• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Large Brown Rocoto

danish said:
Stunning grow, well done. May I ask, is that their natural growth habit or did you top those plants? That's a lot of lower growth. I wonder if the lower growth could take root and allow the plant to creep.

Personal opinion, I can't understand the appeal of dark coloured pods, I love to see colours that pop.

I don't top any of my plants. I never saw any benefit for as late as I start plants. Restricting root space can force fruit on some of these harder species.

The only plant I have personally had root itself was C.rhomboideum. The limbs laying on the ground rooted and dug into the ground. I'm sure other can too,but I haven't experienced it. C.flexuosum is known for setting out root suckers,kinda neat. I have had growth coming out of the roots under the lid of a hydro setup.

Pr0digal_son said:
The only plant I have personally had root itself was C.rhomboideum. The limbs laying on the ground rooted and dug into the ground. I'm sure other can too,but I haven't experienced it. C.flexuosum is known for setting out root suckers,kinda neat. I have had growth coming out of the roots under the lid of a hydro setup.

That's really cool. It would certainly make it easier multiplying plants that way. I haven't grown any wilds yet but that has certainly peaked my interest. I hear the rhomboideum has a vanilla taste too? I once heard of a technique for taking pepper clones to put a plug around a stem node and let it take root before taking the cutting, never tried it though.

I also grow Rocotos. I have never grown the Brown but I do reds. I also have seeds of the yellow. Hope they are still good. My seeds are what I originally obtained when in Peru

Pr0digal_son said:

They are such useful plants,and not bad to look at either. Jalapeno is about the only pepper that I can think of that is equal to these when it comes to eating and cooking with. I suggest you try some smaller podded varieties or some that have proven to stand up to warmer seasons. 

Would you happen to know of any that can take the hot summers down my way?

Chewi said:

Would you happen to know of any that can take the hot summers down my way?

I would suggest you try 5 plants and pick ones that vary greatly in pod size,color,and origin. Maybe some that members here have had success with further south. Standbyandfire is in Savannah and had success with his pubes. I think he overwintered them.

You could sow seeds in May,grow them under lights indoors,then transplant them into containers around September.When you get a random frost late in the year just tuck them in the garage for a night.

I would try some inground under a dense shade cloth too. In November sow under lights inside and plant out March. Try to sneak some pods before July,and maybe get a fall harvest too.

It would be great to see more southern growers trying these and succeeding.

I know Windchicken can grow the Cabe Gendot. I'm currently looking for heat tolerant ones. I thing Rocoto Sn Isidro is one, but I can't find any additional info.

Chewi said:
I know Windchicken can grow the Cabe Gendot. I'm currently looking for heat tolerant ones. I thing Rocoto Sn Isidro is one, but I can't find any additional info.

Definitely talk to Windchicken,he is a class act and will help. I think his Gendot produced for him in second season,it's been awhile since I read about it though. I haven't grown that one personally,but have grown San Isidro.

There are definitely ones that handle heat better. I still think you can have success by timing it out differently and by using shade cloth.  I will be getting back into seed giveaways and trades later in the season and will help you out with some different ones to try. 

Back