• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kiwi Grow Off - Heaviest weight of pods off a single plant

So we need to hear from Sentencedtoburn. We are Chinense 4 and Pubes 3.  If Chinense gets it I have a suggestion.  I am very happy with the reaper if everyone else is but I think the 7 pot Lava would be out at that time too.  The lava would be new, hot, they look awesome, none of us would have any experience with them so it is an even pegging to start off, what do you reckon?

Robisburning said:
So we need to hear from Sentencedtoburn. We are Chinense 4 and Pubes 3.  If Chinense gets it I have a suggestion.  I am very happy with the reaper if everyone else is but I think the 7 pot Lava would be out at that time too.  The lava would be new, hot, they look awesome, none of us would have any experience with them so it is an even pegging to start off, what do you reckon?
Who sells the Lava and can we get them in?

Sweet, planning ahead! I like that guys! ;) 
Reaper is nice and easy and I will use plenty of them. So That's good by me! 
Of course I don't have a 7 pot lava and I do love new strains!!! 

Although I worry about now getting them into the country since MAF have cracked down. 
You guys had any issues importing the last few months? Apparently maximum $10,000 fine and 1 year in jail  :surprised:  :surprised:  :surprised:

Sorry guys I've been away from my PC for the last couple of days didnt see this. Can you put me down for pube thanks.

Just realised that i would've tied us up like that. I'm happy as with a Chinense as well. Lets make it Chinense then we have 3 v 5.

I've also just sent a PM to Clint @ fire dragon chillies to see if he is on here or not, whether he wants to get in on this.

Spoke to Sentencedtoburn and he is also in with Chinense.
Good news for me...i received an envelope with seeds including my Ice Scream Scorpion and a so called genuine Chocolate Reaper...time will tell!

SentencedToBurn said:
Sorry guys I've been away from my PC for the last couple of days didnt see this. Can you put me down for pube thanks.

Just realised that i would've tied us up like that. I'm happy as with a Chinense as well. Lets make it Chinense then we have 3 v 5.
I've also just sent a PM to Clint @ fire dragon chillies to see if he is on here or not, whether he wants to get in on this.
Bugger.

Ya should have tied it, going chinense gives this south islander a decent handicap.

Meh, everyone loves an underdog, it'll be fun.

Keen on the lava, it'd rock if we could source them!

:D

I do agree that you will have a disadvantage, we can mix it up next year.  I would be interested in how your pubes go in terms of productivity.  I read somewhere about Pubes producing 500lbs of fruit in their third year but that just seems hard to believe.  Check out halfway down this reputable looking page for a source: http://www.ecoseeds.com/

Bloody hell! That's a lot of pods Rob!

My greenhouse #2 was 11.7 c this morning, it's an odd season down here. It feels like autumn already.

I'm thinking house #3 might have to be on the agenda, complete with heating.

Yeah I'm keen for Chinense or Pubes. Got a pretty loaded Caballo (pubes) right now that has not been picked yet? But also have loads of Chinense waiting to be picked to! Can they be from overwintered plants?

Welcome to the forum! Awesome you're up for the grow off. No overwintered plants for this competition as the idea is it is a reflection of grower skill, we need everyone to start on a level pegging as it were.

We are not starting the plants until 1st July of this year.  It seemed like a good idea to arrange seeds and give everyone plenty of notice to prep soil etc.

It looks like Chineses is the go then.
We will probably get a few more people entering by the time July rolls around so say we get 15 people entering and multiply that by 5 seeds each thats 75 seeds needed.
Should we get a short list of plants to grow and have a vote?Do we want a cut off date for entering?
I have an isolated Dorset Naga that I am happy to distribute seeds from.

It is pretty good to see 9 people entering, more than I thought to be honest!  I reckon it is easy enough to enter people up until late june.  If they don't have seeds by the 1st of Juy it is too late for them to enter

Voting, yeah, lets do it.  Nominate a Chinense and then we can vote.  It should be stable and isolated seeds should be available. Ideally it will be productive, hot and tasty.

Sweet As! Thought it was this season! So everyone plants on the same day with the same seed like Hottt Asss Chillies and Fire Dragon Chillies did last year on the NZ Chilli Forums? Will have to up my game and feed this time round then ;) Who has isolated seed crop? Who has had issues with seed importation recently? Trying to work out weather they have cracked down or not?

I reckon people can plant any day they want, just not before 1st July.  1st of July is kinda early so some people might want to start a little later. 

Good question on isolated seed.  We have a lot of varieties growing collectively amongst us so we could isolate some flowers for seed stock.  Not sure about Pepperlovers seed methods but everything from her has grown true for me.  It looks like seeds are a bit hit and miss making it in.  Things have definitely changed at the border but it is not impossible to get seeds in.  Anecdotally I would say 50% of packages are making it as long as they have no overt markings indicating contents.

The dorset naga is interesting as there is a precedent of monster plants producing 10kgs of pods within a year, we have seed thanks to Swampy, we can compare our results with previous efforts from around the world etc.  My only concern is having seen Swampys plant this year I am not sure if it is possible to beat him.

Damn straight Rob, Swampy is easily 4 - 6 weeks ahead of me.

A change of tactic will be needed if I'm to stand a chance.

I like the Dorset naga.

Hey, welcome to the forum Clint.

I will nominate the Dorset Naga.
I got the seeds in from SeaSpring seeds last May and still have a good amount left plus I have an isolated plant that I can get more from.Seaspring isolate their Nagas for seed stock so they should be true.
Nice plant to grow.Definitely the biggest plants out of the chillies I have grown this year.I Am happy to send out seeds to all entering.

Here is a video of the monster they grew last season
Here was mine a few weeks ago

First small harvest a few days ago

You have to be looking good to pick over 1,000 pods off that thing. 

I nominate Lava.  Not heard from Judy yet so hopefully it will be available.  I am happy to buy the seeds we need for comp.

Back