• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Let the hardening begin!

I started hardening off my plants last night. My shelf setup has become a jungle and the plants are starting to suffer for it! A lot of the baccatum have grown so tall that they have reached the lights and started growing sideways and any direction but up.

I don't even have my raised beds built yet (new house) and I need to finish building a fence before I can start building them. It's going to be a busy weekend...

Here is a picture of 4 out of 6 trays:

IMG_20150514_181942_zpsfyujpwby.jpg

Greenguru said:
My High pressure sodium light really shortens the harden off process

I was suprised how strong they were after sitting under 6 T8 tubes! They only needed 1 day of hardening off, and even then I think i could have planted them into the garden without any hardening off at all.

I think that having a fan on them constantly also helped a lot. I remember growing seedlings without a fan, and they would wilt as soon as they got into the wind outside!

suchen said:

How strong is the sun in your area? Do you have high UVB-output bulbs?

Fairly strong...not at peak yet, but enough to give the average person a sunburn in 20-30 minutes. The bulbs were just your standard 6500k cool white bulbs.

The peppers get full sun from 9 am to about 2 pm, after which they are partially shaded by a big maple tree. See pics below...

IMG_20150518_171818_zpsy6qz5xud.jpg
IMG_20150518_171835_zpsrgcuexbi.jpg
IMG_20150518_171849_zpst7fr6kxw.jpg
IMG_20150518_171901_zpsvoker9eo.jpg

It seems to work! We have a ton of wild rabbits in our area. This morning there were 3 of them just chilling on the front lawn! Buggers.

Back