• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

letting trays dry out.

twice now I have accidentally let trays get too dry. I lost an entire 72 cell tray due to letting it go dry. I recently let another go dry but not nearly as bad and for a shorter period of time. I rehydrated it today. I am using a burpee self watering tray with a heat mat. Is there anything I could do to help it a little... I have a few serrano seedlings in it or do I just need to save the serranos and trash the rest?

If you dont use heat mat the moisture will stay inside the enclosure and should be moisted enough for 3 weeks or until the sprout.

i dont use a heat mat, i just use a aluminum tray with covers from the dollarstore and peat pellets. i just water the pellets a little hot maybe 50c, and wait 10 min and put the seeds on.. after 6-7 days they popped.. just sharing :drunk:

I use pellets, too, as well as a good potting mix in the larger cells. With the pellets I seed with 2-3 seeds, and with the larger cells, I like to put 6-7 of each variety. With the hot peppers, I need a heat mat since they're close to a window. Even this year 2 varieties took close to 5 weeks to sprout. I just hope they're REAL hot!

With the peat pellets, I put them in a shallow metal pan and pour boiling water on them - just In case they might be carrying something I'd rather not have with the seeds. I save each and every sprout that develops and share them with the store that sells the soils, kelp, etc. that I want to use. That way the guys at the store get to grow their 'exotic' ( as they call them) hot peppers and I get a discount.

Good luck to you and your gardens.

You could try increasing the humidity in the tray if you need the heat mat... Put a bowl or a tray in there with water, the more surface area you have the more humidity it will generate, the higher humidity the slower your peat pellets will dry out.

You could try increasing the humidity in the tray if you need the heat mat... Put a bowl or a tray in there with water, the more surface area you have the more humidity it will generate, the higher humidity let slower your peat pellets will dry out.
+1 to this!

Back