• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Lets talk about fans

I'm growing from seed. I've read post about add a fan or I have a fan on them. But not a lot of info on fan size and whatnot. Searching gets me "I'm a fan of" too so it makes it tough to search everything. 

Mine are in the garage so the air stagnate. Small scale. One a 2x4 table, under 6500k led lights. Germ rates on my SB's have been great. Bolivian Rainbow hasn't been great. 2 of 6 so far and 2 of 6 of my biker billy japs. Zero of my red and yellow chiltepin have germed. I started all in condiment cups with lids. I started some more BR, BB and CP's using the paper towel ziplock method a few says ago so we'll see if those were germ better. But I digress. 

My starter soil looks great and the SB's are looking good even though they're only an inch tall and don't want to screw it up. Should I have a fan on them? If so just a generic fan to move garage air around or a fan directly blowing on them?

This thread blows! 

Go Patriots! yeah, i`m a fan. oh, that kind of fan. :doh:

i don`t really have much experience growing from seed but i think ventilation won`t matter that much till they mature a bit and growth is more dense. on the other hand a little air movement now won`t hurt them either and any type of fan that is gentle with output certainly wouldn`t hurt. 

I use a 6" clip fan on low setting pointed at them about a foot away. A little air movement strengthens the stems. It also causes the plants to use water faster. It can help keep the top of your starter soil from staying wet (risk of damping off and fungus gnats). 

Mr. West said:
I use a 6" clip fan on low setting pointed at them about a foot away. A little air movement strengthens the stems. It also causes the plants to use water faster. It can help keep the top of your starter soil from staying wet (risk of damping off and fungus gnats). 
This. A fan can and will avoid a lot of problems. Always use a fan

I'm using small starter trays with a dome . They are like 1.5" square and 2" deep. After the germ I've removed the dome. Plan on moving them to 4" pots from this. The top of the soil seems to dry pretty quick. 1-2 days and I'm spray watering. Using Espoma seed starter soil. 

I keep a small fan on that goes on and off with my lights.......it is a 10 inch articulating fan ....helps to strengthen stems and keeps the soil from staying to wet...I really think any kind of small fan to move a little air around plants is beneficial for health and prevention of disease.

Ruid said:
What about a box fan on low?
I'm using a box fan on low about 6 feet away from my mature plants. I've read posts that some growers do ~15mph wind speed  :shocked: but i say "shake it don't break it."

The clip fan should be enough for for 2x4 table of seedlings. I position mine on the side, as opposed to blowing down on them. 

Back