• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Leaves turned purple under Floro lights

Older growth has had more exposure to the light. New growth will likely "tan" in time if left under the same lights.

A quick remark about the T5s. Reading the Wiki article saying that anthocyanin may be produced as a reaction to short wavelength UV light, there is indeed a good chance that this is the reason for the leaves turning purple. The mercury in the T5 emits light in the UV, which is then converted into visible light (400-700 nm) by the phosfor covering the inside of the tube. The final spectrum of the T5 consists of the visible combined with UV which has escaped conversion.

I'm having a similar issue with my new seedlings.

This one is a Jalapeno, just over a week old.

img1625ft.jpg

I have 6 jalapeno seedlings and they're all experiencing the same thing to some degree. Some only have purple edges, some the entire leaf is turning purple.

The same thing is happening to my bhut jolokia seedlings too. My cayenne and habanero's seem unaffected.

Currently I have them under fluorescent lights for 18 hours of light, 6 hours of darkness. I'm using two 32W 6500k T8 bulbs (Sylvania EcoLogic bulbs). They're about 1.5 inches above the tallest plant.

They're planted in peat pots with a soiless seed starting mix. Shutlz Seed Starter Plus is what I used. It has some mild ferts in it.

So from what I understand so far, this is nothing to worry about? All my seedlings are growing decently. The bhut's seem a bit slow, but they're growing.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I felt the need to add to the data here. This seems to be a common thing with fluoro lighting, because my Jalaps are also getting purple color to their leaves under a T5 Quantum Badboy. What's interesting to me is that the bulbs I have in the system are from a company on eBay and are not the standard bulbs that Quantum makes.

Quantum makes what they call "TRI-phosphor" coated T5 bulbs. If what the previous poster said is true about the mercury emmiting UV light and the phosphor converting it to visible spectrum light, then it is possible that higher quality bulbs like those made by Quantum may prevent the tanning of pepper leaves, in theory. Anyone here use the Quantum T5 and their Tri-phosphor bulbs?

Pretty neat hypothesis going on here.

Back