• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf troubles again

Hi

I'm having a few problems with my leaves again! I've done a bit of research and read that thrips can cause browning on the underside of leaves as well as some leaf curl but I also seem to be getting some weird white and sometimes black spots on the leaves that look a bit worrying.

Can anyone confirm thrips or have any idea what's going on?? I live in Perth where it is starting to cool down a bit now that we're in autumn. Temperature still hovers between 7-25 degrees. The plants are all in the ground and this problem has only come about recently for these plants.

I'm not sure what to do but I sprayed them with pesticide this afternoon, just in case.

Thanks for looking :)
Chris

Back of one leaf

Front of same leaf

Thanks again!

I don't now much about peppers diseases (never had some) but it look like this :

pseudomonas_confused_w_bac-spot_fr.jpg

Looks like a bacterial infection, though could be fungal. Spray with dilute H2O2 and isolate the plant. Ease off on the water and try to keep the humidity low if that is possible. Probably best to strip off the worst affected leaves.

Thanks guys, will give that a try. I stripped off most of the affected leaves yesterday before spraying with the pesticide so will try that H2O2 in a few days also. Where do I get that from? Is it a common household item I might already have? I have some lime sulfur also, I heard that can be good for diseases, reckon that's any good for this?

I haven't been watering them very much since it's cooled down a bit but they had a pretty heavy dose of rain last week.

Thanks again, fingers crossed since these are some of my better plants :( why is it always the good ones!?!?!!! I've got some jalapeno plants nearby that I don't want anymore that are pristine! haha

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/research/horticulture/nmca30.pdf

bacterial leaf spot doc.

How do leaf spot bacteria spread in fields?

" Infected plants displaying symptoms act as a rapid means of dispersal of the leaf

spot bacteria. The spread of the pathogen is favored by rainfall splash and by farm

operations in fields when foliage is wet. Upon impacting on lesions, rain droplets

disperse bacterial cells through many micro-droplets from infected plants to

neighboring healthy plants or over distances as far as a few meters, especially under

windy conditions."

why is it always the good ones!?!?!!! I've got some jalapeno plants nearby that I don't want anymore that are pristine!
You have angered the pepper gods! Bathe in the ashes of 1,000 superhot pods burned under a full moon then face North and ask for forgiveness from Capisicumcoatl.

Seriously though, it doesn't surprise me about the Jalapeno. For decades they have been doing breeding development work on Jalapenos in North America. I have a carribean red and a jalapeno in pots right next to each other. The hab has some minor leaf spotting, a few torn leaves, and I have been fighting off aphids. The Jalapeno is perfect, the aphids won't even touch it.

Back