• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

LED farming

Nice article, I'm looking forward to using LEDs in a few years when they're more efficient and cheaper. Running a greenhouse year around with LEDs that don't double the electricity bill would be awesome.

Scientific American had an article about this. They don't allow access to it online without a fee, but here is the preview and some reader feedback you might be interested in:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-rise-of-vertical-farms

Just got my new toys yesterday.

About 2000 10mm LEDs (100+lumens each) , 1000 Stars. (80 Lumens each).Resistors and nylon screws...

IM004915.jpg

1/8th in thick,16in.X16in. Aluminium sheet to mount the stars.Makes 11 panels of stars.81 LEDs per sheet.

IM004916.jpg

Perf boards for the 10mm LEDS.Makes 15 , 12in.x 7 1/2 in Panels.125 LEDs per board.

IM004917.jpg

Let there be Light.

Wow, a warehouse all controlled by computer with plants stacked up sounds amazing! That article is pretty interesting, I read it yesterday and it got me thinking about the 4 LED par cans that I have and use to light staging....in fact these are the ones. Ive got them set up with equal red and blue at the moment. Obviously plant growth isn't their intended purpose, but they arent being used currently!

@SmokeMaster - Looking forward to seeing your lights up and running, looks like you have plenty to be getting on with :)

Back