• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

kmmuelle's 2016 Grow Log (First Time)

Hello!

This is my first attempt at growing peppers. However, in full disclosure I cheated a bit by avoiding the germination step and ordering twelve 6" tall plants from chileplants.com.

Types:

1 @ 7 Pot Yellow
2 @ Bhut Jolokia
1 @ Thick Cayenne
1 @ Fatalii
1 @ Chocolate Habanero
1 @ Lady Bell Hybrid
1 @ New Mexico 64
1 @ Serrano Del Sol Hybrid
1 @ Carolina Reaper
1 @ Szechuan
1 @ Thai Red

The plants were well packaged and arrived in small 2" x 2" x 3" plastic pots. I let them rest near a shaded window in a cool (65 degree) spot in my basement for about 3 days.

After the three days I transplanted them into 6 inch pots with a 50/50 mix of Hoffman's Organic Cactus and Succulent mix and perlite. The pots have several holes in the bottom for draining. I have been watering them about once every 4-5 days (when it feels pretty dry down to 4 inches) with about a cup of water per pot. It is just enough to flow out the bottom.

For the last two weeks, I have been slowly building my artificial lighting setup. I started with three 75 watt LED fixtures (5000k, 1100 lumens each). This morning I added a fourth 75 watt LED fixture and wrapped the setup in a reflective Mylar blanket.

Most of the plants are doing well, but some of them appear to be browning and drying along the edges. It appears to be spreading to the entire leaf, but most new leaves (post-transplant) appear to be OK. A few of them are coming out with brown tips.

After reading the forums, my best guess is transplant shock. I have not fertilized any since getting the plants (~2 weeks ago) since I wanted them to adjust to their new environment.

Hopefully in a few months I will have a great harvest. :onfire:

- kmmuelle

moruga welder said:
looks like you may be overwatering my friend .  might want to keep them on the dry side

Yeah, I have been known to overwater my plants in the past... I've been trying to water only when the soil is dry about halfway down the pot (that is about as far as my finger will reach).

Any suggestions on when I should fertilize for the first time? Also, at this stage of growth should I be using a certain NPK?

moruga welder said:
fish emulsion bat guano ,  have you fed them yet ?  also do you have a fan or air flow ? 

Thank you for the suggestions. I have not fed them yet since I wanted to see how they adapted to the new pot/soil before adding another variable to the mix. At the moment, I do not have any fans or air flow around the plants, but it should be pretty easy to add.  

moruga welder said:
your welcome , but really need a fan going

Fan is now up and running. I also fertilized for the first time using Alaska 5-1-1 fish fertilizer. Man, that stuff really smells, but the peppers seem to love it (note to self: don't mix up a batch in the utility sink near the kitchen...).

Back