• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Lets compare tap waters!

What ppm's are you getting straight from the tap?

You don't have to be specific where you live, but general location would be nice...

This is just a fun thread, no specific meaning other than random knowledge.

Here in SoCal (not Los Angeles) I get anywhere from 200-300 ppm out of the tap.

What do you get? (do not include results after flitering, just straight from tap)

ps: damn you well water people ahead of time! My gpa in Maine has the softest water (from his well) I have EVER experienced!

Hardness in the low-mid 200s, with total minerals pushing 500ppm.   (Almost thick enough to plow!)

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/water/docs/wq201601.pdf

"Hardness:
Hardness measures the ease with which soap can be lathered. It is easier to produce a lather using soft water. Water hardness is generally divided into the following categories.
Soft 0 to 60 parts per million
Moderately Hard 60 to 120 parts per million
Hard 120 to 180 parts per million
Very Hard more than 180 parts per million

Mineral Content
Mineral content measures the amount of total dissolved solids, or TDS, in the water. The federal secondary drinking water standard for TDS is 500 parts per million. There are no health based limits for TDS in water."

500ppm here in central British Columbia. I have to use bottled water for my plants, and I chew my coffee in the morning.

Neil

I get about 50 ppm here in Colorado which I guess is pretty darn clean compared to most places. Our water mostly comes from local glaciers.

D0QaKkf.jpg

:confused:

Use the 5 gallon grocery store drinking water filter machines and get...
qbkwoZM.jpg

Also SoCal

You should all consider yourselves lucky.. I live in Glasford IL and apparently some people say it's cause were over a mine and others have other theories.. Anyway the water is absolutely horrible and no one in the town can drink it cause it tastes like salty shit water. They shock it once a month or so when people start complaining but I honestly don't even know if it's legal so I'm so glad op started this thread. Anyway this is a small village that only has about 2000 people and we have a small market that's basically a monopoly. They over charge on everything especially bottled water. It's around 3 dollars a gallon depending on the brand.. Turns out American water wants to run lines here but there's some old guy in his 70s named Harold and the political figures are all from the Rudd family and side with him. Basically Harold will be out a job so everyone has to suffer.. I've been to the village hall twice and asked for a water report and I'm told she can't give it to me because she's working on it now. I call bullshit.. Now the reason behind me asking besides the smell and taste of the water is I was told not to even give it to my plants when I moved in and the neighbors noticed that I was into gardening. Not that it matters because I have reverse osmosis but yeah.. This is shit and I really don't know where to turn to get the problem fixed so in asking for help. I tested the ppm the other day and it was through the roof but on average it's never lower than 1800 ppm and my RO system can only get it down to 60 but last week it was 2440 ppm and that's ridiculous and Pisses me off. I just tested it now and it is at 2100. Anyway thoughts or help That can be provided is welcome!

Now I can already hear it.. Someone is going to say that's 210 wtf you talking about? Well see the x10? That's times ten.. So 2100.. Also if anyone doubts me I'll make a video of it coming straight out the tap and one coming out of my reverse osmosis so that it's believe able.

Thanks
Mike

And sorry not trying to hijack your thread but you asked lol

@smileyguy627 - OH wow! And don't worry, I love the input. I have my own opinions on one person's greed versus the benefit of many... but I will keep it mostly to myself. You covered a lot of my thoughts in a microcosm anyways. Oh, and one last thing about the old people hanging on to their old ways - the young shall inherit the earth! (I actually mean that to be pointed at politicians with antiquated ideals, mainly)

Since someone else added theirs, my average ph in SoCal is 8.0

@ dubG  ...I wish I had my own glacier!

@stc3248 - LOL, I do the exact same thing (grocery store RO dispenser) for certain plants/situations/clones/etc. They just raised the price on ours to $1.75 per 5 gal. Was $1.25 last month. Luckily my TDS here is moderate, so I can get away with keeping a reservoir of tap water aerated to keep the chlorine and chloramine down, to be used with most of my plants.

smileyguy697 said:
You should all consider yourselves lucky.. I live in Glasford IL and apparently some people say it's cause were over a mine and others have other theories.. Anyway the water is absolutely horrible and no one in the town can drink it cause it tastes like salty shit water. They shock it once a month or so when people start complaining but I honestly don't even know if it's legal so I'm so glad op started this thread. Anyway this is a small village that only has about 2000 people and we have a small market that's basically a monopoly. They over charge on everything especially bottled water. It's around 3 dollars a gallon depending on the brand.. Turns out American water wants to run lines here but there's some old guy in his 70s named Harold and the political figures are all from the Rudd family and side with him. Basically Harold will be out a job so everyone has to suffer.. I've been to the village hall twice and asked for a water report and I'm told she can't give it to me because she's working on it now. I call bullshit.. Now the reason behind me asking besides the smell and taste of the water is I was told not to even give it to my plants when I moved in and the neighbors noticed that I was into gardening. Not that it matters because I have reverse osmosis but yeah.. This is shit and I really don't know where to turn to get the problem fixed so in asking for help. I tested the ppm the other day and it was through the roof but on average it's never lower than 1800 ppm and my RO system can only get it down to 60 but last week it was 2440 ppm and that's ridiculous and Pisses me off. I just tested it now and it is at 2100. Anyway thoughts or help That can be provided is welcome!

Now I can already hear it.. Someone is going to say that's 210 wtf you talking about? Well see the x10? That's times ten.. So 2100.. Also if anyone doubts me I'll make a video of it coming straight out the tap and one coming out of my reverse osmosis so that it's believe able.

Thanks
Mike

And sorry not trying to hijack your thread but you asked lol

http://www.watercheck.com/more.html

Or a lab like this one in your home state:
http://suburbanlabs.com/

You should really have it tested to find out exactly what is in there...once you have that data (if it is toxic) you can send the results to your local congressman...or news agency or...???

Back when I used to measure my water (when I raised fish) I would get 1,400-1,700 ppm with a ph of around 8. In the fish world they call it "liquid rock". African cichlids loved it. They grew good. But to raise anything else? Bringing it down with RO and then amending it to render it stable was a pain in the ass. Good thing my garden doesn't swim.

Back