• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Life span of these here chilli plants

Beautifull leafy tall plants covered in pods one year

Ordinary pods leaves etc the next.

Daggy twigs with small leaves and crappy little pods if any the 3rd year.

Is this the norm or am I a crap chilli grower 3 years later?

I've even noticed that some breeds like the scorpions and Congo's only fuit big time for one year, then little to none the next, whilest other breeds like the habs, Aji's and afro devils are still pumping out peppers on the 3rd year. All in the same garden (spaced of coarse).

I've got heaps of seed so its no problem growing again, just wan't to know if this is normal for peppers?

It all depends on soil , water and sunlight.. for 1, then the type of pepper for another.. some peppers are more prone to die off after the season.. at least that has been my experience..

I haven't gotten to 3 year old plants yet. Last winter was my first time overwintering, but my 2nd year superhots did great. Some of them were monsters. I saved some of those, so this year they will be on their 3rd year. I cut mine back drastically, including the roots.

I have a few 3 and 4 year old plants that produce just like the first year if not better. But then I have some that do not. They will last forever if you treat them right and they don't fall to pest or disease. Just gotta constantly feed the older plants especially if they are root bound. I agree with the others cutting back and relocating will usually bring them back strong. If they are inground you may need to feed them even more.

I would imagine depleted soil is responsible for annual degradation. Simple put , your plants used up your soil :P

It may be good to change the soil and prune the leaves and roots back each year. Guru's overwintering method in the sticky is a good example.

I've never looked into it, but I imagine in tropical climates the plants are discarded after one harvest in a commercial plantation. There are probably cultivars that yield better in their second or later years, but these might be heirloom types and not the standard varieties commonly grown?

This is a 9-yr old purira doin' just fine

purira8.jpg

When they get that old, I imagine the main stem must be pretty huge (cue cries of "that's what she said").

Is it less 'pruning' and more 'cutting lumber' each winter? Or does it stop getting thicker if you don't let it get too big each year?

Back