in a scale to 10 but I would give it a 10 on taste. Just wondering if any other forum hot sause afficionado has tasted this sauce before.

OK not knocking you Guillo1 - it's just an absolute headcrusher for me: the word is ADDICTIVE.  There is no such word as addicting. 

The sauce is great. My recommendation for anyone eating at King Taco is to order the Carne Asada burrito "Puro Carne" with the red sauce, and dump an additional 1-2 containers of the red sauce into it as you eat. All you've got is meat and onions (and hot sauce) in the tortilla, its so much better than the basic burrito. It's so greasy it's almost like a Mexican cheese steak.  

Guillo1 said:
are you serious!! I've eaten A LOT of tacos in my time and the KT meat at salsa are some of the best tacos I've ever had. Only the tacos I grill at home compare and thats becuase I buy the best Aranchera meat by Harris Ranch. The salsa is also very unique. So you also don't care for the red salsa? Where have you tasted the best tacos? Maybe i'm missing out of a secret place.

One more question I got to ask. Are you hispanic or anglo? I ask because some anglos don't know what real authentic Mexican food should taste like. A while back I saw a show on that guy "Man vs Food" he went to a place in Santa Barbara called la Super Rica Tacos. It happened that after we saw that show we were in that town for a tournament and we decided to give it a try. We got there and there was a line wrapped around the little shack of a restaurant. We must of waited for over 30 minutes to place our order. As we waited in line te smell from the grilling meat was incredible. We finally got to the counter and man were the prices high. Then we get the food and it was not good at all. The portions were small, the meat was not that good and the salsas were terrible. I ordered a tri tip taco and the meat was hard and rough. I also ordered a watermelon fruit juice and they gave me big chucks of watermelon in a cup.

I would say that 90% of the people eating in that place were anglo or non-hispanic. Thus they don't know what real authentic Mexican food should taste like. a few weeks ago I ate at Chipotles for the first time and I was very disappointed. That is not real Mexican food.

Like they say if you want to eat real Mexican food go to a place where Mexicans are eat.
I ate at king tacos a few times when i used to work in maywood. I wasn't particularly impressed. The best tacos come from places that only sell tacos, is what i've noticed.  Here's a link to a lecture on Mexican food in the U.S. he touches on the topic of authenticity and how food and culture always moves and changes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okQ7CJiNoU

RobStar said:
OK not knocking you Guillo1 - it's just an absolute headcrusher for me: the word is ADDICTIVE.  There is no such word as addicting. 

It is is word, it is a transitive verb, as in, you are addicting him to cigarettes. :P

The Hot Pepper said:

It is is word, it is a transitive verb, as in, you are addicting him to cigarettes. :P

Not in my Oxford dictionary - only addict, addicted, addiction & addictive.  Correct use: he is becoming addicted to cigarettes.

Get a new one. ;)

Addicting is in the Oxford English Dictionary where it is listed as informal, with citations going back to 1939.

A bit off topic here trying to correct him. And it was a 2 year old quote. 

I read the King Taco thread chowhound threads - or tried - it does get boring  - and made an awesome red sauce from the following recipe (in the thread) -

I'm not sure if it's like the King Taco sauce - I have never eaten there - but this is my new hot sauce recipe:

original recipe:
1.5 cups each of chile de arbol and japones, boil in water with 4 whole garlic cloves – drain and save water
place chiles and garlic in a blender
add one third of a 7oz can of chipotles en adobo
then add 1tsp salt and very little each oregano and black pepper to taste - no more than 1/8 of tsp of each (I used Mexican oregano)
4 whole cloves - ground
1 tbs of knorr chicken
1/4 cup of white unflavored vinager
4 oz of black sticker Valentina hot sauce
2oz of habanero pulp (like Faraon)
(I couldn't find this and left it out)

(I added 2 California chiles to the boiling water, to get more of a red coloring.  These chiles didn't actually create the red look I was searching for.)

Blend at high speed until you get the right consistency. the water on the blender should be below the chilis then add water to get the thing to blend, the water should be from the one you boiled the chiles in.
 this will make a thick paste like salsa.

(strained the sauce and probably added too much chile water because my sauce is not a thick paste but a thinner sauce - AMAZING)

Back