• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves eaten by something, a little help please

Hi All, 

My SRP's have been doing great pumping out peppers and the shaded ones are super green and full of leaves. I noticed lately several leaves with this new thing going on its like the leaves are translucent after something is eating them but I can't tell what. I've recently sprayed with organicide  , this one I've not seen before, any suggestions ? 

Thanks and have a great weekend. 

Attachments

• 20190907_164831.jpg
    20190907_164831.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20190907_164837.jpg
    20190907_164837.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190907_164831.jpg
    20190907_164831.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 63
  • caterpillar.jpg
    caterpillar.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 57
Looks like the damage my plants suffered from aphids in May.  My neem oil didnt seem to get rid of them, ended up having to use sevin dust to get rid of them.  if you spray your plants with a little water from below it can knock a bunch of them off too.

Just my opinion, but the translucent areas look like sun scald/burn to me. I've had the exact same on my young SRP plants that were not hardened off enough. Baccatum don't like mid day FL summer sun.
 The black round dots, not to sure if its an advanced stage of burn or some opportunistic pest liked the 'cooked' area of those leafs and did a temporary chow down. Or the compromised burned translucent area was attacked by bacteria/virus...? Either way I'd remove those leafs immediately as they will never 'heal...

I've got more experience with Aphids then I care for, a lot more. Aphids are not hard to see, and I see none in your pics.

Here are some pics of Aphids I've dealt with.  Neem oil was extremely effective on these Aphids, from my experience with Florida Aphids. 1 well mixed, well emulsified, constantly shaken, soaking under and over leaf/stem/ soil, drenching with neem killed every last 1 of them. The last pic of the fat tan colored aphid corpse is about to hatch a beautiful parasitic wasp... :cool:

post-15502-0-80482200-1558803217_thumb.jpg

post-15502-0-35488800-1558803233.jpg

post-15502-0-72374200-1558803244.jpg

Thanks for the info, these plants have been mostly in the shade for the last month or so since they were wilting. I tend to remove these leaves as suggested but I'm just hoping to figure out the source so I can avoid it in the future. I'll keep an eye on it and thanks

Hatfield said:
Looks like the damage my plants suffered from aphids in May.  My neem oil didnt seem to get rid of them, ended up having to use sevin dust to get rid of them.  if you spray your plants with a little water from below it can knock a bunch of them off too.

Aphids won't chew holes in leaves.  They are juice suckers. 

Also thinking that this could be caterpillars.  Did you find any poo close by, on any of the other leaves? 

Haven't seen any flea beatles, I spend a fair amount of time looking over my plants and I've not seen anything like that, it doesnt mean it isn't I'm just saying I've not seen that bug. I also don't see any caterpillar poop, I did pull some baby caterpillars off recently after I noticed some leaves with large parts removed. I just got some neem oil so I can try that in a few days as I sprayed the organacide last week. 

Thanks

SOLVED, I went out to remove the bad leaves and take a close look and found 7 caterpillars in total on 2 plants, some were so small I could barely see them, this pic was one of the larger ones. Hope it helps others that might be having the same thing. I'm going to have to really comb over these plants when I see this sign from now on. 

Thanks to all that replied, appreciated the help. 

Attachments

• caterpillar.jpg
    caterpillar.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 62
Laheat said:
SOLVED, I went out to remove the bad leaves and take a close look and found 7 caterpillars in total on 2 plants, some were so small I could barely see them, this pic was one of the larger ones. Hope it helps others that might be having the same thing. I'm going to have to really comb over these plants when I see this sign from now on. 

Thanks to all that replied, appreciated the help. 

Spray them with pressurised water

Back