• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Labeled as yellow 7s

Most everything I have gotten from Judy has grown true, but I have my reservations about my two Yellow 7 plants. Since the only yellow 7 pot I have grown before is the brainstrain, I am not sure what I should expect from a yellow 7. 

They have a fairly strong chinense smell but not overpoweringly so. A 1/4" slice through the center of the pepper gave a good hab like sting to my mouth but nothing like I experienced with a brain, bhut or scorp. 

I dried a bunch and sprinkled a healthy dose on some breaded fish I had for dinner, and again, it was hot, but I never could have handled that amount of scorp powder, and probably not bhut powder either. Seems to be hab heat level. 

I think I have some scotch bonnets here. What does the group think? 

20130821_180308.jpg

20130821_180332.jpg
20130821_180350.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looks a lot more like my yellow bonnets than my yellow 7's but you can easily tell once you taste it!

I agree, looks yellow bonnet like. Problem is I have never tasted either so  have nothing to base taste on other than chinense smell and heat level. 

My yellow 7s from judy also look like they are crossed with a bonnet this year. Seeds from last year produces prefect pods like a yel brainstrain, but smaller. I got new seeds this year from her and they aren't the same. Mine have more texture, yours look smooth. They are tasty and much hotter than yours sound. Same story with yel brains, better pod shapes on last seasons plants from the previous purchased seeds.

GA Growhead said:
My yellow 7s from judy also look like they are crossed with a bonnet this year. Seeds from last year produces prefect pods like a yel brainstrain, but smaller. I got new seeds this year from her and they aren't the same. Mine have more texture, yours look smooth. They are tasty and much hotter than yours sound. Same story with yel brains, better pod shapes on last seasons plants from the previous purchased seeds.
I was wondering if weather has something to do with this..I have heard it cannot impact pod shape but often wondered. It has been crazy for us East Coast friends.

romy6 said:
 Look very much like the yellow 7's I grow. An awesome pepper. There are many strains out there. I got mine from Judy as well. My strongest producing plant i have ever had . Tasty too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they look like yellow 7s that I have grown in the past too.  not growing any this year but they were always a great producer and a very tasty chile!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I was wondering if weather has something to do with this..I have heard it cannot impact pod shape but often wondered. It has been crazy for us East Coast friends.
I am starting to wonder that myself. I have maybe had 8 days in the last three months that it didn't rain at my house. Pods have been larger, way larger on some varieties than i expected, possible do to the rain. Water uptake could control growth, which could change the shapes. Some of my overwinters are not making the same pods as last season too. My butch T OW is making crazy pods, but made prefect pods last year. ?
Not faulting Judy by any means. The supers aren't the stablest things and you can't control nature.
I still have seeds from the previous years packs. I am thinking of growing a couple from each, next year, just to see. Now watch the weather be different and they look the exact same. :D

my seeds came from pepperlover, i am guessing 4 years ago. here is a pic of a pod from last years harvest(all pods looked identical):

now, this pic is from this years plant and the pod has even more bumps:

i have another plant that has smaller pods and are similar shape to yours, all seeds came out of the same packet and i only have 1 package.

remembering from last year the pods were killer hot. after a bite i had to sit down as my temples were throbbing and pain was gripping around my eyes as they had a steady stream of tears flooding out. i do remember the kids though, "dad what's wrong, dad, dad, dad, what's wrong, dad,dad, dad......(they continued for what seemed a life time)", they are taking after their mother! 

after i recovered, i took the girls shopping to the mall and i couldn't get the flavour off my breath. it seemed with every inhale like i was still eating the pod, without the heat. overall a cool experience!

I think there are probably multiple strains out there for yellow 7 pots. Those are not Scotch bonnets. However, they could be a cross with a SB or a degraded one (lost its bonnet shape).

Here is a pic of a yellow 7 pot I grew last year (I got the seeds through trade). Best tasting yellow pepper I've ever had. Probably bhut jolokia hot.
9573186748_cd161089ec_c.jpg

I just happen to be cutting some of my yellow 7's that I will try to make a lemon jelly with.   The shapes vary, but they are
pretty big peppers.  My source was the hippy seed company..

Back