LAND OF THE GIANTS 2016 - Biggest Jim Competition

Here's a pic of the 17" pepper, this is what we're aiming for!

4e7cde70d222b.image.jpg

dennish said:
Exciting news to share!

I am in touch with the good folks at ChileSeedUSA.  http://www.chileseedusa.com/

The Big Jim variety was developed on the Lytle farm and named after the founder, the late Jim Lytle.  Jim’s grandson, Faron, has very kindly offered a fantastic prize which will be offered to the 2nd place entrant, full details will be added to the post at the top of the thread.  Thanks so much for the support Faron!

Faron has also offered a batch of free World Record Big Jim Pepper seed, selected over generations to yield the biggest pods as described below…
In 2011 I Planted foundation seed my Grandmother selected from the lot# she took the world record from.
The results were many 20 inch (50.8 centimeters) pods. Guinness officials could not come to verify until late season, at that time the pods had turned red.  Guinness officials arrived and I was on a business trip, My Father Harvested a pod that measured 16 3/4 inches (42.545 centimeters) but did not have the registration fee to have it recorded.  I selected seed from many different plants that had 40-50 centimeter red pods, I have since harvested 52 centimeter pods from these selections”

The first 5 members who post in this thread will be sent a batch of World Record Big Jim Pepper seed free of charge, courtesy of ChileSeedUSA!
(5 offered here and 5 offered to chillies galore participants)

Note:
  • I will list the lucky recipients when all the seed have been allocated. 
  • I will cover onward postage costs, PM your address if selected.
  • You must already have registered an interest in taking in part in the competition in the thread to take advantage of this offer!
Lucky Recipients 
1) ColdSmoke
2) Big Kahuna
3) Skullbiker
4) MRpeabody
5) Goenoerd
6) Floricole

I’m sure you’ll agree this is a fantastic show of support from ChileSeedUSA and takes us one step closer to the origins of this great pepper! 

Free seed offer now closed, lucky recipients listed above, please PM me your address and I will post out the seed as soon as I get them.

Note: You can still get your hands on World Record Big Jim Pepper seed at http://www.chileseedusa.com/

Cool!

I send Faron a thank-you email and promise to look them up if I make it to the fall Chili Fest.

Hello From NW Ohio,

Hope I am not to late to put my hat in the ring. We won't drop seed till about first week in March. Will be armed with great organic fertilizer . Better Bring your A game.

D3monic said:
The seeds I acquired haven't germinated, if anyone in the states has any to spare I'd be happy to trade. 

If you're still stuck, send me a stamp or two.  I think I'll have enough of 3 varieties to share, including the record seeds from the contest.

Big Kahuna said:
Here's a pic of the 17" pepper, this is what we're aiming for!

4e7cde70d222b.image.jpg

Ya know, I try very hard not to judge people by their appearance but I can't help it here.  
After it was posted, I kept returning to this picture as the "feel" of it so reminds me of my late father-in-law, gone near twenty years now.

Don't these just look like good people!   I'd venture a guess that if these people are your friends, these people are your friends; no ifs, ands, or buts.

This might not be the winner , but its mine and it's beautiful.
All 8.5" of redness. No heat , but sweet and full of flavour.

I ate it as is .

P1160664.JPG

The plant third from the right in the pot. I think it is too heavy with fruit to give a really big one.
Maybe better to break out other flowers and fruits to concentrate the growing to one pod, but I still could not get myself to do it.

P1160666.JPG

P1160666.JPG

Attachments

• P1160663.JPG
    P1160663.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 84
Great looking pepper Karoo, nice work!  

Is that grown this season?  If so, would you like to submit as an entry to the leader board (you'll be top for some time methinks!)?

If so, please take note of the rules on posting entries listed in the first post of the thread;
1) Biggest pod = (length measurement + circumference measurement). i.e. my pod is 5cm long and has a max circumference of 5cm, giving a score = 10
2) Entries must be submitted with photo clearly showing length and circumference measurements posted in this thread. The pod doesn't have to be ripe. Pod must be pictured next to a ruler or tape measure to show length (edge of Cylex down to Apex) and with a tape measure wrapped around the fattest point to show circumference.

As a reference for everyone, measure length from the edge of the Cylex (not including it) to the tip of the pod Apex, as crudely marked here... you can allow for curvature of the pod wall (i.e. doesn't have to be straight down from points A to B.

531bb08c507460614d2751e91f99a2c6.jpg

dennish said:
Exciting news to share!

I am in touch with the good folks at ChileSeedUSA.  http://www.chileseedusa.com/

The Big Jim variety was developed on the Lytle farm and named after the founder, the late Jim Lytle.  Jim’s grandson, Faron, has very kindly offered a fantastic prize which will be offered to the 2nd place entrant, full details will be added to the post at the top of the thread.  Thanks so much for the support Faron!

Faron has also offered a batch of free World Record Big Jim Pepper seed, selected over generations to yield the biggest pods as described below…
In 2011 I Planted foundation seed my Grandmother selected from the lot# she took the world record from.
The results were many 20 inch (50.8 centimeters) pods. Guinness officials could not come to verify until late season, at that time the pods had turned red.  Guinness officials arrived and I was on a business trip, My Father Harvested a pod that measured 16 3/4 inches (42.545 centimeters) but did not have the registration fee to have it recorded.  I selected seed from many different plants that had 40-50 centimeter red pods, I have since harvested 52 centimeter pods from these selections

The first 5 members who post in this thread will be sent a batch of World Record Big Jim Pepper seed free of charge, courtesy of ChileSeedUSA!
(5 offered here and 5 offered to chillies galore participants)

Note:
  • I will list the lucky recipients when all the seed have been allocated. 
  • I will cover onward postage costs, PM your address if selected.
  • You must already have registered an interest in taking in part in the competition in the thread to take advantage of this offer!
Lucky Recipients 
1) ColdSmoke
2) Big Kahuna
3) Skullbiker
4) MRpeabody
5) Goenoerd
6) Floricole

I’m sure you’ll agree this is a fantastic show of support from ChileSeedUSA and takes us one step closer to the origins of this great pepper! 

Free seed offer now closed, lucky recipients listed above, please PM me your address and I will post out the seed as soon as I get them.

Note: You can still get your hands on World Record Big Jim Pepper seed at http://www.chileseedusa.com/
Congrats to the winners :dance:
I couldn't help myself, just kept reading that last line over and over until my fingers just took over and clicked on that link. Less than a minute later I was looking at a paid receipt for a pack of World Record Big Jim Pepper Seeds.
The countdown has begun :party:

dennish said:

Great looking pepper Karoo, nice work!  

Is that grown this season?  If so, would you like to submit as an entry to the leader board (you'll be top for some time methinks!)?

If so, please take note of the rules on posting entries listed in the first post of the thread;
1) Biggest pod = (length measurement + circumference measurement). i.e. my pod is 5cm long and has a max circumference of 5cm, giving a score = 10
2) Entries must be submitted with photo clearly showing length and circumference measurements posted in this thread. The pod doesn't have to be ripe. Pod must be pictured next to a ruler or tape measure to show length (edge of Cylex down to Apex) and with a tape measure wrapped around the fattest point to show circumference.

As a reference for everyone, measure length from the edge of the Cylex (not including it) to the tip of the pod Apex, as crudely marked here... you can allow for curvature of the pod wall (i.e. doesn't have to be straight down from points A to B.

531bb08c507460614d2751e91f99a2c6.jpg

Yes this season.
I already have my eye on a bigger one.
So this is not an entry yet , only to serve as inspiration to those busy germinating.

karoo said:
Yes this season.
I already have my eye on a bigger one.
So this is not an entry yet , only to serve as inspiration to those busy germinating.
OK cool.  Consider me inspired on this cold and grey February morning in the UK!  

roper2008 said:
Very nice pepper Karoo.  I would have grilled that baby.
Have grilled a few green ones and they were great.
this one I left to see and taste it when red , and I was not disappointed.
One of my favourite ways to enjoy peppers is eating them straight of the plant while walking in the garden.
Up to jalapenos of course!

Back