• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kung Pao flavor

Hey guys, I grew a kung pao plant this past summer, and brought it indoors when the weather got warm. I think its broken. It's a beautiful plant, but the peppers coming off it taste terrible. Can anyone describe the flavor of a Kung Pao to me? These peppers tasted like bitter green beans, and they were fully ripened. Its unfortunate, because the plant itself looks really healthy, and has a nice dark rich green color. I might just keep it indoors as a house plant and forget about having it pod.

I can't describe the flavor, but I chopped up mine, fried it in olive oil, and added a scrambled egg. I was very good, no bitter taste.

"I think it's broken...." :lol:

I wonder about the stability of Kung Pao (I've seen it listed as a hybrid??). Two seasons ago I grew two plants from the same seed stock, one had a really nice taste, the other not as nice (still OK-ish, but different). I saved seeds from the nice tasting plant and grew them this season. Pods look a little different to the first plants I grew and I am getting a similar taste to what you describe. :sick:

very similar to cayenne - so that gives you a broad range of flavour from mild cayenne to sweet and juicy cayenne. if i remember, it wasn't as strongly flavoured, so milder cayenne but then that really depends on growing conditions too. maybe a flavour that is a blend of cayenne and superchile.

i would grow them over cayenne but then i have never tried pepperjoe's charleston cayenne version.

a few years ago, i was given a suryanki cluster plant grown from seeds from india by a neighbour. the pods from the neighbours original plant pack some heat and tasted like cayenne, the plant i grew out had the same nice, red pods but when i tasted them, they were bell pepper like and zero heat - and this was two plants. the only thing i could think was i didn't stress the plant enough.

+1 for simlar to cayenne. I found it to be very much like hot cayenne flavour, but with less sweetness.

Mine were slightly hotter than cayenne, but responses in this thread indicate that mileage varies.

Thanks for the heads up. So the plant is pretty much for looks at this point in time, I should not hold out hope that there will magically be a new round of not crappy tasting pods?

Back