• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lava's Log

Hey all. This is my first Glog in my third year of casual growing.
Last year I had good success with Fresnos, Apaches and a couple of others.
This years starters:
Fresnos (seeds from last year's pods)
Fresnos (last year's seeds)
Rocoto aji largo (from semillas)
Rocoto Guatemalan orange (semillas)
Jay's peach ghost (semillas)
Bhut jolokia (source unknown)

I grow in soil indoors in England and it's fair to say my approach is pretty relaxed!
The seeds go into soil in groups and sit on too of the vivarium for steady heat. Once I get some shoots the sprogs spend evenings on the Viv and days in the window.

First few up!
IMG_20200211_184541.jpg

The bhut seeds haven't popped after a couple of weeks, same with the original Fresnos. I'll persevere with some fresh bhut seeds using some of the tips on here (aka try more than shoving in some damp soil). My friend bought me them for xmas, although I'm pretty sure he just wants more chilli jam!!

The babies after a week
IMG_20200222_145849.jpg

IMG_20200222_145908.jpg

IMG_20200222_145933.jpg

IMG_20200222_145950.jpg

So far I have 2/3 Fresnos, 4/4 rocoto aji largo, 3/4 rocoto Guatemalan orange and just 1/4 JPG. Pretty happy with that.

I'm going to try and post weekly updates..
Comments, criticism, encouragement and insults all welcome

Looking great! Keeping it simple, I can definitely respect that.

LavaTonsil said:
I'll persevere with some fresh bhut seeds using some of the tips on here (aka try more than shoving in some damp soil). My friend bought me them for xmas, although I'm pretty sure he just wants more chilli jam!!

Well, if that's the case, it seems like a reasonable trade to me. ;)

Pimental said:
Dang, those sprouts got big fast. Is that a usual rate of growth? This is my first year growing from seeds, so - just curious.
I don't think they're much bigger than usual, but it may be more like ten days growth from them being hooks.
The downside of doing things in relaxed way... I always think "I'll write that down" but it happens so sporadically my notes don't really make sense on reflection
I'd certainly look at the more experienced (and organised) growers on here for what's normal.
Thanks for the comments all!

LavaTonsil said:
I don't think they're much bigger than usual, but it may be more like ten days growth from them being hooks.
The downside of doing things in relaxed way... I always think "I'll write that down" but it happens so sporadically my notes don't really make sense on reflection
I'd certainly look at the more experienced (and organised) growers on here for what's normal.
Thanks for the comments all!
Thanks for the info. My sprouts have been under my desk lamp (an LED supposedly equivalent to an 100W incandescent bulb) and though the largest've been "sprouted" about 10 days, they're only as big as the biggest sprouts in the first photo you have. I'm not super worried - I just thought to check when I saw how big yours were getting.

Pimental

Pimental said:
Thanks for the info. My sprouts have been under my desk lamp (an LED supposedly equivalent to an 100W incandescent bulb) and though the largest've been "sprouted" about 10 days, they're only as big as the biggest sprouts in the first photo you have. I'm not super worried - I just thought to check when I saw how big yours were getting.

Pimental
Some plants are naturally smaller than others. If they are green and look happy they will probably keep growing

Here's the latest, I've potted into the intermediate pots (about 1.5litre capacity) and all except the stunted JPG seem to be happy.
I put a layer of perlite on the bottom over some clean crock to cover the largest holes. Once potted up they got a layer of DE on the top (appears to limit the b*stard fungus gnats for me - another THP tip I picked up from forum scouring).

I've also got a couple of bhut jolokia seeds keeping warm on the vivarium on some damp kitchen roll to see if I can get them going. Second try with these seeds but after 4 days there's no progress so far. Gonna read up some on here if this doesn't work, maybe try a presoak. I'm not ready to give in just yet!

Ready for homes of their own
IMG_20200307_105233.jpg

The crew hogging the window sill, toothpick stakes and all. Slightly lower soil levels than anticipated
IMG_20200308_170026.jpg

The potential bhut babies
IMG_20200307_105124.jpg

Hey all, I hope everyone's keeping safe and sane during current lockdowns/restrictions.
My plants are generally doing well, growing nicely with the Fresno putting out some early flowers.
The rocoto Guatemalan orange are getting quite tall, considering topping but can't bring myself to do it just yet!

IMG_20200411_104528.jpg

The babies all doing well, although the middle one is massively outgrowing the others

A couple of questions, if anybody can help...
The jay's peach ghost is bar far my smallest plant (surpassed now even by the runt of the rocotos) it appears healthy but should I give it any special treatment, or it is it just a slow grower?
The rocoto aji largo have some pimpling/bumps on the larger leaves (pic below), anything to be concerned about? Again they appear healthy other than this.
IMG_20200414_115953.jpg

IMG_20200414_115943.jpg

Andy

The JPGS may just be a slow grower.
I personally don't have any experience
with that variety.

As for the bumps, could be some edema.
My plants get that as well, sometimes.
Moving outside in the summer seems to
clear it up.

Hey LT.  Looks like things are doing well.  Regarding edema, sometimes it just seems to happen.  I don't see any indication whatsoever that you're over-watering your plants.  About the JPG, it should expected to grow slower than your other peppers.  Being a Chinense x Frutescens, Ghosts/Bhuts tend to grow slower anyway, plus they're going to prefer warmer conditions than Annuum and, in particular, Pubescens to perform their best.

Take good care of that one in the middle.  I have the feeling you're going to be over-wintering her for years to come!

I grow the peach ghosts, when starting from seed they are fairly slow but after a couple of months they pick up the pace. Growing from cuttings they grow very fast. Peach ghosts are my favourite chilli plants to grow, I over wintered 10 of them and took cuttings from my favourite 2 plants aswell.

CaneDog said:
Hey LT.  Looks like things are doing well.  Regarding edema, sometimes it just seems to happen.  I don't see any indication whatsoever that you're over-watering your plants.  About the JPG, it should expected to grow slower than your other peppers.  Being a Chinense x Frutescens, Ghosts/Bhuts tend to grow slower anyway, plus they're going to prefer warmer conditions than Annuum and, in particular, Pubescens to perform their best.

Take good care of that one in the middle.  I have the feeling you're going to be over-wintering her for years to come!

Thanks CD! She's been the best thing about lockdown so far.
Great information on the species, gladly received. Oddly enough the rocotos that show the edema are tending to dry out more quickly than the other plants. They are due a repot soon as roots are starting to creep out the bottoms of the pots, and I'll continue to monitor.

Swinglish said:
I grow the peach ghosts, when starting from seed they are fairly slow but after a couple of months they pick up the pace. Growing from cuttings they grow very fast. Peach ghosts are my favourite chilli plants to grow, I over wintered 10 of them and took cuttings from my favourite 2 plants aswell.
Much appreciated Swinglish. I guessed as much but a forum Search delivered a lot of content to trawl through!
I grew a chinense (supposed 'ghost' chilli - it wasn't) last year which was also slow growing and quite compact. Also good to know it may yield something in a northern European climate!

Back