• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Light burn on seedlings ?

Hey everyone! I hope I can get some information on what's going on with my seedlings as i am a brand new grower. Is this light burn on my seedlings ? This pic is of a Carolina reaper

I have it all surrounded by Mylar. Could that be causing hot spots? I have searched on here and found that light burn seems to be mostly on the tip of the leafs. This seems to be almost the entire leaf, and not all my seedlings look that way only about 3 of them have these little spots on them. My t5s are probably 5 inches away from the seedlings. Should I back off the light a bit or is there something else going on?
Here's my whole tray and first time growing from seed so if there's a problem I hope to catch my mistakes early!

With close T5s worry more about temperature than lumens. 

I doubt that is sunburn.  Overall they look quite good.

CAPCOM, what is a "CCW state"?

DMF said:

I got 2 14w t5s over them so it's not very strong. With seedlings should the temp be abound the same for them as they are for the rest of my plants?

Seedlings are more delicate.  Keep the temp below 90 if you can.  95 is marginal.  But this shouldn't be an issue if you have good air circulation.  High temps usually occur in enclosed setups like germinating flats. 

mrgrowguy said:
FWIW they look fine to me.   :)
As you can tell this is my first time growing peppers haha the leaves had some rough marks on the leaf in the top pick. Guess I am just being a little too cautious! thankyou

All good, glad you're growin at it!

I have seen a lot over years of growing peppers, and once you get to about the 4th node is where you can start to really judge a plant's health, IMO. Before then, so many factors can play a part that are tough to find the root cause. Though, usually over watering is the number one problem for most seedlings (not saying that about your plants, just in general. Yours look healthy to me so far).

But once the 4th node comes, take a pic and post it and the experts here will be able to give you a report on how they feel. If the new growth on the fourth node is healthy, green (not too yellow), and vigorous, then you are perfectly on track. If it is yellow, then you could be over watering or under feeding, plenty of possibilities at that point. But it will be easier to diagnose.

The only thing we could really know for sure on a seedling with only one node, is if it is hardening off (rot on stem) or over watered. Usually over watering causes the hardening off.

My advice - you're lookin good so far. Take a pic in 2-3 weeks and repost it for a wellness check :)

mrgrowguy said:
The only thing we could really know for sure on a seedling with only one node, is if it is hardening off (rot on stem) or over watered. Usually over watering causes the hardening off.

"hardening off" refers to acclimatizing a plant to direct sun and other outdoor conditions such as wind. 

The term you are groping for is "damping off" which is a fungal infection of the stem usually brought about by too-damp soil.

mrgrowguy said:
All good, glad you're growin at it!

I have seen a lot over years of growing peppers, and once you get to about the 4th node is where you can start to really judge a plant's health, IMO. Before then, so many factors can play a part that are tough to find the root cause. Though, usually over watering is the number one problem for most seedlings (not saying that about your plants, just in general. Yours look healthy to me so far).

But once the 4th node comes, take a pic and post it and the experts here will be able to give you a report on how they feel. If the new growth on the fourth node is healthy, green (not too yellow), and vigorous, then you are perfectly on track. If it is yellow, then you could be over watering or under feeding, plenty of possibilities at that point. But it will be easier to diagnose.

My advice - you're lookin good so far. Take a pic in 2-3 weeks and repost it for a wellness check :)
thankyou for the useful info! I will keep an eye on them . It never gets over 90* in my grow box(I have fans on 24 7 as well) I let the soil dry out before watering with water (at 6.0 ph) I will keep a log and all my updated on my glog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/57478-my-first-glog/#entry1228522
DMF said:

"hardening off" refers to acclimatizing a plant to direct sun and other outdoor conditions such as wind. 

The term you are groping for is "damping off" which is a fungal infection of the stem usually brought about by too-damp soil.
is damping off just refer to letting the soil dry after it has been over watered and has signs of rot?

DMF said:

Concealed carry weapon

Back