• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves fell off...

Well i had 3 plants, two habaneros, and a pequin. The habs dropped their leaves, the pequin did too...but oddly kept producing peppers(pequin). The only thing i did was fertilize with the jobes organic stuff. There is new growth showing rapidly on the old branches. Is this a phase(due to weather?) or a reaction from the fert? They are outdoor plants, no issues with the sun, drainage etc. I am in Houston, No freezing yet but down to 40 a few times this year, I've brought them inside during those times.

Thanks.

It's a reaction to winter. The plant is going into hybernation. It's simply ging up on foliage and allocating it's energy to reproduction, the whole and single goal of plants. If it is regrowing foliage it probably had some sunny days again. The plant is very fragile in this phase, allowing to grow peppers depletes all of it's energy as it barely has photosynthesis. Frost, aphids, mold and overwatering can also cause death.

Pfeffer said:
It's a reaction to winter. The plant is going into hybernation. It's simply ging up on foliage and allocating it's energy to reproduction, the whole and single goal of plants. If it is regrowing foliage it probably had some sunny days again. The plant is very fragile in this phase, allowing to grow peppers depletes all of it's energy as it barely has photosynthesis. Frost, aphids, mold and overwatering can also cause death.
Strange, My serrano pepper plant is still producing and is outside 24/7

Serrano is an amnuum, which are generally more hardy then chinenses. Chinenses usually drop leaves first. Then baccatum and amnuum, last are usually pubescens.

Back