• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Light cycles

Has anyone ever experimented with light cycles? Like breaking them up into 6 hours on, 6 hours off? Or 8 hour cycles 3 times a day? Something of that nature; like forcing them to power nap?

check out Pic-1's glog. I know he has some type of light cycle like that but I believe his lights never go off, he fluctuates intensity I believe.

I had mine at 24, but recently switched to 18/6. Seems to be working very well. This system works well to grow in a vegetative growth cycle. I'm hoping that I can keep them going but not going crazy until I can move them outside.

I Leave my seedings 24 and my others that are blooming and i think i have 2 that are just vegging at 12 12 and every thing seems nice and healthy and nice growth but if i was just vegging 18 6 i would run

Nothing beats nature taking its course.

I can't wait to put my plants back outside, because whatever the Sun vs the rotation of the Earth does is the best.

When it comes to giving it to them artificially, I only know what I do from the best advice I can collect and personal experience.

Would be interesting to see some rigorous empirical evidence on this issue.

I wish I had the money for another setup to test it out. I think for now I'll give the 18/6 a go and grow them at night so they get ambient light during the day.

I have always stuck with a 16/8 cycle. I read somewhere that they need a rest period for proper photosynthesis, maybe it isnt true but. For seedlings I give them 24 hr light for the first 3 weeks after they sprout, then switch them to the 16/8 once I pot them up.

Nothing beats nature taking its course.

this isn't true when it comes to most plants, in fact depending on your area nature won't even allow you to grow certain types of plants. We can make plants do what we want much better than nature ever could. I have recently been thinking that I am going to start gassing my plants as well as altering their light to see how much I can alter their "natural" grow cycle. We already use nutrients that are not natural to the area where we want to grow, and some are more refined so they wouldn't occur in nature at all.

Even light cycles can be made better than what nature does, along with quality of light. Unless you are in the far northern tier you aren't getting a lot of 18/6 light cycles and the farther south you get that becomes an impossibility in nature.

Don't really need to, there is enough books on growing and the advancements in lights that easily show that with proper light manipulation you can do so much better than the sun.

Back