• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Burn?

I have this unlabeled hot pepper plant in my garden and there seems to be some burning on the  upper most leaves.  Any ideas as to what this might be? 

2014-07-02%2015.41.08.jpg

Looks like some nutrient burn with the curled leaves and all . Ease on on the NPK and it should be fine .

Here is another picture.  I don't know what the black stuff is.  If you look to the left of the black spotted leaf, you will see the curling.  About 4-5 leaves are affected.
2014-07-02%2016.37.55.jpg

slightly off topic but I went outside in the evening to look at all of the plants in general.  I noticed that a few plants had Japanese beetles on them.  Do Japanese beetles eat pepper plant leaves?  Just curious.

Thanks.

bpiela said:
slightly off topic but I went outside in the evening to look at all of the plants in general.  I noticed that a few plants had Japanese beetles on them.  Do Japanese beetles eat pepper plant leaves?  Just curious.

Thanks.
These guys list japanese beetles as a pest for hungarian hot waxes--so seems they do.

So did you figure out what was the cause? Last week, I found some black stuff that oddly looks a lot like the stuff on your plants + acccompanied by missing chunks of leaves (something got at the peppers, perilla, sweet potatoes, but not the garlic, chives, lemongrass, nor strawberries).
VX1enaR.jpg

ZfPWhJN.jpg

The black stuff has dried up now, so I'm guessing it's some kind of excrement. Whatever I have it seems to feed at night and it's mobile given the fact that it's been going from pot to pot--winged like a beetle or maybe some kind of leafhopper.

I have that same thing happening to some of my leaves at the moment.., the darkening & shriveling...

Regarding the black stuff I to have that on some of my leaves.. At first I thought it might be fungal but it scrapes of easily so I'm guessing it's bug crap. Also the undersides of the leaves with the crap are peppered with brown spots around the edges - not content with just eating my plants they crap it back out them :D

I've no idea what bug might be causing it though.
I just did a little google search and I may have my culprit, possible yours too.

"Lace Bugs" - Google them.

Back