• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Lanky Seedlings

Hey there all.

I've got my next batch of seeds planted in my mini greenhouse germinator seed trays (and more to follow when / if my order shows up!)

They're on their heat mats but I've foregone the GroLites this time in favour of natural sunlight (it might be Autumn here in Perth but its still easily 35+ deg C with plenty of sunlight).

The blazing direct sunlight can quickly turn a germinator in to a microwave even with the vents open so I have opted for an out of direct sunlight location.

The only downside with this approach is the new seedlings are much lankier. I'm used to about 1" tall sprouts with seed / real leaves and this time they're closer to 2.5" with a big lean from the afternoon sun. I'm thinking they're faster to sprout, much taller and slower to show their first real leaves.:(

Am I being chili paranoid? When I think about it I've grown plenty of other things without artificial lights etc... Just interested in your thoughts.

Cheers, Antony.
(At the end of a week long chili bender)

It sounds like they are a little leggy and if they are leaning that would lead me to believe they are not getting the light they need. A pic would be nice.

Dale

Peppers need light as much as they need warmth. Break out the lights or take the dome off the germinater and get them some sunlight.

Seeds don't need a dome over them to germinate. Put the tray in the window - at worst you will need to water them more often.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Seeds don't need a dome over them to germinate.

I do notice that without a dome (especially in the cooler months) it makes a huge difference to the soil temp and temp variation overnight (thanks to my trusty thermometer).

Let there be... light!

I'll post a photo shortly.

I've reverted to my trusty twin tube fluoro grolux lights on top of whatever natural light they're getting...

Next batch is planted too. Mmmmm...

I agree with what others have said... If they are real leggy and leaning chances are they are "stretching" to get more light.

Back