• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

'Leafy' Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm growing Naga Morich and Chocolate Habs for the first time (along with a few other habs), and I seem to notice a gigantic difference in the leaf and plant size versus the other Habs I'm growing.

Choco Hab
ChocHab2Jun5-09-1.jpg

Naga Morich
Naga2Jun5-09.jpg

The Naga grew so much over the weekend the leaf under the little black film tin simply popped it off the stake.

I measured the Choc Hab and Naga leaves this morning and they seemed huge: 5.5inches by 8 inches (Choc) and 5 inches by 9 inches (Naga)! When I looked accross and saw the Orange Hab and the Caribbean Red Hab, the leaves were only about one third the size.

Is this normal for both of these varieties?

thanks. :)

Thanks, billyboy.

Really nervous about growing them at work, since I usually have to cross my fingers and hope I've watered them enough on Friday for them to not wilt on the weekend. Management have switched off the radiators because it's 'summer', but as with all British summers, it's the beginning of June and the forecast for this week is rain and an average daytime temperature of between 14-19 celcius.:(

I've got another 'leafy question'

I noticed two of the plants (an Etna and a Stromboli) have what seems to be a 'sprinkled sugar' look on some of the leaves. Should I be worried?

It hasn't happened to any of the other plants so far.

Here's a pic of some of my 2nd year Choc. Hab plants's leaves showing the wonderful glossy dark green and crinkly look they get. I just love 'em. :)

These aren't that big ATM as the plant was cut waaay back at one point and it's always been indoors.

S6303158.jpg

S6303160.jpg

20mc pots if I remember correctly.

They look gargantuan compared to the rest of the plants on that windowsil.

QuadShotz, those leaves look absolutely fantastic! :) Very deep and rich green color.

Mine are in 8"x8" 1.62 gal molded fiber pots, his pots look to be similar scale if his leaves are 8-9" (!)

I don't think mine ever got more than 5", which they are now....so he's got monsters....

(cues evil clown)

8.gif

*edit*

Thx Aji!

It's a twisted looking plant..grew two main stems back after being cut back early this year. IDK how yours got so huge though..pretty impressive.

Mine were the exact same way. What I've done is cut off of couple of the bottom leaves and trimmed the rest. I've got all kinds of branches starting and new leaves forming where the lower leaves were removed.

Here's what I'm referring to:

IMG_5320.jpg

Every spot on the stem where the new leaves/branches are forming was once a single, huge leaf.

Good luck.

Cool....

Here's what I mean by twisted...

S6303161.jpg

S6303162.jpg

It formed two side stems, that became the main stem(s).

Needless to say, it's kind of an ugly mess, but pretty healthy.

I like the look of the twisted hab (doesn't bode well for my personality, I reckon...)

I'll trim some of the bottom leaves tomorrow and see how that works out. Both the Choc Hab and the Naga Morich are already showing quite a few smaller leaves growing right above the 'Giganto-leaves'.

I only hope if they are big on leaves they are also big on flavour and fire! :)

patrick said:
Twisted eh? Kind of taking after it's daddy maybe?:P

It's entirely possible...
3.gif

Aji Chombo said:
I like the look of the twisted hab (doesn't bode well for my personality, I reckon...)
I only hope if they are big on leaves they are also big on flavour and fire! :)

You'll fit right in around here then... ;)

I noticed I had much larger leaves teh first year, now more crinkled and compact after my painful surgery ealier this year. (after a huge leaf-drop in october cold left it with only top leaves)

It's in my Frankengrow-Diary link in the sig...

skol,

QS

Back