• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Light for desktop Chinese 5-color

I have a Chinese 5-color on my desk at the office. Its about 8" tall and was just starting to bud when I took it in to work. My office has no windows and the overhead fluourescents are not very bright. That said, the buds have developed no further.

I picked up a desk lamp and a 25 watt CFL, 5000 K color temperature and 1350 lumens.

Since a Chi5 can grow indoors anyway, is there reason to think this light won't perk the plant up a bit and make it flower/fruit?

If Its For One Plant It Will Only Work For A While. Proly Not For Flowering.

EveryOne Has there different setups or light fixtures i used 2 bulbs like yours about for like 3 plants it worked.

try it out but dont have the light fixture to close will burn the leaves.

I have a Chinese 5-color on my desk at the office. Its about 8" tall and was just starting to bud when I took it in to work. My office has no windows and the overhead fluourescents are not very bright. That said, the buds have developed no further.

I picked up a desk lamp and a 25 watt CFL, 5000 K color temperature and 1350 lumens.

Since a Chi5 can grow indoors anyway, is there reason to think this light won't perk the plant up a bit and make it flower/fruit?

you can proly put like a 3000k color temp...since most use those for the flowering/fruit..so like 1 3000k temp & like 1 5000k temp

Well, I kept a small habanero plant under a 20w "daylight" (6400K) cfl for a while and it did ok and even produced peppers (they were kinda small-ish). So I see no reason why it wouldn't work with your Chinese 5-color, but it probably wont be as full as it could be. If it doesn't work, just add more light, maybe a warmer one (closer to 2000K), as suggested. :)

Well, I kept a small habanero plant under a 20w "daylight" (6400K) cfl for a while and it did ok and even produced peppers (they were kinda small-ish). So I see no reason why it wouldn't work with your Chinese 5-color, but it probably wont be as full as it could be. If it doesn't work, just add more light, maybe a warmer one (closer to 2000K), as suggested. :)

That's good to know. Thanks!

i have grown in an "aerogarden" and had great success with plenty of peppers. (If i could keep the plants trimmed enough to fit). Those bulbs are 26W and there are two of them. It supported 3 plants quite well, other than the height issues associated with the "aerogarden"

hopefully that gives a little confidence. although a reflector/hood of some sort may be necessary. I think you will be surprised at how much the one bulb will help it out.

i have grown in an "aerogarden" and had great success with plenty of peppers. (If i could keep the plants trimmed enough to fit). Those bulbs are 26W and there are two of them. It supported 3 plants quite well, other than the height issues associated with the "aerogarden"

hopefully that gives a little confidence. although a reflector/hood of some sort may be necessary. I think you will be surprised at how much the one bulb will help it out.
You can make it through to fruit if you prune the plant canopy to 9" or 12" diameter and keep it there.

Great to know, guys. Thanks for the input. After just three days, the plant is becoming much greener. It hasn't even purpled the main stalk, yet. It has two tiny buds that have been arrested in development since I took it to the office (it was previously outdoors). At this point, the "canopy" is only about 7" in diameter. It is in a 6" pot.

Back